Interested in learning about Religion, esp. Catholocism

Parker_Podge

Reaction score
I have been wondering about religion lately & I do believe that I am a Christian, but not sure what 'type' my beliefs fall into.

I believe:
There is only one God
Jesus died for us
God will judge each of us and our hearts (meaning not only one religion will go to Heaven)
Gays will not go to Hell because of their sexual partner preference

I hope this helps those reading to kind of share their thoughts & beliefs!

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the Catholic religion?? I am very interested in the idea of the Pope. I went to Italy in 2006, i believe, right after the Pope had died and was able to go and see the casket so to speak, but did not do so because of time.

Hi, im not catholic but a Jehovahs Witness. Thought id point out some beliefs of mine.

Firstly, The bible states that "the dead are concious of nothing at all" Ecclesiasties 9:5, 10. That the wages sin pays is death (Romans 6:23). The bible doesnt teach that the good go to heaven and the bad go to hell.

Let me elaborate.

The Greek word for hell is hades or sheol. The translation for this is 'common grave' Fire is used as a symbol for eternal destruction for those for are not worthy of a resurrection to paradise earth (Gods original purpose)

Note that Revelation 20:13,14 states that death and hell themselves (grave of mankind) are cast into the lake of fire. Death and hell cant have a conscious torment can they? Its symbolic for everlasting destruction or cutting off. In paradise God will remove death.

Does is seem reasonable that a loving God would torture people for all eternity?

It doesnt say that the all the good go to heaven either. It speaks of Gods kingdom (Government) ruling the earth after armageddon, in which there would have to be ones to rule over, Revelation speaks of only 144,000 'co rulers with christ forming part of this government. Jesus would begin his rule as king during the last days ' signs of the end' recorded at Matthew 24. The bible explains in detail the world events, attitudes of society in general and the moral breakdown that would occur in the last days of this system. Matthew 24:6-14, 2 Timothy 3:1 - 5..... At this time, the beginning of the last days, satan was hurled down to the earth hence all the problems we see....Armageddon would follow.

The earth was meant for us, created perfectly for us to live on forever. Read Psalms 379-11, and 37:29 - " The righteous themselves will possess the earth and reside forever upon it" Armageddon is the removal of the wicked.

As far as gays go, God hates what they do, not hates them. The bible specifically mentions that God detests homosexuality as its immoral. At the end of the day tho God judges. John 5:28,29 said there would be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous , so God will resurrect those who have not had the chance to learn the truth about God and his purpose so will be given the chance after armageddon in paradise and ur right he will judge peoples heart condition

:hi: Helloooo :hi:

I was baptised Church of England, but currently go to a Catholic Church most weeks. I'm getting married on Saturday, and my OH was brought up Catholic. He goes to church, but doesn't do confession etc.

I'm going to conversion classes once the wedding is over because I'd like to become a practicing member of their church. In these classes i'll be preparing for Eucharist - I.e. the first time I take the bread and wine, Reconciliation - i.e. confession, and Confirmation. At the moment I just get blessed when I go up for bread and wine, because I have never confessed and so am living in sin.

I'm still learning about Catholicism, but i'd be more than happy to share with you what I know. In response to your OP, I believe that there is one Lord God, and his son, Jesus, whom he sacrificed for us. Jesus was God in a human form, and therefore suffered for our sins.

As for homosexuality, God doesn't hate people because they are gay. But, the act of homosexuality goes against the fact that God gives life through sexual intercourse. You can be gay and not a sinner, if you don't perform homosexual acts. If you do, you have to confess, be sorry, and be forgiven for them by God. So I guess it an be seen as a weakness to sin, rather than a completely unforgivable act.

This is in the same argument by Catholics that abortion and contraception are also sins. Catholics believe that only God can give life and take it away, and that intercourse is for making babies. So, to practice gay intercourse is a sin.

It's just up to you if you believe that or not :)

Hope that helps - I may be wrong as i'm still learning, but that's what i've got from my study so far :)

I'm catholic and I believe there is one God, maker of Heaven and Earth.
Jesus died for us, so our sins would be forgiven and for us to have eternal live in Heaven.

I believe that when we die we will either go to:
Heaven
Those who die in God's grace and friendship and are perfectly purified live for ever with Christ.
Purgatory (place for purification before Heaven)
All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.
Or Hell.
We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves. To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God's merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called "hell."

I don't think you need to have a religion to love God, mainly just by acknowledging him and having some belief - God loves and forgives everyone.

Gay people will not go to hell because of there sexual preference. However it is going against nature.
The marriage of homosexuals in the church isn't allowed, as the sort of 'seal' of a marriage is through intercourse, which obviously same sex couple can't do.

