is brocolli and stilton off the menu?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by chocolate, Dec 21, 2009.

1. chocolate

chocolate Well-Known Member

My mum doesnt know im pregnant and was going to make my favourite brocolli and stilton soup for a starter xmas day - do I really have to give this up?

Id have to say I had a big brekkie and then sulk whilst everyone tucks in!!

2. broodylocket

broodylocket Well-Known Member

im not sure if its been cooked? hopefully someone knows :)

3. lil_miss_pink

lil_miss_pink Mummy to Charlie

Hello hun, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but stilton is on my list of 'banned foods'! Any soft / veiny cheeses are not allowed. Cheddar is fine tho.. maybe brocolli and cheddar soup?? Hmm not so sure actually!! :sick:

I do wonder sometimes whether it's all a bit OTT with the long lists of things to avoid?? Maybe the doctor's are just covering their backs in case of the odd rare incident?? OH's mum was shocked at the great big list of no-no's I showed her - she said that she was never told about any of them and still managed to produce 2 healthy boys.

4. chocolate

Its one of those things that im thinking 'well I dont drink or smoke so just one bowl of soup on xmas day will be my downfall!' but then if anything happened then id say it wasnt worth it!

5. Poshie

Poshie Mummy to Boy & Girl

I love brocolli and stilton soup too! :D Tbh, I would have it a) because (I assume) you don't have it very often and b) it's been cooked as part of a soup. If something were to happen because you ate it, I would be extremely surprised and you'd be extremely unlucky.

6. beachlover1

beachlover1 Pregnant and mummy of one

Mummm I agree, its been boiled i presume!! maybe boil it like hell ;-) thats gotta kill any badboys that are lurking. I assume its not something you eat often...once in a decade would be enough for me ;-)

Whats everyone else think? x

7. Adela Quested

Adela Quested Well-Known Member

I agree about it being cooked - ask your midwife, but the risk is because it's mould-ripened (and mouldy, haha!) and therefore has a higher risk of having listeria or other nasties (though this risk is still very low). However cooking kills listeria (that's why you can have hot smoked salmon, for example, but not cold) so I should think that you were well in the clear.

Just get some medical advice rather than taking it from the internet, but in my opinion as long as it's thoroughly cooked it won't be an issue.

8. chocolate

Thanks for the replies - I reckon boiling it will cook it well anyway.

At this rate I wont be having any soup as my mum is snowed in at work and she makes it!

9. fluffpuffin

fluffpuffin Well-Known Member

10. kc1980

kc1980 Well-Known Member

I would eat it - I am eating all non-pasteurized cheeses cooked & have been eating anything that's pasteurized, including gorgonzola & mouldy ones, raw. I think it's at OTT to say you can't eat them. I don't go crazy but I'm sure it's fine once in a while!

11. chocolate