Insect repellent

Miniegg27

Reaction score
I'm going on holiday tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had taken repellent with 50% deet in it. I've read mixed reviews about it. Is it safe to use?

I wouldn't risk it as everything that is put on your skin is absorbed into the bloodstream and although in small doses, can be passed to the baby.

I wouldn't personally use it.

I did hear something today that supposedly works to keep the mosquitoes away. Never personally tried it but apparently if u rub a dryer sheet on ur hands and arms and then carry it in ur pocket it prevents bug bites. Again no idea if it actually works but I think I'll try it out and see :)

Ok thanks ladies. I don't know what else to try as I'm usually prone to mosquito bites.

R u going to be in one area? There are some really good candles and tiki torches that u can burn to keep them away also

Also make sure to bath w scent free and don't use perfum or anything like that. It attacts them even more

They have bracelets you can get, also off brand has that new little fan that you clip to your pants that keeps bugs away!

I lived in a hot country for the first few months of my pregnancy. You are actually more prone to mossie bites while pregnant as your body temp is higher and you release more carbon dioxide.
Take a mossie net with you to sleep under if you can, wear long sleeves and pants. I also used sun cream with insect repellent in every day which helped. And burned citronella candles which were good.

But I did use repellent with deet in it most days. I usually get eaten alive and I tried not to use it but my bites were even worse while pg, plus I really reacted to them. You could try getting the spray one and spraying it on your clothes but yes I used it on my skin and my mw was fine with it and baby is fine so I would do it again! There is no evidence that deet causes birth defects so at the end if the day it's up you whether it not to use it. There are a lot of products on the market that don't contain deet. Where is was living there was malaria and dengue fever transmitted by mossies so it was more important to me to protect myself using deet as I couldn't take anti malaria tablets. You need to weigh up the pros and cons really

Avon Original Scent Skin So Soft. Seriously, I used to work in traffic control and would be in places that the flies and mosquitoes would eat you alive (swarm you) and deet did NOT work for swarming. I just carried around the Skin So Soft and it worked better then anything I could have used and the bonus was that I smelled really good :) No harsh chemicals.

Hi Bonnie - I know it's been a while since your post on mosquito repellents.... but I'm a newly expectant mom getting a bit freaked out that I've used DEET-based (30%) insect repellent during the first few weeks of my pregnancy when I didn't know that I was pregnant. I used good amounts of it all over my legs during hot summer days... and then found out that I'm pregnant(!). SO HAPPY and grateful for the pregnancy, but now, I'm really concerned about the use of the insect repellent during the first trimester, when the baby is supposed to be developing its neurological system. :( It seems that there has been NO study done looking at the potential effects of DEET-based repellents during the FIRST trimester of pregnancy (only the one study during second and third trimesters). Now, I'm looking for some hopeful stories that show that few incidences of DEET-based repellents did NOT affect babies.... What concentration of DEET did your repellent have? And did you use it during the first weeks of pregnancy? Thanks so much for any insight!!!

I asked my OB about it, as I am normally prone, and pregnancy makes it worse. She said it was fine as long as I'm reasonable (ie don't spray directly on face, wash hands afterward, etc) and don't ingest it. I actually still gotten eaten alive, even with it :(

Thanks Tina! Does your repellent have DEET in it? If so, what's the strength/concentration? I used one that said 30%. Wondering if your OB said something with DEET (30%) is okay too. My doctor wasn't very clear - that's why I'm still confounded. Thanks!

Mine was 50% (deep woods off here in the US).

We hike lots in the Canadian Rockies and while this year hasn't been too bad I'd rather use a good deet repellant than be eaten alive. You don't need to put it on your skin to be effective! I spray it on my shoes, jacket cuffs, hat, and back of neck on my shirt/jacket. Avon and lavender has never worked for backwoods mossies - in fact they like the smell of some of those herbal remedies. I prefer to prevent West Nile Virus by not allowing yourself to be bitten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->