Is infacol a no no?

DextersMummy

Reaction score
Hi, I really wonder if my LO actually has reflux as today was another bad day of screaming out in pain :( then he would pass wind and calm down, this makes me think it isnt reflux and its trapped wind? So I wanted to use infacol again as wasnt sure what else? Dentinox he hates and gripe water I use. Though I read that infacol can make reflux worse and if there is even the slightest chance it could make it worse I dont dare use it? Anyone know if it does? thanks xx

I haven't heard that but I don't know for sure - I do remember my midwife saying that she used it on her kids even before they showed signs of colic.

thats the thing, im not really sure if what ive read is correct? though would be good to use it if it helps with wind.

I use infacol and gripe water for my LO who has mega bad reflux..
Try and use half the amount at first as i find the full 1ml makes my LO burp violently enough to make her throw up..
Shes fine on .5ml though..
Xx

I don't think it would make reflux worse. We tried it with Holly and it didn't work at all, we never managed to find something that did work. I thought Holly's pains were just trapped wind, it was reflux though. Problems with wind is a symptom of reflux. x x

trouble is the gaviscon im sure is making him worse :( he never used to scream before he went on zantac so then that was stopped, then on gaviscon he seemed ok for a while around a week then even tho he was only having 3 sachets a day he got constipated which meant I upped the lactulose and this seemed to make him worse too. gosh it makes you not know what to do for the best in the end? When he passes wind the pain goes this is why I thought was wind rather then reflux?

I would recommend Infacol. Everytime I gave it to Lily before her feed she always brought up wind and I never had any problems.

Does he have regular or silent reflux? If it's silent reflux, gaviscon can make it worse. It's really better for stopping them being sick. Holly was loads worse on gaviscon, but was better when put on ranitidine (zantac).

Baby massage gets rid of wind.

It works a treat, no medicine needed :)

He hasn't been properly diagnosed with reflux it was a guess from the doctor when I kept going back as Dexter often cried with tummy pains and seemed in discomfort. She guess at that and gave me gaviscon I then got given Zantac since being on Zantac screaming episodes started. That was stopped back to the gaviscon and a week later screaming has started :( here's the symptoms. Tummy pain, flinching when I touch his tummy and screaming and going bright red when passing wind, hiccups a lot, difficulty in passing poop even tho it's soft runny. It's a mystery as also dexter perfurs to lie flat so I'm really confused, decided now I should maybe treat it as if it's wind?Meant to say he very rarely burps and hardly ever spits up happens sometimes tho not often. Sometimes he looks like he is pulling a face when he swallows which I thought was acid I've totally lost the plot.

Molly went through all of the above too.. we used Colief in the end and she came off of it at 5 months. She still has the odd episode but significantly grew out of it after a few weeks of starting solids at 6 months.

Really? So sounds to you more like wind to? Omg I hope it goes soon. Colief is hard for me as I breast feed omg I just thought could I mix it with the cows milk free formula doctor gave me for mixing gaviscon?

It's tricky because wind and reflux do have similar symptoms. Holly had the exact same symptoms as your LO and it was cow's milk protein intolerance. She had reflux because of the CMPI. Have you tried eliminating dairy from your diet if you're BF? Colief basically breaks down the lactose in milk making it easier to digest, but breast milk is easy for LO to digest anyway. That's why I'm thinking it could be something to do with a milk intolerance?

^^ I agree, I think it could still be reflux. If you wanted to give it a go, PM fluffpuffin as she was BF when she gave it to her LO. I was FF when Molly was on it so can only explain how to use it for that but you need to leave it 30mins in the milk before a feed so can be a faff, that's if you want to use it obviously.

Sorry I should have said I cut out dairy three weeks ago, I have rice milk and vitalite spread and no cheeses etc, gaviscon appeared to help at first then he just got worse and worse.

Holly was combi fed, then switched to a hypoallergenic formula. It took about 5 weeks or so for her to improve 100%. Maybe it's not dairy but something else. There's someone else on here whose LO had multiple allergies , and she had to switch to hypoallergenic formula from BF, after eliminating all sorts of things from her diet. Perhaps you should ask for a paediatrician referral if your LO's still suffering. x x

Baby massage gets rid of wind.

It works a treat, no medicine needed :)

I've been trying massage to help my LO's trapped wind too, she particularly likes being held in the Tiger in the tree hold while I rub the base of her back. CupboardLove, do you have any particular massage techniques you use? It's taken me about 3 hours to settle her tonight, so any tips would be good!

i use it...i only use it if shes having a grizzly day and cant get her wind up easy (i only have to sit her up usually so if she dont bring up wind after a few mins of trying i know shes having trouble). i should imagine it wouldbe fine to use but would advise keeping a record of how baby is when your not using it and when you are using it so that you are able to compare and make a wiser choice whether to use or not x

I was prescribed Ranitidine as a guess too! The doc said it was fine to keep going with Infacol but I can understand that bringing up burps might be painful for the silent reflux baby because acid will come up in to already sore throat. However infacol helps my LO fart more than burp.
Her symptoms were looking like she was swallowing something back down when she burped, pulling off the breast, having lots of hiccups and wind, waking herself up from naps with choking sound, sudden screaming in the middle of being happy. I'm still undecided as to whether it is silent reflux

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->