• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Induction questions

Mother of 4

Mom to 5 & pregnant
Reaction score
Ok ladies I'm not looking for induction horror stories by any means...just a little information. At my appt yesterday I talked with my dr as this is new territory for me to still be tugging along with the pregnancy. She wanted to know what my plans were. She asked if I wanted to be put in the books for 39 weeks and she recommended not doing it if I wanted a better chance at a vaginal delivery...which HELLO...YES I want to deliver vaginally:thumbup: So anyhow...it looks like the plan of action is to go in for my 39 week appt. next Friday then put me in the books for sometime around 40 weeks or maybe a couple days after if my body won't go naturally. Now keep in mind I know I have 2 weeks still for my body to go naturally...I'm just planning a course of action in case my body doesn't go:thumbup:

So my question is how does induction work...do they just start you on IV meds to get it going? I know the contractions are more intense as I had pitossin (spelling?) with my first child but that was only after labor started and halted. Also is it a good sign that my body will take to the induction if I'm already dialated to 2cm or does that not matter at all? Thanks at all for any information ladies and please no horror stories as that's not what I'm looking for :hugs:

In the US and Canada, they usually just hook you up to an IV and then start dripping with pitocin. It starts out with a very slow drip and then they increase it as time goes on/you progress.

If you are already dilated 2cm, and this is baby #5, then I don't think you should have much of a problem as you are already "favourable" and your body is well-adapted for labour already.

The problems with inductions tend to arise when a woman is not favourable (not dilated, not engaged, just plain not ready).

With my daughter I had a little pill inserted into my Vajay-jay to get my cervix a bit more ripe. I was put on a IV right away then given pitocin to get the contractions started. I think that the problems arise when baby is not ingaged yet, and cervix is still hard and long. But like above poster said this is number 5 and your already at 2cm :) I know that my contractions were back to back...there was NO breathing. I made it to 6cm before getting a EPI. But once I did that things moved alot faster. So I would just say, only do what you can:) There is help there if you need it :D

BUUUUUTTT FX for you that this doesnt have to happen!! I would hope for natural for everyone, pitocin is NO FUN!

Yep I'm hoping two weeks is long enough for this little one to do her thing...just in the planning stages and if she comes sooner I'd be SO happy :) Woohoo mommyof2peas...you're 38 weeks today :)

For #5 and 2cm dilated, I really can't imagine you going right until 40 weeks!

I was very lucky (except being 13 days over!). I was already 3cm dilated (with zero symptoms) so all they needed to do was break my waters.

Good luck :)

I'm 2cm and fully effaced.

I'm down to be induced a week on Monday but the midwife said ' but we won't need to 'induce' you we will just take you straight to l&d and break your waters as we can easily get to them and it should kick start it'

Maybe they will do this to you aswell?! Good luck!

I'm 2cm and fully effaced.

I'm down to be induced a week on Monday but the midwife said ' but we won't need to 'induce' you we will just take you straight to l&d and break your waters as we can easily get to them and it should kick start it'

Maybe they will do this to you aswell?! Good luck!

Yep that would be nice if I don't go into labor naturally if my water was bulging and they could just break it :)

38 weeks tomorrow lo stupid ticker for some reason is 1 day off....I think its a time zone thing :) But yes nearly there! Im getting pretty excited now :)

I was induced with baby#3 and had no problems. Went in and had a drip of pitocin started at 9am, had the baby at 332pm. Seeing that your body has done labor before, that's always a plus, sometimes it just needs a kick start with the pitocin.
I will be 40+3 at my next appt and will beg for an induction as I was measuring 43cm as of last week!!!! I do NOT want a csection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"