induction after waters breaking...

spud25

Reaction score
Hellloo,

I mentioned earlier that my waters broke at 1am last night and ive been waiting around for contractions.. No such luck so trying get some sleep before i go in to be induced in two hours.

My question is if my waters have gone, what method of induction will they use as if internal examinations run a risk of infection surely pessaries etc do also? Will it be straight on a drip? Is this better or worse?

Im trying not to be petrified!!

Im not sure about the induction method but good luck and lot s of labor dust!

Sorry didn't want to read and run but with my ds they gave me just over 24 hours then started pitcon? Cause I was failure to progress I had contractions they just wernt doing anything :( hope bub comes out for you

Worth keeping in mind that you can refuse induction if you like :)

This has happened to me with both of my kids, and they did it via drip. I'm in the U.S., I have no idea if they do it differently in UK.

My experience with both were fine, though my second almost failed and resulted in C-section. She finally came at the last minute. Niether she nor I suffered any abnormal physical trauma from it despite it being a long labor. My second felt very easy. Partly because I'd "been there, done that".... so, for instance, I told them when I went in with waters broken, "If you get to where you think you'll need to administer Pitocin, then I would like an epidural during the progression of labor. If you don't, and my body labors on its own within the 24 hours, then I'm ok without an epi."

Only because I learned with my second that Pitocin-induced contractions are a whole different animal than any contractions my body was having on its own.

Try to relax, be open to various methods of pain relief, as this won't be a 'normal labor' as far as your body's response, and don't get frustrated. It may not be super smooth, but it may be.

Bring stuff to do... there's nothing worse than 'sittng around in the hospital waiting for something to happen'... I wished I'd had stuff to keep me busy. ;)

they will usually give you the pessary before giving you the drip to induce.
the pessary takes up to 6 hrs to work and if that doesn't work they will definately induce you as the baby is not protected against infection anymore.
they will also give you a drip with antibiotics as well whilst you're being induced, to stop infection as your waters went a while ago.
48hrs is the longest that they will leave you for, i know this from personal experience. xxxxx

good luck, you will be fine. and make sure you eat before you go in, as they wont let you eat once you're hooked up to the drips, dont drink or eat anything with cafeine in it.
avoid anything with glucose or sugar as this can make the induction take longer xxxxx

I went straight on the drip. Just so your prepared because my waters had gone over 18 hours before my lb was born they had to do swaps of the placenta and baby to test for infection. These are 48 hour cultures so you may have to stay in a while i was on 36 hours before my swaps came back group b strep positive i then had to stay another 48 hours whilst they gave lo iv anti bs which could have gone to 5 days but wasnt nessecery.
Anyways what im saying is just be prepared for a long stay because i wasnt and i got v upset about it

Thanx everyone for your replies. I will update in a couple hours when i find out! X

aw i hope it goes well for you hun, one things for sure... you'll never forget it xxxx :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->