is brocolli and stilton off the menu?

chocolate

Reaction score
My mum doesnt know im pregnant and was going to make my favourite brocolli and stilton soup for a starter xmas day - do I really have to give this up?

Id have to say I had a big brekkie and then sulk whilst everyone tucks in!!

Hello hun, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but stilton is on my list of 'banned foods'! Any soft / veiny cheeses are not allowed. Cheddar is fine tho.. maybe brocolli and cheddar soup?? Hmm not so sure actually!! :sick:

I do wonder sometimes whether it's all a bit OTT with the long lists of things to avoid?? Maybe the doctor's are just covering their backs in case of the odd rare incident?? OH's mum was shocked at the great big list of no-no's I showed her - she said that she was never told about any of them and still managed to produce 2 healthy boys.

Its one of those things that im thinking 'well I dont drink or smoke so just one bowl of soup on xmas day will be my downfall!' but then if anything happened then id say it wasnt worth it!

I love brocolli and stilton soup too! :D Tbh, I would have it a) because (I assume) you don't have it very often and b) it's been cooked as part of a soup. If something were to happen because you ate it, I would be extremely surprised and you'd be extremely unlucky.

Mummm I agree, its been boiled i presume!! maybe boil it like hell ;-) thats gotta kill any badboys that are lurking. I assume its not something you eat often...once in a decade would be enough for me ;-)

Whats everyone else think? x

I agree about it being cooked - ask your midwife, but the risk is because it's mould-ripened (and mouldy, haha!) and therefore has a higher risk of having listeria or other nasties (though this risk is still very low). However cooking kills listeria (that's why you can have hot smoked salmon, for example, but not cold) so I should think that you were well in the clear.

Just get some medical advice rather than taking it from the internet, but in my opinion as long as it's thoroughly cooked it won't be an issue.

Thanks for the replies - I reckon boiling it will cook it well anyway.

At this rate I wont be having any soup as my mum is snowed in at work and she makes it!

Rather than guessing I had a look and stumbled across this:
https://www.babyandpregnancy.co.uk/UnsafeFoodsPregnancy.html

looks like it should be fine then, as the cooking process would kill any listeria.
xxxx

I would eat it - I am eating all non-pasteurized cheeses cooked & have been eating anything that's pasteurized, including gorgonzola & mouldy ones, raw. I think it's at OTT to say you can't eat them. I don't go crazy but I'm sure it's fine once in a while!

Rather than guessing I had a look and stumbled across this:
https://www.babyandpregnancy.co.uk/UnsafeFoodsPregnancy.html

looks like it should be fine then, as the cooking process would kill any listeria.
xxxx

brilliant - thanks for looking :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"