Induction at 41+6, natal hypnotherapy and water birth

cupcakesarah

Reaction score
After three sweeps and nearly two weeks over I went in to be induced I was very nervous but couldn't wait to meet my little boy.I went in on the Sunday morning to be induced, I was monitored first for about an hour and examined, my cervix was still back but about 1cm open then the propest pessary was inserted. They then put me back on the monitors for another 30 minutes. We were then told to walk around so we went for breakfast and walked around the hospital.

Returning to the ward about an hour later they moved us from the labour ward to the maternity ward. Nothing really happened for a few hours, we carried on going for walks and I read my book. About 2pm I started to get period like aches. All the midwives were doing was checking my bp and body temperature. They really were not interested. When they came round at 4pm i expressed my discomfort had dramatically increased, again not interested. It was getting more uncomfortable, I was trying to do the visualising and breathing I'd practiced with natal hypnotherapy but it didn't help at that point. By 6.30 I was in so much pain I could barely sit still every time it had what u now know was contractions my hubby had to furiously rub my lower back. At no point did my contractions cover my entire bump just the bottom half which I think is why the midwives didn't believe I was in labour. The midwive dealing with me was truly horrible, saying she could tell by looking at me that I wasn't in labour.

My husband was getting really concerned about me and worried about the lack of attention. All afternoon I constantly felt like I needed a poo but couldn't go which was obviously the pressure on my cervix. By about 7.15pm my husband told them I wanted the pessary removed and we would leave and go to another hospital. They now decided to put me back on the monitors which I had to lie down for which sent me into a massive panic attack as I could not sit still within 30 seconds the midwife said was having contractions (a different nicer midwife to before), but she still wanted me monitored for 30 mins, I negotiated her down to 15. The whole time I was shaking from head to toe because of my panic attack. At 8pm they had a shift change which brought me a fabulous new midwife, she was fantastic. She examined me I was 3-4cm so she said I could have drugs. I was scared of g&a making me feel sick so she offered me a diamorphine shot with antisickness which I had about 8.30pm. They still left the pessary in because I was on the cusp of 3-4cm. I lay down again as I started to calm down, it made me sleepy. By 9.30pmi felt a sudden gush between my legs, I was on my side and couldn't see, hubby had a look and my watershed broken plus my plug and a load of mucus came out. The midwife came along examined and removed the pessary, I was now 5-6cm. I had a surge of adrenaline again and kept wanting to go to the loo still,the effect of the diamorphine just went. She called along to labour ward to get the birthing pool filled. We walked along at about 10.15pm

I wasn't allowed in the pool for 2hrs after my diamorphine injection so I was pacing round the pool plus it was still being filled. Sitting on the toilet and pushing. The midwife and student midwife wanted me to get off the loo as I think that thought I might deliver there. But until I could get in the pool I sat there as it eased some pressure. My contractions still hadn't changed much and were still only in the lower half of my bump and on my back.

10.30pm came, I was in the pool. The relief of the warm water. I kept moving around then settled kneeling with my head on the side. Hubby was putting flannels on my forehead. The midwives were fantastic I had the one in charge of the ward and a student. I kept getting the urge to push with each contraction. I felt between my legs and felt something hard. The second time I did that I told the student, I was asked to go on my bum so she could look and the head was there. So we started pushing, 3 pushes and Isaac was out, 11 minutes after starting.
I pulled him through my legs and held him infront of me, I wanted to do delayed cord clamping but he wasn't breathing so they did it after a minute put him on the resuscitation table and called for doctors, I was surprisingly calm, within 5 mins he cried and I had the injection to remove the placenta. I came out of the pool. After that happened I had some stitches for some superficial tears, I had gas and air for this despite refusing this previously. It helped.
On reflection my natal hypnotherapy definitely helped once in the pool and would recommend this as a method of preparing. I'm lucky to have had such a short labour and for my healthy baby boy to arrive. Birthing pools are brilliant, the relief it brought was just what I needed. I was very proud of my labour and how well I coped especially as I thought I'd end up like my sisters with c-secs.

Isaac arrived at 11.15pm on Sunday 17th November. He has changed my life forever and I love being a Mum after a difficult TTC journey that ended with a successful first round of IVF. I call him my miracle baby.

Congratulations if you got to the end, it's a bit longer than I thought.

Congratulations on your miracle baby! Thank you for sharing your story, I like how you turned an induction and an unpleasant start into such a calm birth story!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->