Is a degree worth it?

Kiki1993

Reaction score
Hi, this question keeps circling in my head, all the jobs I like I am either already qualified for or I will be after my hnd, anyway I have found one degree (just one) that I like the sound of, I can either do it while working part time and pay it myself or do it full time ... my worries are the average job I would get from this degree is what I do now, just a better chance of getting them I guess, the salary about 23 000 a year, so would pay back student loans straight away but I'm worried, by the time I finish my loans will equal 40 000 or more and I just hate that :cry: I didn't even want to take the student loan this year and next but it's the only way we can live :shrug: I'm torn on what to do and really not sure what to do for the best.
What sounds like the best plan?
- go full time and just deal with the student loan debt
- get a full time job after hnd and save to do the degree at night without taking a loan at all.
- just see how i do without the degree in work, if it's fine don't bother, if it isn't then can always go back.

I'm thinking about what's best, I mean the degree isn't mandatory for the jobs I want but I know education is important and because my OH doesn't want to do a degree I think one of us should have one if that makes sense? So our future kids can see it's fine either way but education give more security. I'm trying to think about what will let us have kids sooner too, i'm just a bit confused, student loans terrify my and i feel so bad about taking one this year but if we didn't we couldn't live.
Insight anyone?

Are you in the UK?

Why does the debt scare you so much? That's not to sound flippant but its about the only 'safe' debt. They cant take repayments until you can afford them and they will nit bang your door down for them. They don't affect credit or anything really. My hubby us in his 5th year as a student and i know i owe about £30k but haven't worked in 3 years and even then i have never had a job that paid enough to start repayments.

With whether the degree is worth it really does depend on the job. If you can do it without i would probably do that for a while and then look unto further qualifications once you have experience as life can sometimes take you in different directions. I am a believer in following the truest path to yourself, and while studying is doable with children its harder with them as your priorities change.

Don't let the money for put you off doing something your heart wants. Good luck.

I believe it depends on your field of work. I have grown up being impressed upon that professional work and full qualifications are what you should always aim for, but now I find it is quite overrated. However, I do know in my industry, starting pay as a graduate was higher than those with lower qualifications, and graduates are automatically given more opportunities for leadership.
My question is, is a degree essential for the advancement of your career? Is the career what you are deeply interested in? If both answers are yes, I would say go for it!
But if you are only doing it so you have a qualification to show for, perhaps as an example to your future children like you mentioned, i would probably choose the option that mitigates debt so as to leave other options open to me.
Just my thoughts, good luck, k?

I want to work with people, children mainly care really. I have a hnc in child care and the hnd in social science gives me enough to work with people in community etc. I have been looking online at jobs up now and a lot of them you don't need anything for but a hnc is desireable. The jobs I like are all between 18-23 grand a year and you don't need a degree to do them, the debt scares me so much because I hate owing money, i don't borrow money, from anyone, since i was 16 i never even borrowed from mum, from 13 i always had a paper round or sweety round to make my own money and not borrow extra from mum, my mum had a lot of debt and it was so stressful, i know it's "good debt" but for me any debt is bad, i hate the fact i took the loan this year and taking it next as well. the thought of taking it for 2 more years on top of that terrifies me, i think ide rather personally to do it while working but i know ill have kids as soon as i can when i start working :shrug: feeling rubbish about it all, i like the degree, it sounds interesting but why get it if i dont need it, if i do end up needing it later i can do it while working or even saving and going back?
To be honest if it wasn't "socially normal/expected" to get a degree i wouldn't consider it :nope:

Firstly: student debt isn't like normal debt, it doesn't work against you, you can't default on it, payments are very small. There's a very interesting Martin Lewis article that says we need to stop calling it debt and call it whatever they do in NZ or Aus (can't remember exactly!) it's an investment. I'm talking for the UK obviously.

Secondly: the sentiment "I feel one of us should have a degree" is flawed and is very much reflected by the society of that we live in unfortunately, not everyone should get a degree, not every job needs a degree, universities are businesses and while I said above it isn't like normal debt it's still a lot of money to do something you don't need to do.

Getting a degree because it's more socially accepted is silly (but I understand xx) when I left uni the people who didn't go were earning more than me as they had been working longer! I had to go to uni, I wanted to be a teacher, I didnt go down that route in the end but I still use my history degree and am now doing a masters, not because it looks good but because I have to to get to the next level, lord I wouldn't be doing it and paying for it if it wasn't necessary!!

