Is he too skinny (contains a naked but not too exposed pic of toddler!)

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by Kitten, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Kitten

Kitten Mummy to Theakston & Nyah

Theakston's always been... bony... he didn't look too amazing when he was born and was kind of long and thin. He's 18months old and up until this week was in 9-12month clothes. He lost his pot belly very early on (he started walking at 11months so think this had something to do with it) and lost some weight when we started dropping milk feeds.

He's a health 26lb 2oz and on the 56th centile for weight, not sure about height, he dropped from the 75th to the 50th when he was a year old but hasn't been measured since.

The thing is, he's had a growth spurt this week and has gone up and thin and this morning he just looked awful. You can see his ribs and everything and the health visitors rule was always "you don't need to worry until you can see their ribs".

I know I'm worrying over nothing because it's just his build and he is a scrawny little thing and he's on the 56th centile so nowhere near underweight and he's hardly emaciated!! But I just wanted reassurance from other people with helpful comments such as "ooh that's how my child looks" or "my child is waaaay skinnier than that" etc. :haha:

Pic of him this morning when I was fretting:

https://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/70b6953061.jpg

2. faun

faun Mum to 2 boys and 1 girl

He looks a very healthy size i can't see any of his bones so i would no way say he was underweight ignore other peoples comments he looks just fine :)

3. Kitten

Thankyou :) All the other kiddies I see his age are still chunky/chubby like when they were newborns but then he was never really like that apart from a phase at 6months when he bulked out. It just really creeped me out this morning when I could pretty much count his ribs from looking at him, I might just keep him permanently clothed until he bulks out a bit lmao.

4. sam2eb

sam2eb Well-Known Member

He looks fine! I wouldnt say he was skinny at all x

5. stephwiggy

stephwiggy Well-Known Member

Looks just like my wee man. I wouldn't worry. X

6. faun

faun Mum to 2 boys and 1 girl

Kitten you should so know better by now than to compare your child with others tut tut :rofl: every child is different just cause my boy is chubby doesn't mean yours should be too :) Just to add my oldest son was very chubby as a toddler and now he is a stick you can count all his ribs he eats like a horse but his dad is super skinny so its just genetics.

7. amie-leigh

amie-leigh Mummy To Princess Morgan

he looks like morgan does when shes naked :haha: morgan is 22lb and on 50th percentile after dropping from the 75th as well
    i think some children are just slimmer built if morgans naked and reaches up i can see all her ribs but my HV isnt concerned x

8. Aidan's Mummy

Aidan's Mummy Mummy to Aidan and Oliver

He looks like aidan hun. Every child is different :hugs: x

9. Claire788

Claire788 Mum to Gorgeous boy!

Yup looks alot like Luke! Would say he's def healthy Hun :):)

10. Kitten

Cheers m'dears!! I refuse to take him back to the health visitor after an argument over his weight before so thought I'd just ask other mums hehe. The things these kids have us worrying about, I blame pregnancy hormones ;)

11. AnnaBanana9

AnnaBanana9 Mummy

Looks a picture of health to me! Fab.
    xx

12. Abz1982

Abz1982 Mum to 2 nutters!

I cant see the pic, but Emma is 20 months and about 12.4kg and when not full of juice looks ribby and sleekit, but she is also very muscly looking. Her trousers etc all fall down as she is so skinny waisted!
    I would rather she start of this way than as large as some babies I have seen!

13. Kiddo

Kiddo Well-Known Member

He looks a lot like Harvey does and his weight seems normal for his age so I don't think you have anything to worry about. Quite often I can see Harvey's ribs when he's running around with his arms in the air.

14. Kitten

Aww thanks everyone for replying, thought I'd mostly get mocking, hehe.

15. princess_bump

princess_bump Happy Wife & Mumma!

i think he looks gorgeous! totally healthy and fine :D def. agree they are all different, maddi's always been tall/long, with a small waist, long legs and bigger up top :D

16. Tsia

Tsia My MyloMan - he turned 1!

hes looks just like Mylo! He often gets accused of being skinny cos hes got his dads genes.. his dad is 6'4" and only 10 stone.. well lanky!

17. future_numan

future_numan Mommy to 4 girls & 1 boy

He looks healthy to me !

18. Rachiebaby24

Rachiebaby24 Well-Known Member

he looks fine! can i just say, i was very skinny as a child and you could see my bones. my mum got a lot of stick but honestly, i ate loads!!! I was taken aside by my teachers at secondary school and asked if i had an eating disorder and i remember crying my eyes out in French Connection changing room because my size 8 jeans were too big! But i hit my twenties and just started to gain real weight! some people just have fast metabolisms! x

19. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

amelie is the same if not slimmer, worry not!

20. britt1986

britt1986 Well-Known Member

He looks fine Hun! :hugs:

My LO is 15 months and looks like your LO. Bryson has never been chubby. Always skinny and tall. He has always been in the 50th percentile for his weight, so I was never concerned. His height on the otherhand, has always been above the 90th percentile.