Is having a December birthday such a bad thing?!!

Winning

Reaction score
So we're waiting for an appointment with a fs, so that we can fiiiiinally start trying. We've calculated that the second month we can try will mean baby will be born in december, which has horrified hubby! He thinks the kid will grow up miserable if they don't have a birthday that is suitably far enough away from christmas day!

Any ideas on how I can reason with him?! I don't want to start trying then have to stop while we try and pick out a nice birthday!

I was conceived in february my birthday is in november lol...but I know alot of people who is born in december who love their bday

I think anything before the 15th is OK, but after that I have to be honest...it's not great! Mine is early Dec and I would much prefer it was in June or July or at least spread out a bit...but it is manageable, LOL.

I think the thought of these little fears just takes time to get used to. I was freaked out that if we conceived now our baby wouldn't have a summer birthday and wouldn't be able to have a fun birthday. But the more and more we think about it, the more we have realized that it isn't the month that is important to us. We just want a happy healthy baby and all the rest is just in between :)

My son is born just before Xmas and he is a very happy boy! If you don't make a big deal out of it, your kid will be perfectly fine too!

I do totally agree though that there are MUCH more important issues and there are LOTS of ways to make a Dec birthday special :thumbup:

I was just thinking this year how nice it was to have my birthday dinner at the pub when it is all decorated and cozy. It was lovely!

The way I see it, a baby is a blessing no matter what day they're born! I have a cousin who had two boys... one born on Christmas the other on New Year's Day. They're perfectly content. They do wish their bdays were during other times of the years because it inevitably does get overshadowed by the holidays (everyone's too busy to come to bday parties and such). They're teens now. They don't care too much though.

My LO's birthday is Xmas eve, and he doesn't care- He just wants his prezzies!

i am a december baby and i hate it. people seem to forget my birthday because christmas is 10 days later lol. and the gifts were never really good.. and i couldnt ever do nothing for my birthday cuz of the cold. *ranting* lol

I'm Dec 13th and never had a problem with it, the only sucky thing is that there is almost always a Christmas party the week/weekend as my birthday, but again not a big deal. As as you the parent still make it THEIR special day. I was supposed to have a December 2011 baby but sadly lost her at 16 weeks. When I first found out I was pg and due in December, I had the same concern, but now I would have a December baby in heartbeat, I'd just be happy to have a healthy baby.

My bday is 5 days after Christmas. I only remember having 1 big birthday party growing up, but we didn't have much money so that wasn't expected anyway. As long as you don't make an issue of it, your child shouldn't either. Plus there's nothing wrong with having a small birthday celebration at home and then a bigger party when you can fit it in. Small children really won't know the difference and bigger ones should be understanding if you're raising them with good morals/priorities.

re-animating a zombie so sorry

but

my son is the beginning of January (he was early it was meant to be February) and it is awkward I wont lie, its always during a blizzard and everything is shut for the cold period, its the day everyone starts back at school (so no good time to send invites) and no one has any money or time due to work, new year and the after effects of Christmas

I would hate to go into labor on xmas as I always have panic attacks at Christmas and id hate that during labor lol

but I agree with earlier posters that a few weeks before is fine really, 2 weeks before Xmas is much easier than 2 weeks after

but a healthy baby is always the important thing

as a side not though I was born on Easter and it was the bane of my childhood every year everything I received was Easter themed, I always got at least 6 egg cups, 8 Easter eggs or more and something rabbit styled or even a real rabbit once... I hate rabbits they are pretty much the ONLY animal I dislike, dont like chocolate and who needs hundreds of egg cups???

I only ever remember one non Easter gift as a child, it was nice to have something actually bought for me with genuine though as 90% of the time it was just Easter eggs from multipack deals (and as said before I dont eat chocolate so the all went in the bin anyway) I honestly would rather have nothing than an Easter egg because its just a waste of money and space :dohh:

+ everything is closed on Easter too... so every month probably has downfalls

I was born December 21st - when I was little I could have cared less. As I got older I was bummed because I never got to celebrate my bday at school (you know, back in the days when people decorated your locker! haha). Now a days....I could care less. But mostly because I feel too busy to even care about my bday. It becomes a hassle trying to get people together so I usually just forget it all together and just have the OH and I do dinner.

The OH is also a December baby, although early December.

I've debated on skipping next month if I get AF this cycle to prevent ANOTHER December baby in the family...I wouldn't skip it otherwise.

Edit: totally just realized how old this thread was!

My dd was born in July and I wanted another summer baby. I got pregnant in October and was due in July but sadly found out at 12 weeks I'd had a mmc. The only month I didn't ideally want a baby born was December as its so close to christmas. If I conceive this cycle baby will be due right around Christmas and I wouldn't mind at all. I'm just desperate for a healthy baby. I will a&e sure their birthday is special for them whenever it is. I though it mattered when you were born. It doesn't! X

I have a Dec birthday... it never bothered me at all. To me there are more important things to stress over than what month you're/they're born in.

I first started ttc as I had picked out the month I wanted my baby to be born. Needless to say 4 months later still trying! At this point I dont mind when they are born, I just want my baby!

Any time in december is fine, as long as its not Christmas day! Id refuse to push if I went into labor that day, lol

My DS was born Decemeber 26th. He's way to young to understand birthdays and Christmas (he's 15 month old). DH and I have decided that when he gets older we'll just celebrate in November or January (we live in Southern California so weather conditions aren't a huge deal unless there's an earthquake or a fire). To me it's not a big deal, my family only had four big birthdays, 1, 10, 16, and 21 if you want to spend that last big hurrah with the family, the rest were small gatherings mostly immediate family and if relatives were in town than they were invited too. My husband is a little different, they had big parties almost every year. For him, having a baby born the day after Christmas was a big deal until he actually held his baby. I'd say they aren't so bad but I was born in October so I guess I'll see how DS feels about it when he gets older.

I was born a week before Christmas. It's kind of annoying, but not a major issue. I'm trying to avoid having a baby in the second half of December for now. If we're still TTC a year from now, I'm sure I'll be happy with a baby any time. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, but we have SO MANY winter birthdays in our family. Basically everyone but my husband was born between early November and mid-January (if we're successful this month, my due date would actually be my mom's birthday). It gets to be a hassle and nobody celebrates anybody's birthday anymore now that we're all adults, because there's just so much going on. I wouldn't want to throw a holiday birthday into the middle of that. If it's just a holiday birthday without extra factors like in my family, I'd say just go for it, and make sure you're careful about not forgetting the kid's birthday in all the holiday fuss.

My daughter was born 30 December. Yes, it's a bit of a crap birthday, but who cares??!!! She's the best thing that ever happened to me, and thank goodness I didn't not ttc that month because of a December birthday. Obvs she doesn't care right now (she's 2), but as she gets older I plan on getting her a treat in summer time as she has an Xmas birthday - nothing extravagant, just a little present or go somewhere she wants to. Hope you can convince your OH, and good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->