Induced birth - do you get to decide?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by xarxa, Apr 14, 2009.

1. xarxa

xarxa Playin Conan while waitin

Recently there has been alot of discussion about induced birth in the media in Norway. Currently induced births aren't even considered until you are atleast 2 weeks over due date, even though studies have shown the deathrate of newborns increases drastically(about 60% i think they said) after only one week over due date.

this freaks me out. Is this normal?

2. faun

faun Mum to 2 boys and 1 girl

I was booked in for an induction 2 weeks after my due date but luckily she decided to make an apperance the day before i was due to go in. So yes i think 2 weeks is quite normal but i'm sure other ladies will be able to tell you more.

3. Vici

Vici Mum to a LTTC princess!!

Do they not even induce you if you are experiencing problems a few weeks before EDD. My firned has been in hospital for 4 days and was induced yesterday at 3 weeks early because she has pre eclampsia developing xx

4. amylw1

amylw1 my 3 boys in avatar. x

different countries have different rules. 2 weeks is the norm b4 induction in the uk unless there are problems with pregnancy.

5. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

I don't know where this info has come from, the death rate is nowhere near that! While it is true that the death rate for normal babies can as much as double, the numbers involved are so low the risk goes from one in 1,000 to two in 1,000. This means that the risk is still extremely low. It is important to remember that you are not really overdue until you go over the 42 weeks as a normal human gestation period is 38-42 weeks.

I went to 42+2 with Kaya and I was offered induction, I refused it and chose monitoring instead - they monitor the HB, the movements and the blood flow to the placenta.