Insurance that covers fertility treatments?

Kat541

New Mom 9/5/12
Reaction score
What brands of insurance cover infertility treatments? Or is it by state only? I live in Oregon, and it's not required to be covered. I'm thinking it could be cheaper to pay insurance than out-of-pocket.

Hey I live in Oregon also, we are not covered and everything is out of pocket for us. From what the financial person at the place I go to said very little insurances cover infertility. I think thats very unfortunate and well honestly... it sucks!! I know that 7 or so states do require infertility coverage but I would have to look up which ones they are.

Just thought I would say hi since we are kind of in the same area.

Hello from new Jersey!! both my insurance and DW's insurance does not cover a dime...how ever i found it interesting that a couple we know is currently doing IUI's their insurance covers part...funny thing is what they have left to pay out of pocket is only 200 less than what we are paying with no insurance. so i assume even if insurance does cover it odds are it wont be much they are willing to put out

Good luck!

I live in Texas and my insurance covers unlimited # of IUI's but this is what I still had to pay after insurance for my 1st round of IUI

FS visits (includes u/s) $30 each x 2 (FS charges $250 per visist if no ins not including u/s)
Clomid $4
Ovidrel & Progesterone $72.46 (Ins did cover a portion of the meds)
IUI & Wash $150
Also had a $89.00 charge from the FS which I'm not sure what it was for but will ask on my next visit as it was not on the "plan" I was given by the FS

IUI #1 Total $375.46 with insurance
I know that the FS i go to it cost over $1000.00 if you dont have insurance for each IUI

However for IVF it covers up to a max of $2000.00 but we didnt go much into detail as we are working on IUI's for now.

Hope this helps

I have HealthPartners insurance and I live in Minnesota.

Diagnostic treatments are free of charge (and/or subject at least to count towards the deductible), everything else is absolutely not covered.

I have Aetna and everything is covered (less co-pays, etc). They even cover up to 3 IVF's in a lifetime.

I pay for Cobra insurance through a previous employer's group plan - which is $500 per month. Not sure how much it would cost as an individual without a group plan.

Since I have started TTC in January 2011, I have had $9,750 in doctors visits and procedures and $9,000 in medications. Of that, I paid $615 out of pocket in co-pays. This includes lots of FS visits, 3 IUI's, and 2 procedures to check the tubes and uterus for blockage or fibroids.

Good luck!!

Hello from new Jersey!! both my insurance and DW's insurance does not cover a dime...how ever i found it interesting that a couple we know is currently doing IUI's their insurance covers part...funny thing is what they have left to pay out of pocket is only 200 less than what we are paying with no insurance. so i assume even if insurance does cover it odds are it wont be much they are willing to put out

Good luck!

Mrs. Rod

I'm from New Jersey too (Bergen County), and I know our state has some kind of infertility coverage mandate in place. I was surprised to hear you don't have coverage. I have Horizon BCBS and I am full covered, all procedures, IUI's, IVF's, medications, etc. I thought everyone in NJ had coverage. :(

Wishing you the best in creating your family!!!

Good luck!

Mrs. Rod

I'm from New Jersey too (Bergen County), and I know our state has some kind of infertility coverage mandate in place. I was surprised to hear you don't have coverage. I have Horizon BCBS and I am full covered, all procedures, IUI's, IVF's, medications, etc. I thought everyone in NJ had coverage. :(

Thats what i thought too but when we went to the RE they told us otherwise :growlmad: im not even sure how to look into it, but i do know that my insuance in fine print at the bottom say they will not cover anything to do with fertility....and the friends who have insurance are only paying 200 less then us a month its crazy....well it is what it is and im willing to do whatever and spend whatever it takes to get my baby

Good luck!

Mrs. Rod

Thats what i thought too but when we went to the RE they told us otherwise :growlmad: im not even sure how to look into it, but i do know that my insuance in fine print at the bottom say they will not cover anything to do with fertility....and the friends who have insurance are only paying 200 less then us a month its crazy....well it is what it is and im willing to do whatever and spend whatever it takes to get my baby

in adddition i just did a quick google search...now i know why...i am part of a company whose main office is in cali and my insurance comes from my union in PA! ugh that blows right? and DW's insurance comes out of MA i mean it sucks it really does but my RE gave me a flat rate per month so no suprises

im a little bummed because i got for my baseline monday so my 1st iui wont be long after im sure i just pray that it takes within 3 tries or else im not sure i can afford it without taking a break

Hey I am in NC and it has very limited coverage- meds and test only. I had to pay the retrieval and transfer fee all out of pocket. I paid a total of $1600 for about $7000 worth of meds because I have a $3000 deductible. I think it depends on what state you are in; if its mandated that there has to be coverage then the insurance plans there will cover it. If not, it will be limited coverage. You can find a list of states online. We did end up paying private insurance for DH though because his work insurance would not cover anything related to his infertility and it ended up saving us a couple thousand dollars :)

Good luck!

