Induction after previous c section?

kayleigh&bump

Mum to Finnley & TTC #2
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but wondered if anyone has ever been induced after a previous section or are hoping for this, this time around?

I had an emergency c section under GA with my son after getting to 10cms (undiagnosed breech), and also had to spend 14 days in hospital afterwards due to being very poorly. Right from the word go, Ive said it will be another c section this time round. I would love to go for a VBAC, but I need to be in control this time, as all sense of control was taken away from me last time. Not being in control again terrifies me. Now the more i'm thinking about it, the more im wondering about being induced.

I really do not want to go through another section... the horrible recovery, the risk of being ill again afterwards, having to look after two children after, the stay in hospital etc. But like I said, I just need to be in control, and if thats by having a planned c section, then so be it.

But im thinking... what about being booked in for an induction... say at 39 weeks? Then, I would know a set time and date, they could scan me to check the position of the baby, and at least I would have a chance of having a VBAC, and potentially being allowed home the day after.

When I had my son, the hospital was literally only 5 minutes in the car away. But now, they have moved the hospital to 45 minutes away, and this is the main reason why I want it to be controlled. If I was to go into labour spontaneously... then have to wait for someone to come get my son, then get to the hospital, it could all be too late. I went from 0-8cms within 2 hours with my little boy, and of course he was undiagnosed breech, so it was really touch and go.

I am seeing my new consultant on thursday so im going to ask him all about this, i just wondered if anyone has been booked in for an induction (not going overdue), after a previous c section? Do they even do this?

PS - ive looked at the NICE guidelines for induction, and it says this...

"Previous caesarean section
If delivery is indicated, women who have had a previous caesarean section may be offered induction of labour with vaginal PGE26, caesarean section or expectant management on an individual basis, taking into account the woman’s circumstances and wishes. Women should be informed of the following risks with induction of labour:
•
increased risk of need for emergency caesarean section during induced labour
•
increased risk of uterine rupture."

anyone know exactly what this means?

hi. im getting took in at 38 weeks to have lo , after 2 prev c/s , but with my last son i was going 4 vbac but never got induced with him . he ended up a emerg c/s aswell . but that was over 15 years ago maybe things have changed , sorry its not that helpfull . good luck :flower:

Thanks for your reply :) So are you getting induced at 38 weeks this time, or is it another section? x

yeah another c-section because ive had 2 before i asked for a vbac but was told no because of the risk of utrine rupture and my age .

Ive spoken to my consultant about this and he said if everything goes well with the pregnancy he would love me to try for a VBaC. My last section was after a failed induction as baby was too big.

He said I would be CONSTANTLY monitored so no wandering round hospital (due to the risk of uterine rupture which is a tiny percentage) and they couldnt use full strength prostin gel this time xx

Ive spoken to my consultant about this and he said if everything goes well with the pregnancy he would love me to try for a VBaC. My last section was after a failed induction as baby was too big.

He said I would be CONSTANTLY monitored so no wandering round hospital (due to the risk of uterine rupture which is a tiny percentage) and they couldnt use full strength prostin gel this time xx

But they will induce by other methods right? My son was 9lb 13 at full term so another reason for me thinking about induction around 39 weeks is that the baby might not be quite so big. I'm just a bit unclear as to whether the hospital would be likely to agree to this :shrug:

If i neeed the prostin they will give it me but not as strong a dose as before.

My little boy was 10lb 5oz

xx

I might be wrong but I thought they werent usually very keen on inducing after a c-section and it's very rarely done/allowed? I think because the risk of uterine rupture is higher, which would already be a risk with a vbac...

I heard that the risk for a rupture is actually very small, about 2% but it depends on how your first c-section went. I'm just going to have a repeat c-section and get it over with :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->