Irrational fear of choking? Finger food issues.

kissikiss

<3 Mom to Elijah <3
Reaction score
Hi all :flower:

As title says really. My son is now 16 months old, and has always loved food. When he was about 10 months old, he had a piece of a baby biscuit (I was starting him with finger foods) and he got a piece stuck in the back of his mouth/throat. He was ok but it gave me horrible anxiety about food and choking - and I don't want him to pick up on this.

Problem is he doesn't really know that when he has a mouthful he shouldn't shove even more food into his mouth. I know he has to learn to eat in order to be able to do it properly, but I probably tend to mash things up too much and give him minimal finger foods he can choke on. I gave him half a banana last night after supper and I was so nervous, my husband tells me to calm down but I get so scared :(

2 questions really:

1. Am I alone with anxiety regarding this? I have no other 'worries' that I can think of, and just wonder if this one incident with the baby biscuit traumatised me...

and

2. Will he get better regarding knowing he has food in his mouth and should wait before putting more in as long as I keep giving him finger foods? Or instead of giving him half a banana (whole) should I give him a bite sized piece and wait for him to finish until I give him the next piece until he learns to eat slowly and chew properly?

I should say that most of his teeth are through and I feel as though he is physically able to chew but he doesn't know that he needs to have a medium size bite of food in his mouth to be able to do it effectively.

Thank you very much xx

i'm sorry i can't help you but just to say you are not on you're own. i was the same with my girls. i think i was still pureeing food at 8 months with my first lol. now i have come to the stage were i should be introducing finger foods to my lo i feel the same anxiety. i have told my oh that he can start him with this as i don't want to stress my lo keep pulling food out his mouth :(

the only thing i can suggest is try stay calm and not show your anxiety to your lo. my younger sister had a very bad incident of choking when she was little and this made my mum very paranoid from then on. i totally believe thats what rubbed off on me. i even have anxietys of choking myself when i'm eating certain things.

if it's realy effecting you maybe you could look into a first aid course to help give you abit more confidence that you'd know what to do in the unlikely event that something was to happen iykwim x

Ah yes I pull food out of his mouth too!! If he has what I think is too much, then I'm in there pulling stuff out and I know this could affect his confidence with eating, and I know it's wrong.

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone but I'm sorry you feel the same as it's awful, eating is a natural thing and babies often gag which looks like choking. It's still scary though.

You are right, I should look at doing a course; I did one ages ago and don't know if the techniques are the same. Thanks for your reply xx

Ah yes I pull food out of his mouth too!! If he has what I think is too much, then I'm in there pulling stuff out and I know this could affect his confidence with eating, and I know it's wrong.

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone but I'm sorry you feel the same as it's awful, eating is a natural thing and babies often gag which looks like choking. It's still scary though.

You are right, I should look at doing a course; I did one ages ago and don't know if the techniques are the same. Thanks for your reply xx

tbh i'm dreading it. i just know i will be pulling things out his mouth. i can be sat in a restaurant and see a little one in a high chair chomping on food and i still get nervous then when they gag. i have an urge to start patting a complete strangers lo on the back lol.

it does get easier when they get a little older though although i often joke with my girls that they will be allowed hard boiled sweets when they are 21. for now they are a no no even at 8 n 10 :) this was the culprit for my lil sisters choking episode.

i might even take my own advise and do a refresher first aid myself. they change the rules all the time. i honestly dont know the up to date procedure for a baby choking. i think you hold them face downwards and pat there back x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->