Mrs. Rod

in adddition i just did a quick google search...now i know why...i am part of a company whose main office is in cali and my insurance comes from my union in PA! ugh that blows right? and DW's insurance comes out of MA i mean it sucks it really does but my RE gave me a flat rate per month so no suprises

im a little bummed because i got for my baseline monday so my 1st iui wont be long after im sure i just pray that it takes within 3 tries or else im not sure i can afford it without taking a break

Hi everyone - I am sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with coverage...

Here is what I know from a paper I wrote on assisted reproduction - There are currently fourteen states which DO have some mandated converage, however there are a couple ways you can still get the short end of the stick. First like you said above, if your company's main office is located in another state and another being if they have some sort of religious affilation which does not promote AR. (I'm sure there are other reasons they come up with too)

That being said, my state is great. In Illinois it is required they cover infertility at the same level as any other medical issue. This includes 4 ivf cycles and if one of those reults in a live birth then it will cover two additional cycles (great coverage isn't it?). First they would like you to try less invasive means (IUI, meds) - unless you have a diagnosis which means these would be fruitless - like premature ovarian failure.

The downside is they do not cover any sort of embryo storage, but will cover FET - weird, right?

Oh, and there is a congresswoman (sorry, can't remember her name) trying to make mandatory coverage a national law - but she is getting a surprisingly little backing because this is such a silent epidemic. (I have no one to speak about this in my life except you all on bump)

I feel fortunate to live here right now, and glad I don't work at a Catholic hopsital anymore (many of our good nurses left to find coverage!!).

Good luck to everyone - I hope the info helps.

:dust:

Interesting (and disappointing) to read how little coverage infertility treatments get. I was very fortunate that my old insurance covered fertility treatments up to $10k plus an additional $10k for meds. I moved from meds/IUIs to IVF pretty quickly so I didn't waste my $20k. Luckily our IVF worked the first time as I just about used up the maximum and wouldn't have had anything left for a second.

I am now wanting to try for baby #2 soon and the insurance company has stopped providing any fertility benefits (not that I had much left). We have 4 blasts waiting for us but I don't know how we are going to afford an FET. I don't really want to take out a loan or max out my credit cards. Seems crazy that this isn't covered!

Interesting (and disappointing) to read how little coverage infertility treatments get. I was very fortunate that my old insurance covered fertility treatments up to $10k plus an additional $10k for meds. I moved from meds/IUIs to IVF pretty quickly so I didn't waste my $20k. Luckily our IVF worked the first time as I just about used up the maximum and wouldn't have had anything left for a second.

I am now wanting to try for baby #2 soon and the insurance company has stopped providing any fertility benefits (not that I had much left). We have 4 blasts waiting for us but I don't know how we are going to afford an FET. I don't really want to take out a loan or max out my credit cards. Seems crazy that this isn't covered!

Wow, that stinks you don't have coverage any longer. I guess on a brighter side you have FE's, so you don't have to pay for retrieval too!

Good luck!

Oddly enough, I have Military coverage (DH is Retired/100% Disabled), and they cover all Interfility testing, scans, meds, follow up, and of course the delivery. The only thing that would be out of pocket would be IUI's, IVF and ICSI. DH and I have had 3 kiddos in 4 years, so we haven't had to use any of their coverage for it yet, but I keep checking our policy info.

Have you asked to make sure they won't pay for bloodwork, scans or drugs? My IS pays for drugs and scans up to the point of anything 'artificial' done. It's not great and the drugs we have to pay for up front and then they reimburse 75% but it's alot better than nothing. I would check and see if they will pay for any testing just to make sure. Goodluck!

I have BlueCross of MN and it covers up to 5,000 of treatment and up to 5,000 of meds at 80% after my $500 deductible. The testing and stuff I believe comes out of my regular medical and there isn't a max on that one.

Any Infertility clinics provide fixed price packages for IUI+Clomid in NJ/NY ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->