Infant gaviscon not working...? Help please

ladybrock

first time mummy
Reaction score
Been using 2 n bit weeks now was working and has stopped him vomiting but hes still not great and past teo days ive noticed these shptoms

Gruntin/swallowing
Arching back
Random crying especialy after having hiccups

Should i go back to doctors n ask for something else?

Any one have experience?

Sounds like reflux. Gaviscon is great for some babies, but did nothing for my son. We went on to ranitidine and then omeprazole. I would go back to the doctors if I were you. Good luck, it does get better. My son is a year old and we're finally reflux free.

yes go ask for something else, gaviscon is usually the first course of action and then if that doesn't work (it very, very often doesn't) they will give you something else.

Cool hate seeing him squirm after a feed. Should be enjoyable but its not takes forever to settle

As already said gavisgon is always tried first. Didnt work for my lo tho. She was then put on ranitidine and told to keep on with gavisgon. Still didnt work! Then refered to a paed. She is currently on omeprazole and has gavisgon and carabel in the bottle to thicken it. Are you ff because carabel which you can buy yourself is very good. Could also try cow and gate anti reflux too. Go back your dr and tell him its not working and dont let them palm you off cos some do.

As already said gavisgon is always tried first. Didnt work for my lo tho. She was then put on ranitidine and told to keep on with gavisgon. Still didnt work! Then refered to a paed. She is currently on omeprazole and has gavisgon and carabel in the bottle to thicken it. Are you ff because carabel which you can buy yourself is very good. Could also try cow and gate anti reflux too. Go back your dr and tell him its not working and dont let them palm you off cos some do.

i'm just about to give my LO carobel for the first time in his next bottle. can i ask if you think it made your LO constipated?

No it actually is the opposite. It makes her poop more runny!

Yes im ff
We put gaviscon in his bottle

Hes moaning after a feed now. Never wS like that before

Do your little ones seem windy too?

Yes im ff
We put gaviscon in his bottle

Hes moaning after a feed now. Never wS like that before

Do your little ones seem windy too?

for ages i thought my LO had reflux but he was not really responding to reflux meds and when we started weaning he got a bad rash after having yogurt so now we think it's a dairy intolerance and they are trailing him on dairy free formula.

i think you should go this week and get something better for the reflux, if that doesn't help still ask for a referral to the paediatrician.

unfortunately it's something you have to push for, my baby is now 6 months and they've only started to take me seriously this week!

Hmm yea i do wander about an intolerance too i mentioned it to my docs and they sent me back to my health visitor. They wernt much help tbh

I'm sorry you're not having much success with your doctor. We were very lucky, had an amazing doctor who quickly recognised the signs of CMPI and once we'd tried all the reflux meds, which helped to a degree, got my son on neocate and referred to a paediatrician. I'll never forget the day, 4 weeks after starting the neocate, that L drank a whole bottle in one sitting with no squirming, crying, or grunting. Such a relief!

Whats neocate?

Hes been fussing since his feed at 2 and finaly hes gone to sleep in his bouncer but he wont lay down in his moses asket n go to sleep whats that all about?

Whats neocate?

Hes been fussing since his feed at 2 and finaly hes gone to sleep in his bouncer but he wont lay down in his moses asket n go to sleep whats that all about?

Neocate is a special formula used for babies with a cows milk protein intolerance. The milk proteins in it have been broken down so they dont cause an allergic reaction i.e reflux. My lo tried nutramagen which is another formula like neocate but refused to drink it...it is very different and smells disgusti
ng tho.

Yep, what welshgem said! It's a nasty taste but my son got used to it pretty quickly.

The lying down thing is probably due to reflux too, babies find it uncomfortable to lie flat as it causes acid to rise up into the oesophagus. You could try putting a couple of books under the legs at the head end to raise it, this often helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->