Inducing ovulation without Clomid

MemmaJ

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for the long post....

I posted on this forum a couple of months ago regarding a possible implantation bleed I'd had at 10 DPO, and it all looked very positive for a BFP (excuse the pun!). Unfortunately it wasn't to be, and AF showed up (a few days late, with another few days spotting in the days leading up to it). I think that was in October, and again we were unsuccessful in November.

I went to see my GP - even though we'd only been TTC 6 months, I felt very strongly that something wasn't 'right' as I was having this irregular bleeding/spotting, which I'd never had before, intercourse was becoming painful (in my pelvic/abdominal area), and some months I wasn't getting what I would class as a definitely positive OPK (including in November).
Call it woman's instinct, but I know my cycle and my body and I knew something wasn't quite right that was contributing to us not conceiving.

I was told OPK's are a waste of time and money (as I expected her to say), but luckily she did agree to look into the irregular bleeding. She arranged a pelvic ultrasound, a speculum examination to look at the cervix, some general 'infection' swabs, and some baseline hormonal bloods (not at any particular point in my cycle, just 'whenever'). She also commented that I looked quite anaemic, so threw in a Full Blood Count test too.

The first result back showed that I am quite severely anaemic so I was started in iron tablets. Kind-of expected that anyway to be honest.
Next result back was the swabs, which showed I had bacterial vaginosis (never had it before and didn't have any symptoms) - so I had a 5 day course of Metronidazole gel pessary. Cervix was said to have looked normal.
Then came the scan - which unfortunately showed that I do have ovarian cysts. The sonographer told me at the time that I had cysts, and showed them to me on the screen. She counted 9 on my left ovary, and said there were 'more' on my right. She also said that the size of my 'dominant' follicle at the time, didn't really tie in with where I was in my cycle, so it appeared I'm not ovulating properly.

Went back to the doctor who confirmed I have 'mildly' polycystic ovaries and my hormone blood results were 'borderline'. She said I'm 'probably' not ovulating regularly - but after being so thorough before, I felt she then completely then dismissed me. She basically said to keep trying and it 'might just happen'. I asked about Clomid and was told I'm not entitled to it as I am not a first-time mother - and she basically just sent me on my way without any indication of the PCOS being monitored, or even a repeat swab to check that the BV has gone. But before that, she had the cheek to ask if we're 'sure we even want to do this' because we 'haven't even been together that long' (my partner was with me) :growlmad:

I feel very deflated and now just feel like it's never going to happen. I knew something wasn't right, and I was right - but now I know that nothing's going to be done about it (short of going private, which we can't afford any time soon - we'd have to save), I feel really flat.

I've been looking into other ways to induce ovulation and Vitex has been mentioned a lot...

I just wondered if anyone has any experience with this, what has worked for them/other people, or any suggestions as to how to go forward or get any further with the GP.

Thank you all very much :)

I am probably not the best person to answer this, as my experience is very limited. I tried Vitex for about a month this year. I had thrown away the birth control pills in February, and by April I was impatient. I was 35 years old, and in a rush to get pregnant. I bought my first bottle of vitex in April, 400 mg, capsules. I took it for a full month, and then in May went to the NP, did a bunch of tests and found out I did not ovulate. I had to schedule to see the OB. She immediately put me on clomid, and I tossed the vitex away.

I chose the clomid route because I was so impatient to get pregnant. Vitex can take up to 3 months to regulate in your system and get you to ovulate, plus I wasn't 100% certain that it would work for me as I was not certain of underlying medical issues.

That being said I have heard WONDERFUL stories about Vitex, and for women who don't want to go the synthetic medication route it seems to be a great success. In general, Vitex just takes a little more time, while clomid is more immediate (in terms of getting you to ovulate). Had I not felt like my days to have babies were numbered, I probably would have stuck with the Vitex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->