Is he autistic????

Mammy to two
Reaction score
We have been having problems with our son for some time now. He can be aggressive has delayed speech and doesn't ever seem to want to conform. We got the health visitor involved at age 2 (now 3 1/2)due to his agression. He is also aggressive with his childminder and now also at nursery school. They have had to remove his shoes for kicking. He's been in the child development unit and now had an ADOS done. We are waiting on the results. We have tried time out, reward charts toy removal nothing seems to improve his behaviour. Today he hit our daughter (7 months old) my husband put him in his room and when my husband went to speak to him about his behaviour he just laughed and kicked him!!! He can be a very loving little boy and is really funny. So confused if we don't get a diagnosis of ASD then what is this and how do we stop him hitting!!!!!! Any advice would be appreciated. His SALT has told us she thinks he is autistic but the doctor said after the ADOS they didn't want to say anything as it was difficult to call and he needed to score his test. Thanks

Hi there,

Obviously there does appear to be some signs of Autism, hence the ADOS test. They will look at 3 main areas and your son will have to tick enough boxes in enough areas to be given an autism diagnoses. I feel that a SALT therapist wouldnt perhaps say she's thinking autism if she thought otherwise. I know they see alot of children with autism to have a good idea at what they are looking at.

Social stories work well with improving behaviour (ask your SALT about this, she'll probably make one up for you if you ask) I would always praise when your son plays well. We have similar problems at home and its not easy. I dont have an answer as we're trying everything and its not really sinking in very well.

Its a tough time right now, but if you are given a diagnoses, you will be invited to attend a free course called Early Birds which will give you strategies to help your son, and also have an insight as to why he behaves the way he does.

If you want to ask me anything you're welcome to PM me.

Take care!

thank you so much. I'm sorry to hear you are having the same problems. It is so stressful but, i think I'll feel better if i know there is a reason behind his problems.

Yes, it definitely helps when you understand why the behaviours are there. Hopefully you will get some answers soon. Xx

Hi, I have actually worked with children with Autism before. And my brother has High-Functioning Autism. The behaviors do sound like its a possibility, but only a professional who has studied your child's case can know.

Have you ever heard of PDD-NOS? (Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified). Basically PDD-NOS is on the Autism Spectrum so its practically the same, but slightly different if they can't find out *exactly* if its Autism or not but they think it is. It may be done differently here in American though.

I was a TSS (Therapeutic Support Staff) with a Rehabilitation Degree, but basically my job was being a professional briber lol. So what you want to do is use positive reinforcement (it sounds like you may have started that). The key is to be VERY consistent. And you NEED to make sure you are "pairing" you rewards to your child. For instance, lets say your child plays nicely with your daugter and does not hit her. After a few minutes go up to him and give him something he likes (like a small toy or something like that, i try to avoid candy just bc its not healthy, but if thats what works then all means, try it!). When you hand him the toy MAKE SURE you use verbal praise. So when you hand him the toy, say "You did a GREAT job playing with your sister and using nice hands..." And stress how great a job he did. Pretty much if you feel like an idiot telling him that than youre doing a good job :haha: Eventually you will get to a point that you will not need to give him the toy, instead you can just say "Great job!" (thats why you ALWAYS want to pair because if you dont he will learn to always get the toy. The idea is to get it down to verbal praise only). Also, MAKE SURE you NEVER take away the toy/item you are using to reinforce as a "punishment". You dont want him to associate ANYTHING negative with what you are reinforcing with. Otherwise it wont work. You are doing a great job with the time outs, just be consistant! It is tough, but it sounds like you are being a very good mommy so make sure to give yourself some credit!. PDD-NOS, ASD is a hard thing, but it gets easier and there is hope! I know i was sort of vague but if you need any other assistance, please let me know!

thanks so much for the advice, sometimes i get caught up in the difficult bits so need to be more positive x

Yeah I agree with the above, I have tried to abolish all negative and the household is alot happier x

positive works the best in my professional experience. :Dhope you find answers very soon. Getting a diagnosis is half the mental battle :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->