• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Is anyone obese and pregnant?

louisaL

Trying for number 1
Reaction score
Sorry i know this is very personal and if you feel better please PM me. But i am obese and this is my first month of ttc and i am wondering if i will even look pregnant.

Obviously as an over weight person i have my 'bump' already lol but wondered if it would go into shape or just stay the same because there would be enough room for the baby ifswim?

Hiya,

Yeah I am very overweight and am nearly 27 weeks pregnant. My BMI is really high and I know everyone says you should lose weight beforehand but this was a complete surprise!

I am afraid I don't look pregnant really - only to those people who know can notice that there is a bump under the already existing bump!! I still have the flabby bits (which I hoped would go away with the bump growing) but I am afraid as they are from different parts, the bump just grows underneath. At times, esp when using the tube I want to wear a 'I am pregnant, not just fat' badge as I never get offered a seat. :(

The midwives have been great though but I have just been told by the Obstetrician that they want extra scans at 30 and 34 weeks to check on the growth as they are a bit concerned about my BMI and also want a check with an Anaesthetist in case c section is needed.

Hope that helps but if you need any more info, please feel free to PM me.

Hi thank you so much for replying and a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!

Yes of course its worrying and ideally yes we should all get down to a healthy weight before getting pregnant but like your say it was a complete surprise. I worry that people will think i am lying if i say i am pregnant and they will just laugh at me (if i am of course).

It is nice the MW are kind and at least u get extra scans to see your baby ;)

My auntie lost 4stone during her pregnancy without even trying, just her hormones and starting to like tastes shes never liked before helped her on her way.

hi there...

i am also obese being 19.5 stone bmi is 39 or 41 cant remember now i have a daughter already and this baby was very much a surprise, as I would have liked to have lost weight first but alas twas ot meant to be lol

I cant give birth in the midwife led unit and have to see a consultant each visit because of my weight, i think i will ave extra scans but i am also disabled and have to check size for a natural birth...the one down side is i have been signed off work because of my bp and even though i am stressed i think a major part of this is due to my weight and have to go on the 17th for my gestational diabetes test.....

all in all, stay positive it will happen

h x

I am very obese as well, and have PCOS to top it off (joy). After two cycles of clomid we got a BFP. I don't think I look pregnant, I think I just look a bit fatter, but everyone else thinks I look pg. :shrugs: I lost 25lbs in my first trimester and still haven't gained all of it back yet. Here I am at...28 weeks
https://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j237/pyxie_rose/IMG_2306.jpg
Here's an AWFUL pic of me before I got pg:
https://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j237/pyxie_rose/IMG_1341-1.jpg

hi guys, can i join your club? lol i am obese as well! although i hate that word "obese" - it makes you feel crappy doesnt it!ah well never mind. i am 17 stone, 5' 2" and 27 weeks pregnant.my bmi is over 40.pregnancy so far has been fine...i do have a diabetes test next week due to my high bmi but i am sure i dont have diabetes.fingers crossed.i also have an appointment next week with a consultant to check i am not at risk of pre eclamsia so i guess next week ill find out a bit more about things.i was told i would probably need ivf treatment to get pregnant and we even talked about getting a loan out after our wedding BUT we conceived on our wedding night - first time!very very lucky.what do doctors know huh?!?! :) anyway, people know i am pregnant now...i might look overweight but you can tell there is a hard bump there now.a bit like pitbullmommy's picture - thats a deffinate bump!:)goodluck girls......oh and a few of my friends have had to see consultants recently because they are too underweight!!! not enough nutrientsfor the baby etc so its not just us bigger girls who have problems........it seems there is no perfect size to have a baby.xxx

hi guys thanks so much for coming forward and a huge CONGRATULATIONS! to all of you!! i cant wait to be where you are! like everyone i just hope there are no complications!

PitBullMommy you look fantastic! i actually think you look 100% pregnant (well 55% given your term lol) and wouldnt know u were overweight!

I will be joining you in a week or so in the third trimester. :D

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and was overweight before I got pregnant with my little surprise. And I was dieting at the time, but had a hard time losing weight. I did not know my thryroid was slightly underactive at that point and needed extra medication.

When I became pregnant, my thyroid became very underactive and I piled on 4 stone!!! After 5 blood tests and 4 times with increasing my medication, my thyroid is finally regulated as of last week. And my weight gain has slowed down. PHEW!!!

