Induction vs c-section Large baby

MandyV

Reaction score
My baby boy is measuring big almost 5 pounds at 31 weeks dr said for me to have another scan at 36 weeks and see if he is still measuring big, and if so we can discuss induction, personally I'm not a fan of all the meds they give u to induce labor and the potential of a long labor process

If anything at all I might opt for a c section instead of an induction ( I can live with not going thru labor) besides the longer recovery for me I think it wool be safer for baby than the meds given for an induction an if his to big I dont want forceps being used or tearing

What are ur thoughts ?

yes i think c section is better idea in big babies case,good luck and i wish you the best

My baby was 5lb 11 at 32 weeks, I'm having an early induction. I personally think you should do some research before making your decision. There are actually more risks involved in a C-section for you and baby than in a natural labour, so have a good read x

Yes I have mOre reading to do on the matter I want to be fully informed. I think I'm also nervous b/c my dh is going to pass out :( he's not good with seeing people in pain or blood or anything in that nature and I just truly want him to be awake for the arrival of our 1st baby, so I think for selfish reasons I'm thinking c-section = less time and as long as he doesn't look over the curtain no blood for him to see.

But I know that I have to do what's best & if he passes out he passes out :(

Try not to worry, I'm sure DH will be ok either way. Just keep him head end and make sure the midwife knows his disposition :haha: the blood n gunk is all after baby comes so just get him to keep focussed on your face and encouraging you until baby is wrapped up and given to you both. You'll both be too fascinated with the bubba to notice anything else I'm sure :hugs: x

I had a scan at 33 weeks and my "little" bundle was measuring 7lbs!!! I have a scan this coming tuesday at 35 weeks. I met with my doctor and he said he will not induce for a big baby and that in the states they will usually do a C-section if baby is going to be close to 10lbs and here in Canada it is 11 lbs. I'm sure each doctor will be different and will have an idea what is best for his/her patient, but it's a tough decision to make...

good luck and I hope everything works out for you the way you want it to...

i agree that with a big baby i would be worried about having intervention like forceps.

my first was 11 6 onz my labour did not progress because he was simply too big.

in terms of research just make a list of all the questions you would ask and then google it. things like do big babies have higher occurance of forceps use, is labour progression reduced because of big baby, what are the risks of giving birth to a big baby and then obviously go for the other side and find examples of birthing larger babies

my personal opinion to me a larger baby is between 9 and 10 lbs, 11 lbs is a very big baby and as this one is going down the same weight path as my first it is looking like c section is my most sensible option

im having a csect im 38 weeks and my not so little man is weighing 9lb 3!!!! the thought of having to give birth would scare me lol!

I think I would sooner induction myself as the scans aren't very accurate for sizes! But the choice is yours did they actually give u the option! Don't think my hosp do anything for a big baby except maybe induction around due date
Lou
Xxx

I am having a big baby and my hospital won't induce or give me a c section for this reason alone.

Ya my dr said after another scan in two weeks we can discuss scheduling an induction or possible csection depending on size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->