Insurance crap, and dilemma for next appt. Advice?

MichCuc

Reaction score
I have a high deductible insurance plan. So, for things other than the routine checkups, I pay out of pocket, which goes towards the deductible, but we're no where even close to reaching it.

So first dilemma is the first trimester screening. I really want to have this done, we want this information. I have a low risk (age, and no prior pregnancies with issues, and no family with issues), but having the information is important to us. All the facility can tell me is that it'll be close to $2000 and that there is a negotiated rate through insurance, so we'll pay less than that, but the insurance company wouldn't tell me what the rate was. The guy was nice but basically said it was a guarded secret. Whatever.

I'm guessing the rate we'll get will be closer to $1000, but that's still not great.

I hate insurance. :growlmad:

What would you do? Anyone been in a similar situation?

I would do the test even at $2000...

We're lucky here, every women gets one, it's free and routine.

I would do the test even at $2000...

We're lucky here, every women gets one, it's free and routine.

Thanks! I'm leaning towards doing it. Its booked for next friday... I just wish it weren't so damn expensive! Stupid insurance. We used to have great insurance, but now I'm at home with our daughter and hubby is self employed. So, insurance is crap. :wacko:

Sorry to hear that hun! But the peace of mind will be worth it!

I totally feel you. Our insurance just changed to a high deductible plan, and it blows.

Even with pretty good coverage with my son, we still had a co-pay of about $500 for the early screening. This time we are anticipating something much higher, obviously, with the new plan. Thankfully my mom is a sonographer, so she is going to do the NT scan under the table for me at 12 weeks. If she sees something concerning, we'll then request the screening (which they'll do 12-14 weeks).

I think the biggest thing to consider is what you would do with the information. Should you receive bad news that something is wrong would you terminate? If you absolutely would not and you are low-risk, I'd skip it. Termination isn't the only reason to have the information, of course, but it might be a way to help decide.

I wouldn't skip the 20 week anatomy scan, though, which may or may not be covered.

We skipped it with DD, and the OB was very upfront with us about it and asked if knowing would change anything for us (like termination). It wouldn't have, so we opted out of the early tests. We're low risk anyway with no family history that we know of as well.

I think our new insurance pays for the NT scan, but we may opt out of it again.

Good luck with your decision!

It's totally up to you, but I agree with the other ladies. My doctor told me the same as the pp, and we dwouldnt have so didn't go for it. We did however go to a private company for about $50 because I felt I was missing out on seeing baby. We went at 14 weeks and they were able to tell us the gender which was awesome!

Thanks everyone! Def something to think about!!

I am having it done because of age. I am 36 and DH is 38 so we have some risk. We would never terminate, but knowing our odds is important to me. I don't do surprises well. My current plan is to get our odds of a trisomy baby, compare to our 20 week scan and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->