Infacol & Gaviscon.

XKatX

Reaction score
Can I give Infacol, now we've started with the gaviscon? Anyone know?

HI...tbh i didn't know there were gaviscon for babies...i just used Infacol for Lo's wind xx

I dont think there would be a point, gaviscon will help with the wind. Personally I wouldn't use both if possible.

We use gaviscon & gripe water

:D

gripe water is natural, infacol has medical components.... as does gaviscon.

we;ve been using infacol since about 10 days, the MW recommended it!

There is nothing wrong with infacol, my point was just that gaviscon and infacol do the same thing basically... Help with wind and gas etc. So rather then give the baby a bunch of stuff, see if just the gaviscon does it because it should take care of it.

My friends son had reflux bad and the gaviscon completely eliminated any gas and wind he had.

I wouldnt want to give both if I could help it so just see how the gaviscon works. If he's still windy why dont you give gripe water a go first so you're not adding another medicine?? x

When Jacob went on gaviscon we dropped everything else and just gave this and gripe water :) Gaviscon brings the wind up good tho so sometimes dont need gripe water XxX

Thanks guys, I'll see how he goes. I haven't given any Infacol since we got the Gaviscon yesterday and he still seems to be winding ok so far. Fingers crossed.
And he seems to be keeping more of his feed down already!!!:happydance:

yaaay glad to hear its going good!

Gaviscon doesn't do anything for my LO's wind, in fact I would say it sometimes makes it worse. She has infacol when she's having a really windy phase, and gripe water if its just a one time thing.

I'd say see how you go with just the Gaviscon and then if LO still gets wind use infacol; or gripe water.

ETA - Gaviscon and Infacol don't really do the same things, Gaviscon thickens the feed up making it harder to bring back up, Infacol makes all the bubbles of air join together and come up as a big burp. Also, Infacol isn't absorbed into your babies blood stream so there is really no harm in giving both if you think it is neccesary

Maybe your Gaviscon is different then ours, but here gaviscon is an anti-gas/heartburn over the counter product. So yes, gaviscon and infacol do the same thing. Gaviscon doesnt help bring up wind, it helps prevent wind from happening.

I work in healthcare in a hospital, so I am quite familiar with both products.

I wonder if its a bit different here as its not available without a prescription here?

I wonder if its a bit different here as its not available without a prescription here?

Maybe, but people dont give it to their babies unless it is prescribed by a doctor... most wouldnt anyways, There are still people im sure who woudl give their babies all sorts of things.

Nope, here Gaviscon is used to thicken milk and make it easier to keep down. Only given on a prescription and you can't buy it over the counter, so I would say yes, it is different. And I have a LO with severe disabilites, and I am familiar with all the medication she has. I don't give my baby something without knowing what is it and what it does.

Gaviscon is great isn't it! we would be lost without it. Jack has been so much better since he has been on it. here in Ireland you can buy it over the counter but it has to be recommended by your Doctor.

I'm using Infacol and Gaviscon as ollie is really windy so needs the infacol really to help him. As far as I'm aware Gaviscon thickens the milk to keep it down and Infacol helps bring up wind. Infacol isn't absorbed in the body so isn't harmful x

Infant Gaviscon IS available over the counter here... you just have to ask for it!!!! And it DOESN'T thicken the feed apparently (according to my HV, GP & pharmacist!)

The active ingredients of Infant Gaviscon are not absorbed into the bloodstream. Instead they work by reacting with the stomach contents to form a gel. This gel thickens the stomach contents, making it more difficult for them to be refluxed back into the food pipe and be regurgitated.

Infacol's active ingredient is Simeticone (activated dimeticone) which is an antifoaming agent to relieve flatulence. It also does not get absorbed into your baby's body.

The pharmacist advised me that you can use both together quite safely, but try to give the infacol about 20-30 mins BEFORE the feed for it to work properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->