Interesting article on the pill.

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by Beltane, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Beltane

Beltane Mother of 3 Boys!

We can now blame it on the pill

TO millions of women, it has been the great liberator over the past four decades, allowing them the freedom to control their fertility and their relationships. But the contraceptive Pill could also be responsible for skewing their hormones and attracting them to the "wrong" partner.

A study by British scientists suggests that taking the Pill can change a woman's taste in men - to those who are genetically less compatible.

The research found that the Pill can alter the type of male scent that women find most attractive, which may in turn affect the kind of men they choose as partners. It suggests that the popular form of contraception could have implications for fertility and relationship breakdowns.

The findings, from a team at the University of Liverpool in Britain, add to growing evidence that the hormones in the Pill influence the way that women assess male sexual attractiveness.

The Pill is thought to disrupt an instinctive mechanism that brings together people with complementary genes and immune systems.

Such a couple, by passing on a wide-ranging set of immune system genes, increase their chances of having a healthy child that is not vulnerable to infection.

Couples with different genes are also less likely to experience fertility problems or miscarriages. Experts believe that women are naturally attracted to men with immune system genes different to their own because of their smell.

Commenting on the latest study, the researchers said it could indicate that the Pill disrupts women's ability to judge the genetic compatibility of men by means of their smell.

They said this might not only affect fertility and miscarriage risk, but could also contribute to the end of relationships as women who stop or start taking the Pill no longer find boyfriends or husbands so attractive.

Several previous studies have suggested women tend to prefer the smell of men who are different from them in a cluster of genes called the major histocompatibility complex (MHC), which governs the immune system.

Some studies have also found that this effect is not seen among Pill users. The latest study, published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society, has now assessed the impact of Pill use in the same women, both before and after they began using oral contraception. The research also found differences between women in relationships, who tended to prefer odours of men with different MHC genes, and single women, who tended to prefer the smell of MHC-similar men.

The Times
    http://www. theaustralian. news. com. au/story/0,25197,24177890-5013404,00. html..

2. Suzanne

Suzanne One of each flavour

OMG that would explain why EVERY relationship ive had I end up walking out on, I always end up totally unattracted to the men ive been with! Ive had 4 serious relationships in my lifetime, the first guy I was with EVERY woman I know wanted a piece of him, he was gorgeous BUT once I was with him I ended up finding him so unattractive! And thinking about it everytime ive always ended up starting on the pill AFTER ive settled down with these guys (used condoms in thefirst instance just so you all know :rofl: lol) and not long after didnt find them attractive!!! :shock: im shocked lol

Thanks for posting this hun! :hugs:

3. wishes

wishes Mummy of two :)

thats sooo interesting, and does completely make sense. hmmmm, thats got the brain ticking....
    :muaha:

4. ZoeBunny

ZoeBunny Blessed Mummy of 2!

I read this article too in the Times. Poor DH said that when he read it he got a bit worried that I might go off him now I'm off BCP and TTC!

I had to reassure him that I wasn't on the pill when I met him (only started after) and so that must mean I love him for the right reasons... bless him! x

5. Dee_H

Dee_H Mama to Rian + Bump

Interesting article..this would explain why I dated such losers in the past before I met DH. After my last failed relationship I went off the pill....then met DH.. and he is perfect..lol

6. Chris77

Chris77 Mommy to PJ and Gavin

Wow, that was really interesting! Thanks for sharing.

7. Sinead

Sinead Well-Known Member

Awwwww I was on the pill when I met dh and I still love him now!!!!!!

8. Beltane

Beltane Mother of 3 Boys!

Yes- My DH said the same thing because we met when I was on the pill. He got mad at me- lol

9. brewanneanan

haha i met my OH when i wasn't on the pill, i was infact still a virgin haha =]

10. CHILLbilly

CHILLbilly Well-Known Member

ya me to.......

haha not
    on pill when I met my X
    went off the pill, broke up and moved out on the X of 5 yrs, then hooked up with my love. ( Met him when I was on pill but just as friends)
    Been almost 4 yrs together and pill free.

Hmmmmmmmm might be something to this article.

11. Farie

Farie Well-Known Member

That's really interesting, I met my ex when on the pill, came off it after 5 years (cos it was messing with my body) and realised I didn't like him (although there is quite a long story there) and fell for DF ... while still off the pill. Have loved him since day 1 and do so more each day ...