The quotes are from the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Hoped to have helped. xx

I am Catholic :) Here is the Apostles Creed, which summarizes some of our beliefs.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of Heaven and Earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, his only son, our Lord, who was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. On the third day he rose again; he ascended into heaven, he is seated at the right hand of the Father, and he will come again to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

We don't believe that God hates anyone, because we are all God's children. Not gays, atheists, Muslims, Jews, etc. And we believe that there are other possible routes of salvation; Baptism and following the rules isn't the ONLY way, we believe in God's grace as well. To be honest, it's our belief that we believe in the same one God but have different beliefs about the details. We are all trace our roots to Abraham.

You can ask me anything you have a question about, born & raised Catholic. I've made all of my sacraments except for Holy Matrimony and we go to church regularly. OH was in the Heralds of the Gospel which is an International Association of Pontifical Right. We both went to Catholic schools for 14 years, and part of Catholic school is religion class daily.

I have been wondering about religion lately & I do believe that I am a Christian, but not sure what 'type' my beliefs fall into.

I believe:
There is only one God
Jesus died for us
God will judge each of us and our hearts (meaning not only one religion will go to Heaven)
Gays will not go to Hell because of their sexual partner preference

I hope this helps those reading to kind of share their thoughts & beliefs!

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the Catholic religion?? I am very interested in the idea of the Pope. I went to Italy in 2006, i believe, right after the Pope had died and was able to go and see the casket so to speak, but did not do so because of time.

I have the same beliefs as you. I am thinking of raising my LO catholic but can't quite
get over the gays should be abstinent thing.

I grew up Catholic, now going to an Anglican church, which is very similar. There is some things about the Catholic church that I don't agree with..their stance on birth control and gays for example. That is not the reason why I go to Anglican....I can't go to the Catholic one right now because the times don't fit with my schedule right now. I am hoping in the next year or two...we will go to that one, but for now we are going to the Anglican. I think the Apostles Creed mentioned before is the best way to describe the Catholic (and we say it in the Anglican) faith, except there is a whole lot more. One thing I absolutely LOVE about the Catholic services (and the Anglican one I go to) it the way it is so classic...the smell of the incense...Catholics know what I mean. I find the mass very interactive...standing up, sitting down, saying prayers, singing...you don't just sit there like a blob.

Update - Ended up getting my daughter baptized, and I will be confirmed next week. Took a lot of time, thought, and prayer to come to this decision.

im a born and raised catholic from italy.

religion is very geografical, what i believe is right another person may disagree, even priests or pope themselves.
it all depends where u r born and what u r raised into.

catholics believe babies need to be baptised in order to wash away the original sin.
most people baptise them because it is a welcome cerimony. i do that to share my culture with my baby and that starts by initiating him with this. my priest doesnt care what religion the parents are (my husband doesnt have one) as long as he is grown following the catholic rules.

catholics believe one should confess their sin to the priest. christians dont do that.
this normally happens in a confessional boot. however, some priests come to ur house and while chatting with u they count it into it. u need to repent and show ur sorry with ur actions (pope said so recently too! he is all about actions and little about rules) and by saying some prayers. i was taught that prayers r nice but what really counts is how u act. christians believe one seeks forgiveness directly with god and doesnt need the help of the priest.
this is true, but sometimes u need to talk to someone and knowning a priest is there for u can be really nice.

catholics believe in the communion of the bread. thats when u r active in church and go receive the bread kinda like thing the priest hands out.
no idea what christians do and i think this is barely cerimonial. u show u r active in church.

then we have confirmation. at age 16 normally one is considered adult and can choose if one wants to be part of the catholic community or not. this is what christians call baptism! once ur confirmed, u r active adult in church. in german countries this make u obligated to pay church fees.

catholics dont believe in pre marriage sex. however, most do. in my community they used to say that that was forgivable as long as the people involved could accept the concequences (babies) and marry afterwards.
abortion of course is a no no. however, they seem to be more open about it (they still dont agree with it but they wont crucify u for that). however, if ur grow up catholic u will not have the heart to do it because u know in u it is wrong but that just how they will bring u up to, life before everything. but no judging from my side!

catholics have 10 comandments (u can look up online) which r basic guidlines.

they celebrate the birth of jesus and the resurrection of jesus and many other things.

it is hard to describe it in a nutshell because it is not just rules and events. it is a lifestyle, a culture, a way of thinking.

i personally love the pope, he is so down to earth and i just want to hug him!
he is open to gay people and i am sure he will allow priests to get married as he himself was in love before becoming a priest.
he is a man of actions and not words.

my suggestion for u would be to try to hang out in church for a while but real catholics r to be found where they r needed, not on a bench with the bible open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"