We need to move away from this belief university is a tick in the box in life, it's not, the truth is degrees are becoming meaningless now because so many people have them and then so many people go into jobs that don't even require them, I have friends who omit them from their cv- imagine that, £20,000 spent and 3 years hard work to wipe it from history?! (I say £20,000 that's because we're on the old scheme, it's obviously more now!)

I totally get why 18 year olds sign up to uni to do a degree despite not knowing what they want to do, it gives you more time, it can be fun, and potentially it can open up job prospects. But it's not really a good reason to go unless you have an occupation in mind, not a chance would I have gone to university if the jobs I was striving for didn't require one. Going from your previous threads you really sound like you're at a cross roads right now, but in all honesty given what you want to do I think you will do better to spend your time and money on getting experience, not a degree.

Hello

as someone who gets the debt part and the education part, here is my advice: think about what you want to do and see if you can do it without a degree. I have a minor in addiction treatment, a bachelor's in psychology, and just finished a master's in health care administration and right now I am a glorified receptionist with almost $70,000 in debt. Like you we had no choice but to take out loans to survive so of that, we probably only really needed 55-65000 in loans. I have done some work in the fields I studied for but the jobs never really worked out for one reason or another and the pay for the jobs I was working were less than what I am making as a receptionist. I would say with this education, if I were to take another job and maybe put the extra income toward starting my own business, then maybe it would be worth something, but right now, I could have easily stopped at a bachelor's degree and not been upset. The thing is that my husband persuaded me to go with the thought process that education never diminishes and eventually the economy will change enough to give newbies a chance, but I would definitely evaluate the types of careers available and maybe get a degree where the starting pay for a job is worth the debt of school. I would also say if you go to school, finish school before having a baby because it already won't be easy. I am happy to help if you have any additional questions.

Don't do a degree just because you feel like you should, especially if you can already achieve the same pay bracket! If you are really interested in the topic and WANT to do the degree, then go for it. If you just feel like it's something you should do but don't overly want to, then don't.
Personally, I would not do the degree, if i could achieve the same amount of pay, in the same field, without it. I am doing a degree at the moment, because it's the only way i can get into the field that i WANT to work in (medicine - SLT), plus it is fully funded (although i'v taken a student loan aswell to afford rent!), as debt was something i too considered.

Dont do or not do, something you will regret. Make the choice that's right for you :)

Thank you all for the replies, it is such a hard one, part of me wants too, no one in my family has ever gotten a degree and i do think education is important but i don't know what is or isn't important to me because it is all clouded by wanting a baby! I'm not thinking oh i want this im thinking "oh if i do this then i get a baby sooner" or "oh if i do this i have more stability for baby" i'm thinking only about the baby i don't even flipping have yet :cry: i'm really hoping i have an epiphany, I have been looking on indeed and s1 jobs and i've seen about 15 jobs i like and have the qualifications or experience for, but theres still a part of me that thinks "you said you wanted a degree, so get one"
If anyone wants to take the wheel of my life and just drive me to a decision feel free. Right now I don't think I'm even capable to make decisions :blush:

I don't believe you need a degree but I think it can help :) only really know if you want to go through it, IMO if you don't 100% want to do it then you heart will not be in it to finish! But that's just me :)

You are from Scotland? Scottish students don't need to pay tuition fees, could you not get and evening / weekend job to pay for you to live? And there are bursarys available too. My brother has gotten a degree without a single bit if debt, he also bought a little flat at the same time as him mortgage turned out to be cheaper than renting . If u are worried about the debt then there are ways round it :)

Thank you all for the replies, it is such a hard one, part of me wants too, no one in my family has ever gotten a degree and i do think education is important but i don't know what is or isn't important to me because it is all clouded by wanting a baby! I'm not thinking oh i want this im thinking "oh if i do this then i get a baby sooner" or "oh if i do this i have more stability for baby" i'm thinking only about the baby i don't even flipping have yet :cry: i'm really hoping i have an epiphany, I have been looking on indeed and s1 jobs and i've seen about 15 jobs i like and have the qualifications or experience for, but theres still a part of me that thinks "you said you wanted a degree, so get one"
If anyone wants to take the wheel of my life and just drive me to a decision feel free. Right now I don't think I'm even capable to make decisions :blush:

From what you say hun I just don't think you're hoping to do a degree for the right reasons, just because no one else in your family has one doesn't mean you should, I think it's far more impressive for someone to carve a career for themselves without a degree tbh! I think you may start to resent it. Why not just go out there and go for one of those jobs you like the look of and see where it takes you? You can always go back to university (yes even after kids!) but you can't take back a qualification or half a qualification that means nothing to you, it'll take years of your young life and money.

