Is herbal tea safe?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by elvira, Jan 28, 2011.

1. elvira

elvira Well-Known Member

Just wondered people's thoughts. I'm on the decaff Yorkshire tea but sometimes fancy a change. And some herbal teas often help to settle my tum. There's obviously a billion things us pregnant types are advised to avoid, but I've read mixed things about herbal tea (I'm only talking supermarket-bought chamomile or peppermint - not the hard stuff!)
    Any advice appreciated!

2. Kittifer

Kittifer Well-Known Member

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/herbaltea.html

Nice informative article about which teas are okay and which ones to be careful of. Hopefully that has some answers for you =)

Edit to add that personally I drink fruity teas, and I think they're generally considered safe. Lemon tea, passionfruit tea, mixed berry tea.. all very tasty and no caffeine.

3. laughingduck

laughingduck Mother of one daughter

If a herbal tea was unsafe for pregnant women, I'd think they'd have to put that on the box somewhere wouldn't they? That article says Celestial Seasonings guarantees the safety of all their teas, so if you're worried you could always stick to that brand. I personally love herbal teas, I find peppermint and ginger especially useful for fighting off any nausea!