Independent play

kanga

Mummy Wummy
Reaction score
My baby is a bit of a nightmare at the moment, wanting constant attention whether it be me talking/singing to him or picking him up and carrying him round.

He doesnt want to lie down or even sit in his chair anymore. He will go in the jumperoo for a bit and sit on the sofa in his room for a bit (sometimjes the floor in his room but not the floor downstairs - weird!).

In short, he is really annoying me.

If I lie him on his playmat or on the floor, he just cried inconsolably until I pick him up or stand him on his feet.

He's only 4 months.

He has never been that good at playing on the mat

I see other peoples babies playing and being interested in things on the floor and all around them, and they are learning to roll and look left/right/over their shoulder, and my baby isn't.

Does your baby play indepenently, if so from what age?

If you have had similar problems, how did you overcome them.

I feel that if he just worked out he can roll, he would be so much happier and less 'bored' on his mat as his world would be so much bigger. Is there anything you can do to promot rolling or do you just have to wait until they work it out.

Sorry for the moaning tone of this, he has been so demanding for the last week, I am starting to pull my hair out.

Oh, and he cut his first tooth yesterday (so maybe I should give him a break :blush:)

Aw bless, maybe this last week he's been demanding because of his tooth? My LO is nearly 4months. He's rolled from his back onto his belly twice and seems to have no further interest in it lol. He'll play on his playmat for 10 mins or so but only really if I'm there with him. He doesn't like to be left alone and these past few days he's been whingy and wanting to be held all the time but he's had a cold so there's a reason. All babies develop at different rates. Maybe he's suffering some kind of separation anxiety? I'm sure it'll pass. And if I haven't been helpful then at least I've bumped your thread ; ) x

Isobel's separation anxiety phase started at 4 months, its difficult as they are sooo demanding of your attention but its just a part of development. If its this then he'll pass through it in time (maybe a few weeks though). The good news is this stage happens because they are learning about spacial awareness and your proximity to him (why he doesn't want you to leave) etc, so while he's being cranky he's also going through a massive learning curve and you may find by the time he "gets over it" so to speak he may be rolling and able to understand peekaboo games and concepts like boxes having things inside etc.

My baby is one day younger than yours and exactly the same. She has always been like this. Hates being on her playmat, other than for 20 min as soon as she wakes in the morning. The rest of the day she spends it laying next to me on the sofa. If I need to eat while she is awake, as she sleeps max. 30-45 min per nap, I put her infront of baby tv. I feel awful doing it, but I need to eat during the day. Sometimes I am just drained physically and emotionally that I need to nap while she naps.
I try and get in tummy time, and show her to roll and sit up, while with me on the sofa. This will not last for ever. She is bound to start walking before she is 18, and I will be free again.

Have you tried a jumperoo or walker? Alex loves being in his because he can actually see a pretty good 360 degrees of what's going on around him. If they are holding their heads up pretty well, there's not reason why they can't go into one :flower:

Thanks all. Will goggle separation anxiety. Its good to hear I'm not alone!

Ozzie, he loves his jumperoo, has done since 12 weeks! Its the only thing that alows me to get anything done (ie go for a wee!!)

I put Alex in his and run and take a five minute shower :haha: I usually throw on VH1 or MTV for him too cause he likes the music :)

I found I could leave my LO on a playmat for 30 minutes whilst Cbeebies was on so she had the option of watching or playing and she was about 12 weeks. This used to be my shower time and it was bliss not having to rush! Around 16 weeks she started playing properly so I could leave her in the walker for an hour whilst I pottered around the kitchen or on a baby gym in he other room or the door bouncer. She's a very content little girl and for a long time now has played by herself completely happily crooning to her toys. I play with her a lot, but it's nice to have the option of putting her down upstairs and spending an hour downstairs knowing there won't be any tears.

That's lovely for you Jessica :flower:
Thanks for sharing

Have googled SA and prety sure it isn't that. Grr

Hi Kanga, I replied to your other post saying my baby is like this. It's not SA it's just his temperament, spirited! It's hard work but it's who they are and they will be so much fun later on. My LO wants to do all the things he can't do and he wants to be with people not toys. If I lie him on his gym mat I can literally see him thinking "Christ, not this bloody thing again, I was so over this at 10 weeks!!!". I just try and get out a lot. I wrote a post about this a few weeks ago and there are others with similar babies. I do find myself getting jealous of friends babies who can happily play with a bunch of keys for an hour but he is who he is and I love him loads.

Sorry, you asked does your LO play independently and from what age?! So I answered!

If you want other questions answered then I'd give your LO some slack, teething is painful! They usually come in two's so they may be another one arriving soon!

Hi Kanga, I replied to your other post saying my baby is like this. It's not SA it's just his temperament, spirited! It's hard work but it's who they are and they will be so much fun later on. My LO wants to do all the things he can't do and he wants to be with people not toys. If I lie him on his gym mat I can literally see him thinking "Christ, not this bloody thing again, I was so over this at 10 weeks!!!". I just try and get out a lot. I wrote a post about this a few weeks ago and there are others with similar babies. I do find myself getting jealous of friends babies who can happily play with a bunch of keys for an hour but he is who he is and I love him loads.

I agree, my daughter has always needed a lot of stimulation and I've often been told it's a sign of intelligence :)

My LO is 4 months as well, and she used to be pretty content in her swing watching me work in the kitchen. Now she starts fussing and crying for constant attention too! Tonight she wouldn't stop crying unless I was holding her and walking around with her. Just holding her wasn't enough, which was a bummer because I work a pretty physical job with animals and I just wanted to sit down!

She doesn't seem interested in toys really...she gets bored easily. She will do tummy time and roll from side to side as long as I'm there and the dog is there. My big dog is her best friend.

:thumbup:

Much appreciated. The perfic way to look at it really :hugs:

Sorry, you asked does your LO play independently and from what age?! So I answered!

If you want other questions answered then I'd give your LO some slack, teething is painful! They usually come in two's so they may be another one arriving soon!

:shrug: I know you did hun, wassup?

:shrug: I know you did hun, wassup?

Ohhh! Sorry! My iPad didn't recognise the flower symbol so it put a question mark in its place. It looked as if you were being sarcastic!! I felt bad as I realised I hadn't answered all your questions and that you may have thought I was bragging! Sorry!

LO is amused for 5 minutes at a time, always has been :dohh: Im hoping the next one will be a bit more chilled out lol x

We go through these phases. I never know when they're coming. Usually I'm missing her tired signals and then I get the whole day messed up with her naps and pay for it with a day of a clingy LO. The one thing that works is her 30 min Baby Einstein dvd. I save it for the point in the day where I really need a break!

I agree, my daughter has always needed a lot of stimulation and I've often been told it's a sign of intelligence :)

what they said, definitely! My LO gets so bored she wants interaction constantly, its can be draining but I just accept ive got a little eager character on my hands and she is going to be into everything and learning so much as soon as she can. :)

I have this sometimes with LO, needs entertaining some days more than others.

I thought she would love the Jumperoo, but at the moment goes in it 15 mins maximum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->