Internal Examinations

mnbvcxz

Reaction score
I am 40 weeks and 4 days overdue. The midwife offered me a sweep 2 days ago, but I couldnt go through with it.

The thought of an internal exmaination terrifies me. i know it sounds pathetic, but the only thing I am scared about when I go into abour is the internal examinations that will be performed. Does anyone know, if I can say no to them or do you have to have them.

Is anyone else in the same boat?

hi hon, ive not met one woman who relishes the thought of internals but unfortunately they are pretty much un avoidable. I usually try and concentrate on my breathing and try and take my thoughts elsewhere, if that makes any sense. I,m not sure what anyone else reckons on here but personally i would doubt very much that you could go through labour without having one done, this is for your babys safety as well as your own. Im sure if you make your feelings clear to the midwives they will do all they can to limit your need for examinations.

I'm probably gonna sound mean now - but unfortunately you've just got to deal with it! The midwives will need to do internals to check how far you're dilated and check the baby is coming out properly. I'm sure you'll have more to think about at the time anyway....

As a side note- have you never had a smear test? If your fear of internals has meant you've avoided them, I'd advise you to get one, they don't hurt and it's really important.

Good luck with your birth x

I felt the way you do at the beginning of my pregnancy and my midwife said you have the right to refuse anything you don't want and to specify you only want minimal pelvic exams.

However........ I went overdue myself, had to be induced and ended up having a forceps delivery. I must have had over 10 different people doing various things with my downstairs and I promise you I DIDN'T CARE!! It's their job, they've seen it all before and you'll be so desperate to get the baby out safely that you honestly won't mind.

People told me this before I went into labour and I didn't believe them, but having been there myself now I know it's true.

Good luck with everything and try not to worry. Oh, another thing you could do is ask for gas & air to help relax you before any internals - my midwife offered it to me (great stuff!)

The midwives will try and keep internals to a minimum - but unless you are lucky enough to get to the hospital and deliver, then you will have to have one at some point in your labour, if not two.

The midwife will be as quick as she possibly can. Having a sweep is maybe a good idea - to show you that there is nothing to be scared of before you are in labour.

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to disagree here :blush: - you absolutely do NOT have to have internals of any kind done if you don't want them.....that includes sweeps. You can refuse any and all procedures if you like.

I personally have no problem with internals or smears and I wouldn't suggest either way what you choose to do as it should be your choice. But you should know that nothing about this whole process is compulsary and it's up to you to weigh up the pros and cons. Nothing can be forced on you, regardless of the way these things seem to be presented in books and by medical practitioners :hugs:

i'm not keen either..
but when it comes to it i'm sure i'll just get on with it! Like people have said, it's their job and i'm sure they've seen about 456789 ladies vagina's throughout their career ;) :rofl:
try to relax during a pelvic exam... this sounds weird, but think of it like sex, if you're tense it will hurt or be uncomfortable. xxx

oh and to add to snoopys comment... you dont have to have a sweep if you don't want one :) x

Just as a footnote, it is perfectly within your rights to refuse a sweep and no one would make you have one, they are totally voluntary. However I would be extremely surprised if you could also refuse all internal examinations throughout labour, as an insurance to guard the hospital I would guess they might make you sign some sort of waiver as Im sure it would be contrary to you and your babies health.

You DO NOT have to have them. However, I think you should.
I had 3 sweeps with DD and she still didn't shift but I'd have had more if it meant she came out before my induction date.

You can refuse any medical procedure you want to, it's your body, eg people refuse blood transfusions for medical reasons.
Whether it's in your (and baby's) best interest to do so is a different matter. Though with internals a good midwife should be able to tell whats going on from other signs.

i have a sweep on wednesday amd my induction on friday, i am dreading it, i have avoided any kind of internal up till now and no-one has wanted to do one so im thinking i have been lucky, i dont really want anyone down there lol but i chose to have a baby so i kind of guess i chose this too, i dont want to be induced but thye have said its for the safety of the baby, im so scared, i have been doing everything to make it happen naturally but its not happening, think im gonna have to just lie back and think of england lol

I agree with Snoopy that you are absolutely within your rights to decline. There is also no reason why you cannot request daily monitoring appointments once you go over 42w (hoping you don't!) to avoid induction if you feel so strongly about it.

However, there may be points during labour (sweep-induced or not) where it might be useful for the medics to get an idea of what's going on by doing some sort of internal and this is where you might have to consider your position and feel comfortable with what's happening. As I understand it, internals and the likes are kept to a minimum so as to minimise infection risk etc but you should make your aversion really clear on your birth plan/discuss it when you arrive at hospital.

Good luck.

I had my first sweep yesterday when i went to the hospital as i hadnt felt baby move all day. Everything was fine but she offered me a sweep so i took it as im desperate to get him out! I was scared and embarassed but the midwife was really nice and made me feel at ease, and it was over really quickly, not as bad as i expected it to be. I'm glad i have that over and done with now and dont have to worry what it will be like when i have another one on tuesday or am in labour. They do it all day long long so they really dont care! Also i figure that a sweep is way better than having to be induced, not go into labour naturally.

I don't like the thought of them either but I just see it as part and parcel of being pregnant. I can't imagine its comfortable but the midwives see foo-foos every single day!

I personally am gonna have a sweep if I'm offered one....anything to help baby come out right now I'll take it!

Correct me if I'm wrong but if things don't get moving naturally and you need to be induced...this would probably mean even more internal examinations and messing about down there. You could however go into labour without any help at all!!

I say face your fears :flower:

In normal circumstances you can refuse any medical procedure but internal examinations are there for a reason and I'd be worried about going through labour without even one so you know how far along you are at least. Also it means the midwifes can tell if there are potential problems that might need swift action.

Also having just given birth following severe pre eclampsia there was alot of examinations and procedures that were done with no consent from either myself or my husband as at the time saving myself and the baby were the priority. I have no problem with that - I'd rather be here with a healthy baby than not because staff waited for me to be able to say yes or no. I don't want to sound scary but situations can happen that you then have no control over and its worth just thinking about how you would feel about that.

Back to internal examinations - once you're in labour you really won't care and the midwife etc is going to see down there anyway as she delivers the baby.

I wanted to completely agree with Snoopy. Your body, your baby, your birth. Here's a great article about the role of internal exams, particularly for first-time Mums:
https://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pushing.asp

Sounds tough but they are essential to safe birth for mum and baby. A sweep on the other hand is never essential. Chat to your midwife, i'm sure she's met other women with similar fears. Nne of us relish internals...

I wanted to completely agree with Snoopy. Your body, your baby, your birth. Here's a great article about the role of internal exams, particularly for first-time Mums:
https://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pushing.asp

Thats a really good article! Everyone needs to read it, I feel so much better about the birth now!

You can refuse any medical procedure you want to, it's your body, eg people refuse blood transfusions for medical reasons.
Whether it's in your (and baby's) best interest to do so is a different matter. Though with internals a good midwife should be able to tell whats going on from other signs.

Only in second stage will a 'good' midwife be able to tell if a women is fully dilated and therefore a examination is not needed....If the OP is lucky enough to get to hospital at this stage then good on her but a vaginal examination determines the different stages of labour especially latent and 1st stage. In this country progress is determined by cervical dilation which is assessed every four hours in labour (6 hours for inductions)...if you are unfortunate to have a prolonged labour/ induction then you can imagine how many examinations you will need:wacko:

However like others have said, if you don’t want them then its your choice but it will be something you should really discuss with your midwife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->