Instead Cups and Sperm Donors

Me_Mi

Reaction score
My first LO was conceived with the help of a sperm donor. Now, we are trying for our second. I recently had an early miscarriage, and it is about that time where I start ttc again. For women with experience using instead cups...

I am using the method of having the fresh sample in the instead cup, and inserting the cup with it in there. i took the cup out this morning....and it doesn't even look like anything really swam up at all.

Is this possible because I am just trying at the wrong time of my cycle, or is it something to do with the donors sperm?

No, it's fine! I'm using donor sperm and an instead cup (we use a speculum, coat the cervix, and then insert the instead cup), and had the same worry at first. Sperm IS getting into your cervix. The sperm can leave the semen behind.
Unlike IUI, the sperm isn't washed and inserted directly into the cervix. Yes, some end up getting tossed, but it's the same as regular ejaculation inside the vagina.
Even with the instead cup, to be sure, I lay down for about thirty minutes, and make sure to reach orgasm, or at least get excited enough with a vibrator that I know the cervix has been doing its little dance. That ensures as much as possible gets inside.

But really, don't worry! Remember, as insane as it makes us that it doesn't always happen so easily, it really only does take ONE sperm.

Ditto everything KahluaCupcake just said :thumbup: (which, by the way, a kahlua cupcake sounds quite yummy!!)

I had read somewhere that after inserting the Instead Cup you should sit up straight in a chair... that way you are "dipping" the cervix into the semen?? I'm certainly not an expert on this... but i do recall reading that somewhere? Maybe you should do a little online search to see if that's true....

Kahlua -- Where did you order your AI supplies from (speculum, etc)?

I heard about sitting straight up too. It's something to do with the angle of the cervix. I do worry a bit about the "creases" in the insead cup myself. I use it "backwards" to make it a bit more shallow. I worry if I'm messing with the suction that way, but I think it's all right.

And haha, thanks! Kahlua is actually the name of my Flame Point Siamese ("Color Point") kitty. He's a right pain in the arse, but he's our baby. ;) We had Kahlua and Bailey until Bailey passed.

Thanks so much for the response ladies, and you are right, I think the TTC rollercoaster can make us forget it really only takes one sperm to get pregnant, lol.

That totally makes sense kahlua, about the semen being left behind even though the sperm swam up into the cervix. I noticed when I took the Instead Cup out it was much more 'watery' and a little bit more clear than the original donation.. lol. I just worried because it still seemed like a lot of liquid, all in all.

Out of curiosity, how long have you been ttc with instead cups? I read somewhere that instead cups can sway in favor of a boy baby, where as similar cups like "diva cups" sway in favor of a girl baby (something to do with the diva cup not being right up against the cervix like the instead cup is.) Have either of you heard this, or used diva cups? If this month isn't my lucky month.. i'd kind of like to stack the deck in my favor for a girl :D

On a different note, I also read something about Mucinex while ttc.. its supposed to increase your cervical mucus? just heard of that one today.

thanks for all your help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->