Infertility w/ no insurance?

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by catielove, Nov 14, 2011.

1. catielove

catielove TTC w/ PCOS- med free

Just wondering if anyone else is going through the infertility treatment process w/ no insurance? DH and I have really awesome insurance for almost EVERYTHING else (including adoption reimbursement) but it doesn't cover the diagnosis or treatment of infertility. No clomid, no IUI, no IVF, no nothing. :(

We're trying cinnamon, soy isoflavones, argenine for the hubby, and geritol. I hate thinking that we might not get to have children of our own because of some stupid insurance crap. (We do not have the funds to drop $10k per IUI/IVF or more. :cry: )

I know there's gotta be at least one other person out there doing the same? Lol. I'm trying to stay positive and laugh about it but it's HARD!

2. MrsC8776

MrsC8776 Mom to twin girls!!

DH and I don't get covered either :( it's sad and hard to think about. We are doing IUI's which costs a lot less but it's still rough sometimes. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

3. Angel baby

Angel baby Well-Known Member

My insurance doesn't cover and it sucks. We have been paying out of pocket. I'm just doing my first cycle of clomid/IUI and it's 950.00 per cycle. I'm not sure how many cycles we can keep that up. So hopefully this one will do the trick.

4. jenniferttc1

jenniferttc1 mommy of 1 baking #2

Most insurance does not cover infertility treatments which is horrible and should be changed! Can I ask if you have had any blood test done to see if you ovulate? Or if there is anything medically wrong with your cycles?

5. Angel baby

Angel baby Well-Known Member

By the way, insurance covered my HSG because it was medical and covers some of the lab work needed.

6. catielove

I hate that there are others in my shoes, but it's also comforting to know I'm not alone. Hubby and I have already decided that we will not be paying out of pocket for IUI or IVF for a while. (Like at least a couple of years.) So the only way we're going to get pregnant now is if we can do it w/ herbs and vitamin supplements. :/

I'm going to start changing the way we eat as well, so that we can both lose a little weight. Poor hubby has gained so much weight in the past 6 years of our relationship. lol. (To be honest, so have I!) Losing a bit of weight can only help us further.

7. MrsC8776

MrsC8776 Mom to twin girls!!

Good luck with ttc! It would be great it vitamins and herbs worked for you :)

I think when we looked to see if we were covered they said 7? states require infertility to be covered. Wish I lived in one of those states!! lol

8. catielove

I went to an RE, and she told me I have PCOS. Which I kind of knew already. She didn't draw any blood or run any tests though. So I really don't know what her aim was. lol. She seemed like a bit of a quack to me!

9. jenniferttc1

With pcos, that would mean problems with non ovulatory cycles, I would def. give soy a try for a couple of months before paying out of pocket for clomid.
    I didn't have pcos myself, just very low progestrone, which was weak ovulation but I managed to get pregnant with levels of 6 of progestrone.
    I do have a friend that was ttc and got pregnant 3 times with pcos, 2 ended in miscarriage, but that was due to low progestrone levels in pregnancy. But the third time she used clomid to start ovulation since she only ovulated about 2 times a year and got pregnant the second cycle and was put on progestrone supplements after confimed positive pregnancy and has a healthy little boy now!

10. jenniferttc1

Also like to add to this post.
    A nice balanced diet, and weight loss (if you have a higher BMI) with pcos can actually make it better. Can help get your cycles back and ovulation :thumbup:

11. catielove

^Yep, hubby and I are both starting to change how we eat so we can drop some weight. In general we're not unhealthy, but we are both overweight, so losing can only help us. :D

The RE prescribed me progesterone, but didn't do bloodwork first to see if I needed it. So I have a rx for prometrium, (which is natural I guess) but I don't want to fill it if I don't need it! And I'm not going back to that RE.

12. catielove

*bumping*

Anyone else in this situation?

13. jenniferttc1

It can only help! We tried for 19 cycles, and I started working out alot and lost 20 pounds in about 2-3 months. I was still in my normal weight range, but my cycles were starting to mess up a little and it got those righto on track and got pregnant.
    Is she wanting you to start the prometrium after ovulation? You could always just walk into your regular doctors office and get a progestrone test done around 7 days after ovulation to check your levels. Lower progestron can make it a little harder to concieve, I was placed on prometrium after I got my positive test until cause my levels were still low of pregnancy, and it really does work great!

14. catielove

She told me to start taking it right away. Once a day before bed. :/