Interested in anyone's experiences of EPAU in UK

bubbles82

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm 5+4 today, I've had an early loss previously at 4+6 before I had my daughter who's nearly 2. So I've been so nervous and worried since I got my BFP this time round before 4 weeks. I'd finally managed to feel a bit more confident and step away from the tests and the temping, but then yesterday evening I noticed a small bright red blood clot in with the usual mucus when I wiped (sorry if TMI), and then a few hours later I had a brown tinged discharge when I wiped, then it all stopped. It has got me so worried now, and I'm still weeks away from any midwife contact or scans.
It's nothing like my previous loss which came on very quickly with bad pains and was expected due to tests getting lighter and a sudden temp drop. I've checked my temp again this morning which is still high above the cover line, and I'm not having any bad pains or anything, I just don't know what to think now or what to do.
I just wondered if anyone in a similar situation had been to the EPAU at all and managed to get any help? I'm unsure if my situation is something they could help with and I don't want to waste anyone's time, just not sure what they could or would do if anything.

Hi hun, i'm sorry you're so anxious but it's completely to get expected.
I had a loss in June before this pregnancy.
This time around I had some pink discharge. I freaked out and phoned my GP surgery (wasn't sure who to ring). They had a GP phone me back, I told her the problem (previous mc, worried about spotting) and she phoned the EPAU and booked me in for a scan two days later (earliest they could fit me in).
If I was you i'd phone someone and express your concerns. My midwife said they like to send people for reassurance scans because it takes some of the stress out which at the end of the day is best for mum and baby.

Thanks for your reply. I've tried to call my local EPAU this morning as the website says it's open 8.30-2.30, but there's a recorded message saying it's only open 9-2, so I'm guessing it's highly unlikely they'll be able to see me today and won't be open again until next week. Might try ringing my GP but they're not usually very helpful with things!

Managed to speak to someone in EPAU, had a pretty blunt woman on the phone to begin with who told me 'what's gonna happen is gonna happen anyway', obviously I know that but the problem is I'm stuck in stressful limbo not knowing what's happening. Then I spoke to a nurse who has booked me in for the next available scan which is Sunday morning.
Going to be a long wait until then and I'm meant to be at work Friday and Saturday night.

How rude of that first woman. Honestly! I'm glad to hear you've been booked in though. Fingers crossed all is ok x

Hi,
Sorry for your previous loss and I understand that you must be worried.

As for your local EPU - it depends if you can self-refer or not. We can't at my local one. I had some brown spotting when pregnant with my daughter so I went to my GP and he referred me for a scan at EPU. I hope you manage to get an early scan and you are reassured.

This time round I have looked into private scans and have found somewhere local that costs £50, so if you don't have any luck with your EPU/GP, that might be an option.

Fingers crossed x

Just seen your most recent reply. Sorry to hear you had such a rude person on the phone at first. I would seriously consider making a complaint as that was unacceptable! But glad you had got a scan booked in. I hope the next couple of days go quick for you x

I'm in the UK too and had bleeding At 5-7 weeks

To be honest my dr said there's no point going to be scanned as if it's the worst there's nothing they can do anyway

But that doesn't help when your feeling stressed

I also had a private scan at 7+4 which didn't show too much other than the heart beating .

When I had bright red bleeding at 9+4 I was referred to EPAU and they scanned me and said the blood wasn't from anywhere near baby. Likely to be hormonal

I'm now 15 weeks and baby is fine

Fingers crossed for you try and stay calm unless you start properly bleeding like a period x

Thanks, it's good to hear some stories that turn out well.
I've always been of the opinion it's probably pointless going for a scan in this situation, but with my last loss it was so obvious that's what was happening, now I've had 24 hours of not really knowing what's happening and just felt the need to do something. I didn't ask for a scan, they just booked me in for one and I thought it might at least rule out an ectopic or give an idea where the bleeding is coming from if things are still ok, or even confirm that things are not going well so I know to expect the worst.

I know what you mean, I feared the worst too as I had a previous loss at just under 6 weeks. It turned from spotting to bright red full within 24 hours
I was really scared this time as I got period cramps at the same time

It leads me to think it was just my hormones not suppressing a period properly

Good luck Hun hope all goes well x

I too rang the epi with my last loss and too got a very blunt lady ;( she told me nothing can do and put the fone down
I was in tears :((

I know what you mean, I feared the worst too as I had a previous loss at just under 6 weeks. It turned from spotting to bright red full within 24 hours
I was really scared this time as I got period cramps at the same time

It leads me to think it was just my hormones not suppressing a period properly

Good luck Hun hope all goes well x

Thank you, I'm still so nervous as I've got period cramps too but they're not particularly painful, nowhere near as painful as my previous loss and still no full on bleeding yet, but still seeing red or brown when I wipe. Can't help but think the worst but really trying to stay positive and hope things turn out ok still while there are no other signs to suggest otherwise.
I've just found out one of my best friends is a couple of weeks behind me, so would be extra tough this time to have another loss and know we should've been having our babies at the same time.

I too rang the epi with my last loss and too got a very blunt lady ;( she told me nothing can do and put the fone down
I was in tears :((

I can't believe people who work in these jobs can be so thoughtless and rude :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"