Infected c-section scar - tips for healing?

Flower_Girl

Reaction score
Hi all, my section was nearly 5 weeks ago, but a week ago last Friday the scar had split in 3 places, small surface splits about 1 cm long each.
I went to the docs on the Friday to be told it was fine...
However the splits didn't settle down so I went back to the docs last Tuesday, they gave me a course of antibiotics which I finish tonight but there is still one split just over a cm long which is oozing, smells unpleasant :sick: and won't seem to heal over at all.
I have been keeping the wound clean with soap and water every day as advised by the docs but my scar is very tucked away under my new extra bit of baby tummy and its v.hard to let the air get to it, which I think can't be helping it to heal.
I am planning to go back to the docs tomorrow as I think I will need more antibiotics/antibiotic cream to get this sorted.

Has anyone else had a similar c-section experiance? If so did you use anything on the split scar to help it heal and how long did it take to sort itself out?

I had a c section 7 weeks ago. My wound didn't get infected, which I put down to bathing everyday with salt, tea tree oil and lavender oil. I also walked about for around 10 minutes after the bath without anything on to ensure the wound had dried. Hope this helps.

Hi,
My scar got infected also....i had a couple of splits, 1 didnt heal so altogether i had 2 sets of antibiotics. I have the dreaded "over hang" also, and like u couldnt air the area all that well.....but what i did was shower every evening when OH was about to watch LO, when i had finished i led on the bed for 15/20 mins so the area could air then i put some baby talc on it to keep it dry. It took a good 2 weeks i suppose for it to be completley heeled, but im still paranoid it will split again so i get OH to look all the time!!! Hope this helps alittle, and good luck at the docs.

xxx

Just in case this is of interest to anyone in future...I went back to the docs today and have been prescribed an antibiotic cream. The doc reckons that my scar is still split and not healing due to the fact that it is not getting any air to be able to dry out. (There isn't any swelling on my scar and it is not causing me any pain, it's just the splits in the scar and the smell that tell you its not right! Letting the air get to it is impossible unless I lie down and hold my tummy up, which really isn't practical with a newborn to look after on my own).
I've been advised to clean the scar twice a day with a salt solution and apply the cream twice a day for a week so fingers crossed this sorts me out!

Hiya, my mw cut me when she removed my stitches :cry: to stop it getting infected, I used sudocrem which I swear was the reason my wound healed so well :)

mine split too - i had the antibiotics and i kept it clean and dressed with thick gauze for a week, i couldn't let it air as there was a lot of bloody pus dripping out... yuck!
I also used to wash it gently and then lie on the bed naked for about 30 mins and apply a fresh dressing. as the pus stopped, i'd only wear a dressing when paranoid and now it seems (fingers crossed) to be healing fine. Although i still live in fear it will get infected again!!

starrybean - I hadn't thought of sudocream! I should have tried that really but was a bit worried about putting anything on the splits.

mherkes - ouch :-| sounds like you have suffered a lot more than me :hugs: I hope you are ok now and it settles down for you.
I know what you mean about living in fear of it getting infected again, i think I will be like that until it is 110% healed!

I have had a bit of a setback with my scar as it has split open again tonight and was bleeding a little when I cleaned it earlier :cry: My LO has been crying on and off all night (tummy ache I think) so the constant bending to pick him up and trying to settle him has caused my scar to split :-( hopefully it will heal over soon.

Hello i had a c- section 13 weeks ago now, my wound got infected and opened up about an inch wide and deep, after weeks of anti-iotics it did not heal with no air getting to it. I was left by GP for many weeks and wound just got worse.

Iv now been on a cocktail of anti - biotics and several types of dressings and wound still hasnt healed after 13 weeks, tried silver dressings and now on honey based ones.

Im a staff nurse by profession and would not used sudocrem on an infection as antiseptics can irritate wounds and it is abit too strong.

Be strong with your dr as they messed me about with has made the wound worse and im angry with myself for letting it happen.

Im soooo fed up with it now i could cry constantly as 3 months on i still have no progress. Hopefully the honey will work. Been told it could be MRSA today by nurse but they cant swab till Wednesday . All crap.

Sorry for moaning but leaving my wound exposed to air just bred more infection so please be carefull.

