Is it normal to be induced @ 41 weeks??

Veryv

Reaction score
I will be induced on monday which will be 1 week past my due date.. My ultra busy doctor has not given me a reason (no high blood pressure or complications) and everything seems fine.. He started giving me weekly sweeps @ 37 weeks, which caused me to lose my plug and today (a day past my due date) i got my 4th sweep and was told i was 4cm dialated, 80% effaced and baby is in -1 station.. I have been having cramps off n on and my belly keepa getting hard which I have been told is contractions but its not regular.. Im just wondering if this is normal as ive heard of ppl having babies 2 weeks over due etc.. I don't want to be induced! But i also want a healthy baby.. Any advice!

I don't know why, perhaps because you are dilating but not progressing, I would ask why they want to induce you this soon.

My doc said she wouldn't let me go past 41 weeks due to the placenta breaking down. It's good to know that your dr is at least being proactive with the sweeps, though. I'm going to inquire about that at my next appt.

You would be best to ask, my midwife only booked in me for induction the first time when I reached 41 weeks, then I got a date for 2 days past EDD, she was born 13 days past EDD.

Maybe just how to do it at your clinic but doesn't hurt asking anyway.

my midwife is very disapproving about this issue. she says it's more for the doctor's convenience than for any medical reason. she suggested, if it comes up, asking the doctor to do a stress test and to check the amniotic fluid levels to see if there's any medical reason to think the baby needs to be born early. if everything seems fine, she recommended waiting to see if labor starts on its own. in france, by the way, 41 weeks is treated the same as 40 weeks in the us -- that's when your due date would be, and it's not considered a week overdue. personally, i think that if it's not 42 weeks yet, there's a reason the baby hasn't come out and he or she is best left in peace to come in time. just my opinion though! good luck.

Ditto expecting76. . .

The 'placenta breaking down' reason isn't truly a problem until 42 weeks+ from my understanding, and it's really for convenience and legal issues that doctors have this 'mandatory induction at 41 weeks' business. Especially in the U.S.!

I'm at a birth center, not with an OB, and out of 1000 births they have only had to transfer ONE mom to the hospital for an induction for getting to 42 weeks. . .one. All of the moms there go into labor on their own by then.

Yet, doctors induce something upwards of 20-40% of all moms in the U.S.. . .it's one thing if there is a medical issue (pre-e, diabetes) but if you are healthy, baby is healthy (they can do stress tests), then there is NO REASON to induce. Remember, your due date could be off by a week, your baby could just not be ready. . .etc.

You as a patient have a right to not show up for that induction. Inductions are harder on you, and the baby. I would try some natural induction methods at home this week (https://www.lifepassages.net/NaturalInduction.html) and see if you can't get baby moving on his own :flower: QUESTION that doctor of yours, and if your mamma instinct tells you it's not right, DON'T DO IT. The stress of an impending induction that you don't want can actually delay your labor as well. . .I would concentrate on getting that baby out this week and try not to worry about what they want you to do.

Ditto expecting76. . .

The 'placenta breaking down' reason isn't truly a problem until 42 weeks+ from my understanding, and it's really for convenience and legal issues that doctors have this 'mandatory induction at 41 weeks' business. Especially in the U.S.!

I'm at a birth center, not with an OB, and out of 1000 births they have only had to transfer ONE mom to the hospital for an induction for getting to 42 weeks. . .one. All of the moms there go into labor on their own by then.

Yet, doctors induce something upwards of 20-40% of all moms in the U.S.. . .it's one thing if there is a medical issue (pre-e, diabetes) but if you are healthy, baby is healthy (they can do stress tests), then there is NO REASON to induce. Remember, your due date could be off by a week, your baby could just not be ready. . .etc.

You as a patient have a right to not show up for that induction. Inductions are harder on you, and the baby. I would try some natural induction methods at home this week (https://www.lifepassages.net/NaturalInduction.html) and see if you can't get baby moving on his own :flower: QUESTION that doctor of yours, and if your mamma instinct tells you it's not right, DON'T DO IT. The stress of an impending induction that you don't want can actually delay your labor as well. . .I would concentrate on getting that baby out this week and try not to worry about what they want you to do.

My due date IS off a week - it's a week earlier than the LMP which is what US doctors use based on AMA guidelines. Remember that this "week off" business goes both ways. Thankfully my doctor is aware of when I ovulated or I may have gotten to 43 weeks which I absolutely do not want as a lot can go wrong with a baby's brain and organs in 24 hours if oxygen supply is compromised.

Oh I know it goes both ways HungyHippo! :) I'm glad your doctor was able to recognize that as well. . .and absolutely, going to 43 weeks is unacceptable.

In the USA, it's very common.

In the UK and Canada, babies seem to do just fine at 41 weeks ;) Overinduction is a big problem in the US. Did your doctor give a reason for sweeps at 37 weeks??

Remember, you have the right to refuse induction if you feel it's important. Inductions are apparently more painful (I wouldn't know - I've only been induced, not natural labour, this si what I'm told) and it increases various risks. If you have no medical need and you do not want one, then you have some decisions to make! Good luck.

If I were you I'd just ask your doctor. Do you trust your dr, it doesn't sound like you have the best relationship. I think it is your choice whether you want it or not. If you ask and the reasoning doesn't seem justified then tell them you'd rather wait. Again I think its up to you if you want to be induced or not.

That being said, if it were me and my doctor said that was the plan I would go with it as it doesn't seem bad to me, but thats just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own :)

I don't see a need for induction. You're already 4 cm! Walk, walk, and walk! I don't think I'd worry until I was 43 weeks and still no baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->