Is anyone else very confused about what you can eat?

Trixiebell

Reaction score
I will be 8 weeks pregnant tomorrow and for a couple of weeks I had a really bad craving for meat (the sliced chicken and sweet chilli chicken pieces you buy for sandwiches) and now I am worried that I shouldn't have been eating it.
Can I not have meat unless it's freshly cooked and hot?

The guidelines vary by country. Dependent on where you are, there are likely to be official guidelines. In the UK the NHS website is helpful.

Try not to worry (easier said than done I know)

I think you can have cold meats. You just can't heat them up. But I'm not 100% on that.

Thanks ladies. I have my first midwife appointment on Tuesday so this is one of the questions I am going to ask.

I am aware of the foods definitely not to have but I am completely stumped with this one.

I eat anything i fancy within moderation.

Ive ate plenty of those meats before.

Deli meats you should heat up. You can always put them in the fridge for a bit to chill, if you don't like it hot.

With alot of stuff it is avoiding anything that could potentially give you food poisoning. As long as they have been in the fridge and not open for too long they should be fine.. just don't eat them if they have been kept at room temperature for a while. Pre cooked meats are ideal breeding grounds for bacteria and at room temperature it gives them a lovely warm home. Straight out the fridge would be fine. I just tend to steer clear of the italian meats like chorizo and cured meats as they can carry a particular bug that can be nasty but that said these risks are tiny anyway.

I will be 8 weeks pregnant tomorrow and for a couple of weeks I had a really bad craving for meat (the sliced chicken and sweet chilli chicken pieces you buy for sandwiches) and now I am worried that I shouldn't have been eating it.
Can I not have meat unless it's freshly cooked and hot?

In the UK you are fine to eat them, so don't worry :thumbup:

Thank you all for your comments. As it is my first pregnancy I am just so scared doing the wrong thing.

Besides, you never know when listeria will crop up....ice cream, hummus, spinach...(three companies have recalled for listeria in the US recently, 3 deaths so far, so it is definitely a disease to be concerned with), but no cold cuts with issues....

Hi.
I've been told no pate, blue cheese. To be careful with undercooked eggs, rare meat, to limit tuna and liver. I think the reason some meats like that can be dodgy is when they're kept on deli counters. If you've bought it and made sure it's well refrigerated it'll be fine.
Xx

Yeah I avoided at first. But then I heard it was because of listeria risk. I find it very hard to believe that the reputable places I go to are going to carry listeria. So I'm just mindful and even more careful about where I go. I've had a few sandwiches and no listeria for me.

I'm uk, I eat deli meat no problems. Long as it smells good, kept in the fridge etc. If I was getting a subway I'd get them to heat it up.
I avoid pink red meat, excess tuna, pate, blue cheese, unpasteurised brie etc and eat everything else pretty much!

Oh and I'm in the US, I heat lunchmeat before eating and make sure to thoroughly cook hot dogs and other processed meats. I cook ground meats to well, and whole meats to medium well, poultry of course always well done.

I don't eat pate or brie, but unpasteurized brie is not sold in the US.

I don't eat meat that I don't know how long it's been out, like potlucks or conference foods, where it may have been put out earlier, or when people have leftovers and I don't know when they were put up after they were cooked or something.

My OB mentioned that if i eat any deli meat i should pop it in the microwave to warm it and kill any potential bacteria. ive eaten deli meat a few times without doing so prior to her telling me this, and i think its probably fine... it seems like a precaution.

You're good to eat this in the uk. The nhs guidelines are on the website. I go by those.

I've been paranoid about the same thing. My Dr. advised that deli meats are fine as long as they're good brands and from a reputable place. She literally said, don't eat meat from street carts. And she said don't eat them everyday, but once or twice a week is just fine.

I know i'm in the US, but my drs gave me this packet and it has a good breakdown of all the foods you should avoid, and why (food stuff starts around page 8)

https://womenfirsthc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/20141015112016905.pdf

In the UK, it's absolutely fine to eat sandwich meats :D Consider yourself lucky, the thought of any meats makes me feel sick. Bleugh!

Yeah I think that's fine, it's mold ripened cheese like bree and goats cheese you need to worry about, or anything unpasteurised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->