Insomnia?!

Sophie2015

Reaction score
I'm 4 weeks pregnant and have developed insomnia every night. No matter how tired I am I can only sleep 3 hours then I'm wide awake. This is so odd for me. I'm usually a sleeper. Anyone else?! I thought all these hormones were supposed to make you sleepy.

Oh you poor thing. I get insomnia normally but also even worse in pregnancy but for me not until about 25 weeks. Before then i find i sleep quite well.
Hope it doesn't last long for you.

Oh yuck! I've always suffered with insomnia, but it always gets worse during pregnancy. I consistently wake up around 3 or 4am to pee and then can't fall back asleep. And yes, I'm dead tired all the time too!

Shellgirl- I just wake up. Period. But I sleep great during the day. I'm tired after I sleep but not sleepy. Just tired. I've never had a successful pregnancy so hoping this is a good sign!

This has been happening to me ! Initially I go to bed fine but I wake up in the night and cannot fall back asleep! Just toss and turn like crazy

Yes that's me.
I normally sleep quite well (very rare insomnia), but now I'd sleep for 3 hours then wake up, sometimes I manage to go back to sleep right away, but sometimes I stay away for longer due to the gas pains and nausea. Then I'd just lie in bed, eat a few dry pretzels and wait till I feel better.
Actually, unexplained insomnia was one of those symptoms that convinced me that I was pregnant!

Well it's been a week now and I'm still not sleeping. Wake between 1-2am every morning and awake til the sun comes up. Surely this will eventually end and I'll be back to the good sleeper I used to be?!

Insomnia in the first trimester is because of hormonal changes, anxiety and sleep disturbances due to having to urinate frequently. Progesterone makes us so tired and we will be in the sensation of not being able to keep eyes open. We may react by napping during the day or falling asleep on the couch after work. This then gets us out of our normal sleep patterns. Try to avoid long naps during the day. Try taking a walk or finding some other activity instead of sleeping. Go to bed at the same time every night, even if it’s earlier than “normal” pre-pregnancy schedule to get some extra sleep.

I have been having the same issue. I am about 9 weeks along and I have been tossing and turning almost every night. :(

I am usually a sound sleeper and this isn't normal for me. My days are pretty busy so I am just exhausted at then end of the day.

My doctor said that it is normal and 'good' that I am having pregnancy symptoms. He said it is a sign everything is working correctly.

Good luck and I hope you get some sleep!

I have been having the same issue. I am about 9 weeks along and I have been tossing and turning almost every night. :(

I am usually a sound sleeper and this isn't normal for me. My days are pretty busy so I am just exhausted at then end of the day.

My doctor said that it is normal and 'good' that I am having pregnancy symptoms. He said it is a sign everything is working correctly.

Good luck and I hope you get some sleep!

Sooo reassuring!! Thank you for posting.

Do you wake up because you feel unwell, or just wake up not being able to sleep?
Because I usually sleep well, but ever since I'm pregnant I have trouble getting good sleep.
Usually if I have a filling dinner then I'm sure to wake up in the middle of the night with gas pains/ stomach issues.
But I have found out that if I separate the solids and the liquids (say I eat some solids earlier at night, then followed by some soup an hour or two later), I tend to sleep better. I don't know if it was just luck, but I tried it for several days and it worked. Then I ate noodles for dinner (soup + noodles together) and last night I didn't sleep so well.

Do you wake up because you feel unwell, or just wake up not being able to sleep?
Because I usually sleep well, but ever since I'm pregnant I have trouble getting good sleep.
Usually if I have a filling dinner then I'm sure to wake up in the middle of the night with gas pains/ stomach issues.
But I have found out that if I separate the solids and the liquids (say I eat some solids earlier at night, then followed by some soup an hour or two later), I tend to sleep better. I don't know if it was just luck, but I tried it for several days and it worked. Then I ate noodles for dinner (soup + noodles together) and last night I didn't sleep so well.

I just wake up!! Wide awake every morning between 1-2am. Grrrr

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"