Hope you feel better soon xx

Hi, I have had infections after both of my sections.

It is not advisable to bath when you have them, as you are just sitting in water that isn't always clean, so they sat it is best to shower.

Manuka honey, expensive stuff, but can be bought from a health food shop, take a teaspoon a day by mouth, works wonders, apparently it has a healing agent that heals from the insides out :thumbup:

Hello i had a c- section 13 weeks ago now, my wound got infected and opened up about an inch wide and deep, after weeks of anti-iotics it did not heal with no air getting to it. I was left by GP for many weeks and wound just got worse.

Iv now been on a cocktail of anti - biotics and several types of dressings and wound still hasnt healed after 13 weeks, tried silver dressings and now on honey based ones.

Im a staff nurse by profession and would not used sudocrem on an infection as antiseptics can irritate wounds and it is abit too strong.

Be strong with your dr as they messed me about with has made the wound worse and im angry with myself for letting it happen.

Im soooo fed up with it now i could cry constantly as 3 months on i still have no progress. Hopefully the honey will work. Been told it could be MRSA today by nurse but they cant swab till Wednesday . All crap.

Sorry for moaning but leaving my wound exposed to air just bred more infection so please be carefull.

Hope you feel better soon xx

Sorry to hear you are still suffering :hugs: I hope the honey works and you are feeling better soon xxx

I am feeling better, my scar seems to be healing over with the antibiotic cream applied twice a day and I am cleaning the wound with a salt solution so fingers crossed it continues to improve.

Thanks for the replies ladies :flower:

I had exactly the same experience as you hun. I had my baby girl in december by emergency c-section. First few days were hard but I felt I was making good progress. As soon as I got home my lower stomach got hard and there was leaking yellow liquid from my scar. I only noticed because all my clothes were coming off really stained. It got to the point when I couldnt leave it without being dressed because it was literally pouring out of me. I got really upset and depressed and my healing took a major set back.
I went back to hospital and when they looked at my scar I had 3 holes. One on each side and one in the middle. One was 1cm deep and the other was 3cm deep.
Ill be completely honest with you. It was a horrible experience and at the time I was unable to cope but once I got the right antibiotics and I was refered to district nurses to dress my scar each day I found it alot easier. I still was unable to shower properly for months and felt disgusting but slowly I was able to get in and out of the shower with waterproof dressings and 2 months to the day my daughter was born I had my dressings removed!!!!!

As with the horrendous labour, I have completely forgotten about my horrible c-section infection.. THANKFULLY!

What I do suggest is REST! I totally tried to push myself to do all the normal things a new mum wants to do and it was not possible. Keep your wound clean and eat properly as it helps healing!
Besides that there is not much you can do. xxx

I had exactly the same experience as you hun. I had my baby girl in december by emergency c-section. First few days were hard but I felt I was making good progress. As soon as I got home my lower stomach got hard and there was leaking yellow liquid from my scar. I only noticed because all my clothes were coming off really stained. It got to the point when I couldnt leave it without being dressed because it was literally pouring out of me. I got really upset and depressed and my healing took a major set back.
I went back to hospital and when they looked at my scar I had 3 holes. One on each side and one in the middle. One was 1cm deep and the other was 3cm deep.
Ill be completely honest with you. It was a horrible experience and at the time I was unable to cope but once I got the right antibiotics and I was refered to district nurses to dress my scar each day I found it alot easier. I still was unable to shower properly for months and felt disgusting but slowly I was able to get in and out of the shower with waterproof dressings and 2 months to the day my daughter was born I had my dressings removed!!!!!

As with the horrendous labour, I have completely forgotten about my horrible c-section infection.. THANKFULLY!

What I do suggest is REST! I totally tried to push myself to do all the normal things a new mum wants to do and it was not possible. Keep your wound clean and eat properly as it helps healing!
Besides that there is not much you can do. xxx

Sorry to hear you had such a bad time of it :hugs:Glad you are ok now :)

I think my scar is healing quite well now, the twice daily application of the antibiotic cream and claening the scar with a salt solution seems to have done the trick. The scar itself is now just quite a dark pink but from what I can see there are no splits in it anymore so i am hoping this is the end of my issues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->