• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Induction over a caesarian for spd/pgp?

Summerbabyx

Reaction score
Hi girls,
I’m currently 32 weeks with my second baby and have been signed off work since 16 weeks with pelvic pain, it’s now gotten to the stage where I have been housebound for the last 2 months, have crutches and each step or turn over in bed is complete agony! My gp suggested to me quite early on that I should think of having a caesarian to lower the risk of damaging my pelvis any further, especially as my first birth was very long, was very nearly a caesarian but ended up having forceps instead. However after speaking to the consultant today she refuses to give me a caesarian, saying it’s a very risky operation with too many risks but she would let me be induced at 39 weeks instead?
I just don’t know how to feel about it all really, does anyone have any experience with giving birth while having spd? I’m petrified I will do further damage and I know everyone’s experience is different to having an induction but does anyone have any positive stories? Thanks so much x x

I gave birth with SPD twice, after my first (part induction after waters went but I didn't dilate) who was delivered via foreceps, I wasn't out of bed at all the first day but the next day I got up and the pain was completely gone. With my second I gave birth with no assistance and the pain lingered until I stopped breastfeeding which can happen because of the hormones if I remember correctly. Mine wasn't so bad that I got given crutches but I had severe, constant pain from I think 20 then 15 weeks and no giving birth didn't make it worse. Hope that helps! :)

Aw hiya thanks for replying!
That sounds so positive thank you, that would be a dream if I got up the day after and the pain was gone! 😀 I did think that an active labour was off the cards for me to be honest so thanks xx

I would honestly try to find ways to make it possible for you to be comfortable enough for a vaginal birth, if it was me. I had horrible SPD with my first, but I was able to treat it with regular osteopath appts, home stretching and regular swimming. I have pelvic and low back issues to begin with (that aren't pregnancy related), which made mine especially bad. I could hardly walk when I was around 31 weeks with my first. But I kept up with the osteopath and my stretches and swimming (3x a week, it's a hassle, but it really made a huge difference) and it completely went away by 34 weeks. I went into labour naturally at 37 weeks and had no issues at all. I literally squatted on and off for 4 hours in labour and was completely comfortable (from the SPD, at least). This time around I've done the exact same things when I started to get some SPD and I've never fully developed it. I had a slight touch of it starting around 30 weeks, but that was it. I'm 36 weeks now and feel fine and am on track for another natural birth.

If you haven't tried osteopathy, please do. It was truly a lifesaver. They should give you some stretches to do (I would avoid any actual strengthening exercises, often you get sent to a physio and they give you exercises to do to strengthen the pelvis, etc. I wouldn't do those as you might end up damaging your pelvis is it's misaligned). And the swimming. It's a pain and means my husband has to take over some of the day to day parenting so I can have time to do it, but it's made a world of difference.

But yes, even for me when I felt horrible and was in so much pain, with effort, I was able to have a perfectly fine natural birth, so it's possible.

I had SPD with DD and she was the easiest labour and birth I had out of my three children. I didn't have any drugs until the last little bit where I used a little gas & air, and the SPD was gone pretty much immediately. I was 38+1 when she decided to make an appearance

I had SPD (although not as severe as you, no crutches but I was off work at 20 weeks) with my last and she came super fast. Maybe because the ligaments are more loose?

And honestly hours after the birth it was fine. The way their body and head affects your pelvis, once they're out the pain is gone and it's just recovery. From my knowledge and experience.

I would definitely try an induction rather than straight to a section!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"