Induction or c-section?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by MyTurnYet, Nov 15, 2011.

  1. MyTurnYet

    MyTurnYet Surprise - pg with #2!

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2010
    Messages:
    4,869
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am currently 40+3 and have had some pregnancy complications that make it risky to go too far past 41 weeks and that also may make a c-section safer. Basically, I was on bed rest for 10 weeks with a slight placental abruption. Thank God, the baby has been doing/ growing just fine (he's actually in the 92 percentile). I also have a large uterine fibroid that poses a small threat of emergency c-section if trying to deliver naturally becasue my uterus may not contract properly and the baby may not be able to get past the fibroid. And the baby is estimated to be very large and going overdue is making him larger, still.

    So I've been waiting to go into labor on my own, but need to have a plan since it looks like that may not happen. The doctor today gave me the choice between a scheduled c-section on Friday or to try naturally first with an induction on Monday, knowing I have a lot of risk factors that may lead to a c-section. There is a small chance of issues with my fibroid, a large baby, and that the placental abruption could become larger if I go into labor (which is life threatening to both me and the baby).

    Obviously, neither option is ideal and I'm torn and was hoping to get others experiences with either c-sections or inductions.

    Please no lectures on intervention-happy doctors, blah blah. My doctor would not be advising either option if it wasn't necessary.

    I want to do what is best and safest for the baby.
     
  2. crazylilth1ng

    crazylilth1ng Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2009
    Messages:
    5,032
    Likes Received:
    245
    Sometimes a c section actually IS the safest way for some people. I have been advised to "consider my options" due to a past shoulder dystocia delivery and I am leaning towards a section at the moment as the birth was very traumatic.

    The thought of placental abruption is just as scary. And I'd be worried that contractions would make the placenta comd away before baby is out... But it's up to you... Sometimes with all the risk factors in the world things go smoothly!!
     
  3. Carly2310

    Carly2310 Mum to 2 fab boys!!

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    214
    Likes Received:
    0
    I was induced with my first and ended up with a section anyway, I had a placental abruption during labour.
    However I can't really advise you of what to do as it's your decision entirely and one only you have to live with :)
    What I can do is tell you that having an elective section is easier to get over than an emergency especially if, like me, you lose a lot of blood before the emcs.
    Maybe talk it through with your doctor and ask what he thinks is for the best, obviously if you have a sucessful induction then you'll be recovered much sooner but if you feel a c-section is safer then do that, you have to do what's right for you and your LO.
    Good luck either way, I hope you have a stress free delivery and easy recovery whichever way you decide.
    HTH
    x
     
  4. MyTurnYet

    MyTurnYet Surprise - pg with #2!

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2010
    Messages:
    4,869
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you so much, crazylilthing. Shoulder dystocia is one of the things I'm worried about with his size. Was that a factor for you? Is your LO ok now?

    The thing is, so much is unknown...his size measurement could be off, the chance of the fibroid affecting delivery is small, and the placenta could be fine now (it's impossible to see on an ultrasound because the suspected tear was small), but we just don't know. It's a lot of factors adding up, though. Then there are risks of having the induction, too, since it makes your contractions harder.

    I really appreciate your advice.
     
  5. MyTurnYet

    MyTurnYet Surprise - pg with #2!

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2010
    Messages:
    4,869
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you very much, Carly. Do you think you have more of a chance of abruption with inductions because the contractions are harder? It helps so much to have your experience.
     
  6. Carly2310

    Carly2310 Mum to 2 fab boys!!

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    214
    Likes Received:
    0
    I don't know for sure but I was told the risk of abruption goes up with induction :shrug:
    Don't know how true that is though....
    x
     
  7. MyTurnYet

    MyTurnYet Surprise - pg with #2!

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2010
    Messages:
    4,869
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ok, thank you, Carly. I'll try to do some research...thinking I'll call the dr. tomorrow and ask him that question, too. Thanks so much.:hugs:
     
  8. Carly2310

    Carly2310 Mum to 2 fab boys!!

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    214
    Likes Received:
    0
    No worries! Happy to help whenever I can :)
     
  9. cinnamum

    cinnamum Mumof_6_PREG W#7

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2009
    Messages:
    3,692
    Likes Received:
    18
    i wouldn't risk it unless you're planning on having another baby (and you're stressing), as a c-section lowers your odds of a successful vaginal birth later on (which is why i am struggling to decide what i want to do) i was worried people would come onto this thread and lecture you on natural birth.
    it doesn't seem like you personally have much of a choice, you should do what is safest for baby. :hugs:
    having said that... if you go for the induction and nothing goes wrong, you'll be soooo pleased that you did (i guess that this is why you're undecided).
    i have been induced with one and i had a c-sction with my second so from experience, yes the induction was a nicer outcome but the c-section was shorter.
    you never know what is round the corner, every labor is different, if you're already panicking over the situation (which is perfectly natural) i would opt for the c-section and get down mothercare and buy all the proper post-partum pants and cooling pads as they DO work and you WILL need them!
    i am only saying this as my c-section was a bit of a surprise and i had nothing for a c-section in my hospital bag, even my pants were wrong and rested right on top of the scar!!! OUCH!
    good luck hun xxxxx
     
  10. ilovebabybean

    ilovebabybean Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    0
    I think you should def go for the section with all you've got to risk. Thats def what i would do if i was you...ive been advised by midwife and consultant to have a section as it is the safer option for me and my problems are nothing in comparison! Have you asked the midwife/consultant what they think? Id use their opinion and go for which they think is the safer option for you, its not like you have one problem, there are quite a few different risks there, something they will have more experience of and advise you best in. If you were induced looks like you risk an emergency c section anyway and possibly a more complicated one than if you went in planned...hope you are ok honey sounds like you are going through it at the moment, bet you cant wait for this to all be over and have your baby safely in your arms...my vote is for you to go for section but ask consultant/midwife what their opinions are xxx
     
  11. crazylilth1ng

    crazylilth1ng Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2009
    Messages:
    5,032
    Likes Received:
    245
    size was a factor. And thankyou... Yes she is ok now. My daughter was 9lbs 3oz and while it's not HUGE, it is big enough to cause a shoulder dystocia (certainly for me anyway). This LO is getting monthly growth scans and so far appears to be smaller than Sofia was so fingers crossed.

    You do seem to has a lot of risk factors... But those aside, we just never know how it will play out.

    Induction of labour is yet another risk factor for a shoulder dystocia. I was induced when I had Sofia and have since found out that the induction, coupled with her size added to the SD. Also, if you are on the pitocin drip, you have to be constantly monitored and are stuck on your back for hours, pushing that way too unless you are lucky enough to get a super competant midwife (which unfortunately I didn't).

    Don't get me wrong, I've been induced twice in the past and the first time it went ok, but my first baby was only just 5lbs8oz at full term so tiny. I couldn't compare the pain of induction to natural contractions as I've never gone naturally.

    Good luck with your decision though :)
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice