Irish name pronunciation :)

I really like Naoise for a girl but Oh not keen as can be Unisex. I think it sounds quite feminine. What do you think?

I know a wee girl who has that name so I think of it as a girly name, it's lovely!

I really like Naoise for a girl but Oh not keen as can be Unisex. I think it sounds quite feminine. What do you think?

It's a guys name in Irish mythology, that's why it's seen as unisex. I'm not sure what the rates would be for male/female usage now..I know one girl Naoise and that's it!

Yes sorry, forgot Odhrán! Lovely name. Should really edit that first post ha. Lovely name. Boys names are not as common as girls names- there are a few 'core' Irish boys names like Séan, Dónal etc- very popular, and then ones that have only become popular in the last few years- like Odhrán- but are very old- and then random translations from English that are very rare, like Proinsias- Prun-chee-us, which is Francis. Girls Irish names tend to be more widespread, I know an awful lot more girls with Irish names than boys. I love Meadbh as well but OH isn't keen (we won't be TTC for a good while but still have provisional lists ha) and it's my cousin's name. But I don't know any Sadbh's and OH likes that one :) I want at least one of my children to have an Irish name. I love the way Irish names have spread to other countries, even though the original spellings cause confusion! It's great :)

Sadbh is a lovely name Mushroom, I don't know anyone with it. We picked Odhrán as we couldn't think of a boy's name that wasn't too common or on the other hand, too unusual, plus we're Irish (well, Northern Irish technically!). Thanks for your post, I'll probably keep coming back to it for ideas.

Great thread!
My DD is called Cliona, I found Cliodhna on a website and loved it but thought it would be too difficult for her to spell and sounded too much like Cleaner lol! So we anglisised (sp!) it to Cliona (like Fiona)
I love the name but it's amazing how many people get her name muddled (no, she is not called Chloe lol!)

I love that name, don't know anyone called it though, except for a Colína which is slightly different. Came across the boy's name Ruadhán today on an election poster (roo-awn), LOVE that one. Going to edit the OP ha.

Great thread!!

I called my 2 boys Shay and Conor, I am Irish and know quite a few Shay's and I think Conor is still a widely used Irish name.

The names I have picked this time round are Saoirse and Oisin.

My sons name is Rían. It means "little king" in Irish. :thumbup:

Love love love the name Odhrán, that was on our list. If we had have had a girl she would have been Sadhbh or Naoise.

Great thread :thumbup:
I put up some of the pronunciations on the other thread for Irish names a while ago after i seen a lot of people thinking Finn and Fionn were pronunced the same :nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->