Now, I am carrying a lot of weight on my 5'2" frame along with baby bump. And I am breathless all the time due to a combination of both and baby pushing his bottom against my ribs. However, my BP has been perfect, no sign of diabetes or anything else. In other words, a perfectly fine pregnancy so far....just the mother being totally neurotic!

However, I am not worried about losing the weight since I know it will come off later on. :D My biggest worry at this stage is trying to find comfy knickers in a size that will fit my belly and large bum!

Hi all, I too am 'obese' (i hate that word too) my BMI is 41 and I am 19.1 and 5'7.

I am 5 weeks and 4 days pregnant and I am really worried that I am not going to 'look' pregnant! I have put on 5 pounds in the last two weeks and I am worried that this will harm the bean.

Has anyone had any problems with scans etc because of their weight??

i am 'obese' my BMI before i got pregnant was 36, i don't think i look pregnant but people who know me says they can tell. i had trouble with my scans i even had to have my 20 wk one rescheduled because of it, even though she didnt say it to my face-i saw it in my notes. i tried for 5 years for my little one, i have PCOS and before they would try Clomid i had to have my BMI to 35 and a week before the appt at the fertility clinic to find out if we were going to get clomid-we found out we had a little one on the way! so she is a miracle. lots of hugs to everyone x

I am classed as "obese" as well - 5'9" and BMI of 40 before getting pregnant. I'm 38 weeks today, and look VERY pregnant - it's definitely been a baby bump and not fat for a long while now. Also had no trouble getting pregnant, and have had absolutely no complications. Was referred to consultant care due to my BMI and a family history of gestational diabetes, but I've been tested and do not suffer from it. I have been discharged from consultant care, and no one has any concerns about this pregnancy - from day one they said everything is just wonderful.

I have put on about 15lbs this pregnancy, which the MW is delighted with. She says that baby will get all he/she needs from the mother and as long as you eat a balanced diet, all will be well.

Hope that helps :hug:

My story is identical to AnnaBanana's. I have had the Glucose Tolerance Test and I was fine. I have scans booked in for weeks 32 & 36 to check on the baby's size but the mw is not too concerned. I was on tablets for high blood pressure pre-pregnancy and I still take them although my bp has really come down since getting pregnant (114/60) which I'm really pleased about.

As long as you eat healthily there is no reason why your pregnancy shouldn't be problem-free. I've seen a lot slimmer people have far more problems with their pregnancy than I've had with mine - so just enjoy the experience :o)

As per the weight for my height and BMI I would be classified as obese too! I do look pregnant as my bump has gotten very round, although I guess I could say my weight was distributed quite evenly throughout my body pre-pregnancy. And I've only gained weight in the belly.
My BMI right now is 39.8... and if I get up to 45 by the time I go into labour, I won't be able to deliver at the hospital I would like to. :(

my bmi is 39
im 32 weeks today
and i look very pregnant
i didn't think i would but
coming into third ive really
started to show
so dont worry you'll have a bump!!
it toke us 2 years to concieve but
ive not had any problems so far
with me or the bubby ...
so dont worry

:hugs:
x​

I have the highest BMI out of the replys and I have a huge bump, definatly no mistaking im pregnant lol. I PM'd you hun x

congratulations to you all i'm sure my time will come eventually. forgotten i had written this post as it was almost a yr ago lol

Numbers are hard but I'm going to share mine. I was actually on my way to gastric bypass. Im 5'4" and was 340 lbs. I had to diet for 6 months per insurance to have them cover the surgery and lo and behold right after the 5th month, I came out pregnant. I think at that time I was 332ish, of course not successful which is why I was going for the bypass.

During my 1st trimester, I actually lost about 20 lbs. I don't know if I was eating better because of the baby or just nauseous and not wanting to eat at all. I'm in my third trimester now and I'm back to where I started so technically I haven't gained any weight. The doctors recommend only gaining 15 lbs when you are overweight or obese.

I am showing a bit. People tend to notice that I'm pregnant. I don't know if they think I'm 8 months along or just a little but some people don't show at all. You will show more with your 2nd child also. I am still in my regular clothes. I didnt buy maternity cause it didnt seem worth it. I did get (I can't believe I'm sharing this) underwear that was 1 & 2 sizes bigger and jeans 1 & 2 sizes bigger. I bought a few shirts at the Avenue that look like maternity and I'm not sure that I will wear them after 'cause it will make me look pregnant when I'm not lol.

It is hard to deal with pregnancy when you are obese, especially as large as I am. You want to have a cute round pregnancy belly and that's just not going to happen. You don't get to have the cute clothes but rest assured that your baby will be just as healthy and that's really what matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"