internal exam??

You likely won't get an internal, but you will likely get your group b swab done. They use a large cotton swap and swish around just inside your vagina and in your rectum.

group b??? what is that? why would they have to swab your rectum?

You likely won't get an internal, but you will likely get your group b swab done. They use a large cotton swap and swish around just inside your vagina and in your rectum.

group b??? what is that? why would they have to swab your rectum?

I think its standard procedure in the US? Its to prevent the virus being given to the baby. Group B strepolococus (thats not spelt right!) in adults its a throat infection but some women carry it in their genitals and it could be harmful for bubs.

ah ok, think it is called Strep B over here, didnt think they swabbed for it... can any uk ladies help on this one??

We don't swab for group B strep routinely in the UK. I am a new budding expert on GBS since having a swab stolen without my consent that came up positive. Some brief stats: a third of the population carries GBS in their guts as part of their natural flora. A quarter of women carry it in their genitals (so naturally nearly all women end up with some gut flora in their vagina). It is the most common cause of infant infection taking over from E.coli quite recently. The US has a much higher rate of infection than we do, most likely attributable to the amount of internal examinations that are routinely given during pregnancy as this pushes the bacteria up and can then lead to uterine infection/infection of the baby. So no internals is a GOOD thing!

SimplyRhi's posts are excellent. I am declining any internals during labour. They were horrifically painful for me last time, totally unnecessary and also contraindicated because my waters had gone at the start of labour. Knowing you are 'only' 3cm after 24 hours is devastatingly disheartening and one of the reasons why women end up getting more pain relief and ultimately ending up with assisted deliveries.

If you are interested in knowing how dilated you are without internals this link will tell you about the ways of checking: https://sarahvine.wordpress.com/201...-assessing-dilation-without-an-internal-exam/

If you want to know more about GBS and your rights and the guidelines etc check out my support thread over in home and natural birthing: https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/504819-group-b-strep-support-thread.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->