Is anyone else worried about ice/snow?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Jennifurball, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Jennifurball

Jennifurball Mother of 1 and a bump!

After the last couple of years, I am dreading this year because I don't want to crash my car/slip in the ice and hurt baby.

I hit my car a few years ago and it really shook me up, then last year I used to have to walk to work and nearly went over a few times. Now I live further out but driving is just as harmful to baby if the snow comes like it did.

Just wish we could stay in over winter and protect baby from germs and dangerous weather! :cry:

2. Anna2808

Anna2808 Well-Known Member

I have just ordered new snow boots for necessary walk to local shop but have already decided I will not attempt driving in the snow to work this year; it's just not worth it. I am very anxious driving in that weather and last year had some very close calls and even slid sideways down a bridge towards some red traffic lights- I was very lucky not to have hit anyone but it petrified me! If it was a short walk or I was a more confident driver I might consider it though.

3. lalitas charm

lalitas charm Mummy to Bethan & Piplet

In a word yes. I'm dreading driving and if the snow is anything like last year I'll not be leaving the house much as I fell a couple of times in the snow last year and obviously don't want that to happen this year while pregnant :( I have to drive a fair distance to get to work and I'm worried about that as where I live is a little village in the country so most of the way is country roads and when I do meet more main roads it will be a really steep hill which is scary :( I nearly crashed last year going to work.

4. Mummy Bean

Mummy Bean Parker & Dougs Mum

Me, the past few years it been so bad, fortunantly we have a land rover so can still get around, but if it comes in Feb again i am going to be massive - and if baby makes an early appearance.

I have spoken with work to see if we can arrnage special arrnagments - as we have a local branch nearer home so going to see if i can work there rather then trying to get into london.

5. Debbie82

Debbie82 Privileged Twin Mummy

Yup, I've already fallen and was really shook up by that.

Any drop of snow and the car will be left. Work have already told me to take it easy coming in and not to worry about time keeping etc.

Here's hoping for a mild winter:thumbup:

6. Louise73

Louise73 Well-Known Member

Its so lovely to look at but im dreading it this year. Fell over and landing on my coxyx 2 years ago and its only the past year its got better. Luckily I dont have to work so dont have to venture out.

7. EmzLouise

EmzLouise Well-Known Member

I am a bit, mums ordering me these grips you put on the bottom of your shoes! My teach said to me if it snows during term time don't even attempt to come in as it's quite far so that's fair enough I suppose, I don't drive but OH does and he'll never drive in snow! Last year was awful. I may order some more boots but money is a joke right now :-(

8. faith82

faith82 Mummy of 2 little beauties ❤️

I'm dreading the snow coming this year too, my DH has bought me a cheap 4x4 to go to work in as he's so worried about me driving this year, bless him. Think i'll be wearing my wellies too! x

9. Star7890

Star7890 New mummy

Im worried too.. I start work at 6am so the roads wont even be clear by the time Im going.. I think I might have a word with my manager and say to him that I dont want to risk anything by driving because its just not worth it.

So Ill see what he says.. hopefully it will be like last year where the proper snow didnt come till a bit later.. Im finishing on the 28th of January so as long as Im tucked in nesting at home I wont mind after that! xx

10. babyoneill

babyoneill mother to Amber and Lexie and Jack

ive got me some ice grippers for the soles of my shoes xx

11. shopgirl771

shopgirl771 mum to Jacob

i have a slight phobia of walking on ice at the best of times and have been known to call in sick to work if its icy. i dont drive.
    last time i was pregnant and it snowed i only lived a 5 min walk to work and my OH made me get a taxi in. we found a nice sympathetic driver who didnt mind doing such a short journey for a few days. my oh also went out and bought me quality wellies to wear.
    this year hes found these chain things in the barbour shop that u put on ur boots to grip the ice, there like the ice chains u put on ur car tires and hes talking about getting me those. lol.
    tbh if its icy im just not gonna go out not with a bump and buggy.

12. TheLocation

TheLocation New mommy!

I'm terrified.
    Last year I fell twice. I'm trying to find good snow boots now.

13. xloulabellex

xloulabellex Mummy to 2 beautiful boys

yes, Last year I fell over, and I hit my car twice (once quite badly, once mildly)

I'm PETRIFIED. I have snow boots but I'm SURE I was wearing them when I fell over anyway..... xxx

14. Jennifurball

Jennifurball Mother of 1 and a bump!

It is horrible isn't it? :(

My boss said anyone who can't make it in has to use the day as leave or unpaid. I have hardly any leave left so I will have to leave myself skint if I can't come in. :(

Is this something we can be protected by with regards to discrimination? If we don't want to come in for our baby's safety?

15. Star7890

Star7890 New mummy

I was thinking this.. I suppose if push comes to shove you can always 'pull a sicky' with a pregnancy related thing? :blush:
    It shouldnt have to come to that though should it? I hope my manager is understanding

16. Glowstar

Glowstar Mummy to 3

I'm the same....petrified. We live on a really steep hill and last year was a nightmare. I also have a 40 mile round trip to work and have to use the M60 which is notorious for accidents :nope:
    I'm just hoping the snow stays away until mid February so I can go on Mat Leave :winkwink:

17. erikab922

erikab922 Well-Known Member

I'm another one who's gotten those ice grippers for my shoes. Our gutters leak something rotten and my landlady is having a devil of a time getting someone 'round to clean them. Problem is, when the snow melts from the roof, it overflows the gutters and lands on the pavement outside our house and then it forms a gigantic ice rink. Last year it was an inch thick in some places!

We live on a dead-end street with a big S-curve and the council doesn't grit our street - and it's on an incline so when it's really snowy/icy you have to try to control the car going downhill while trying to negotiate two really tight 90-degree bends (and the jerk who lives at the bend ALWAYS park his car in such a way that you only have half the space to work with - his excuse is 'it's a legal spot' but still!)

So even though I grew up in Chicago and am used to diabolical winters, they're just so different when you're near the countryside and the roads aren't gritted and are twisty/turny as it is, so I reckon I won't be going very far this winter either.

18. kate1984

kate1984 Expecting a Princess

I'm scared of getting snowed in and DF having to deliver baby if we can't get out!

19. fairy3853

fairy3853 Well-Known Member

Im absolutly dreading it. OH would murder me if I attempted to take the car out in the snow or ice as our car doesnt handle well on ice & Snow, were talking about getting new snow tires but even then, with them on, I still wont be taking the car out myslef. Also I dont intend to walk anyware in it, but not getting out of the house will give me cabin fever for sure

20. SnowWhite90

SnowWhite90 Well-Known Member

Im dreading it to!! :'( im so clumsy!