From what you say hun I just don't think you're hoping to do a degree for the right reasons, just because no one else in your family has one doesn't mean you should, I think it's far more impressive for someone to carve a career for themselves without a degree tbh! I think you may start to resent it. Why not just go out there and go for one of those jobs you like the look of and see where it takes you? You can always go back to university (yes even after kids!) but you can't take back a qualification or half a qualification that means nothing to you, it'll take years of your young life and money.

This!!

I understand ambition is hard to shake. I went to university with no real idea where i wanted to go...just the loose idea that i wanted to go and that my family wasn't academic and neither of my parents had been but both regretted it.

Like i say, i have never earned over the threshold, have no career to speak if and still 10 years after i graduated i still have no clue lol. My mum is 60 and is currently studying part time for a humanities degree. Its never too late.

Other consideration is that you only get one set of funding. If you do the degree then actually life sends you off in another direction and you need to retrain you would have to work doubly hard. My gut instinct for you is to apply for those jobs and see where it takes you. If you reach an impass that only a degree will solve, that's the time to go for it. As for your future baby, there is no good time to have a child.....never!! Obviously some are better than others but ultimately studying can be done at any stage of life, so go with your gut and you cant go wrong.

I did a degree because it was the quickest way to get into my career and I need it to progress.

I get the debt thing though I HATE owing money and even though it is regulated differently it is still money you have borrowed you have to pay back. I can't wait till mine is gone and my pay is all mine (except the taxman's share!)

I don't think you have enough good reasons to do it. You have said already it won't make a positive financial difference, only a negative one. I don't think your kids would think differently unless you bring them up that way.

I think degrees are so important, but that's just me. If its not something that's important to you, then I don't think you should really stress about it. My OH is very successful and didn't get a degree. She makes more money than I will get with my education degree when I graduate in May. Degrees aren't everything. I'm simply getting mine because I'm passionate about the field I'm studying and it requires a degree. :)

I completely agree with MarineWAG and LoveCakes.

OH and I work on the same field. I'll have degree in couple years, he has not. I might have more job opportunities, definitely more responsibiity, but the salary is almost the same. If I'd know earlier what field to study, I'd probably chose not have a degree yet.

If you aim is to be SAHM however, I think that degree is pointless unless you get a major pay rise and work at least part-time. Your employees will always appreciate your job experience as well, so it's ok to put your effort on "just" getting that experience. :)

I'm glad I got mine even though I'm a stay at home mom. It makes me feel secure if my husband ever did get hurt or something and I had to work instead. And I feel better educated and able to teach my own children now.

As others have said, school debt is the easiest kind of debt you can get into. As in easiest to pay off and most lenient if you aren't making much money yet. Don't worry about that as much!

I would say that it depends on where you are and what the demand for the job you want is in your area. I spent four years getting a degree that I was sure would always be in demand. I now have student loans and have spent the past 5 years unsuccessfully trying to get a job with my degree. Just something to consider. Hope this helps.

Thank you everyone, I'm still not sure, I keep swaying between the two, I have seen a few jobs I like, that degree I like but I want to make money not owe it! I want to be well educated, a good example, not be limited to jobs without a degree .. I say I want to be a SAHM but I also want to be able to give my kid everything they need and a lot of what they want etc, i want family holidays and i have a feeling i will need to work after maternity leave, if i dont need to i definitely wont, i wont go full time unless i need to (unlikely our bills our pretty low usually) so will probably work part time but hopefully OH gets a promotion by this point and I can just focus on our child. Writing this I lean to just working after my hnd but i hate making decisions when I'm not 100% sure. :blush: But either way I will doubt my choice :dohh:

Just to try and get all my thoughts in one place:

Pros to degree: Be well educated, be finished with education (no need to go back), might give a better job opportunity one day, it could mean more money (possible).

Cons to degree: Longer waiting for a baby, aim is to be a SAHM or work part time simply for money not career, would struggle financially for 4 years, student loans would be high, means I could NEVER go back to education (I like the thought of being a nurse/midwife or teacher BUT I don't think I'm strong enough emotionally yet but who knows, maybe I wll harden up with age), i have checked jobs i like and 9/10 don't need a degree and they are all around the same income.

From doing that list I'm pretty sure I will go back to work after HND, a diploma will do me for now, if i ever have an epiphany of what i want to do I can go back. :shrug: Would mean that i finish june 2016, probably get a job by sept, marry hopefully in december, and we are thinking trying in april :flower:

Open university? I'f you want to be a sahm and get a degree? Means you can pay as you go( if u need to pay at all) and then you get the best of both worlds !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->