Is it normal?

Sdg12

Reaction score
Hello, I am in need of advice! I have search the Internet multiple times and haven't found anything that suits me :(!

I am 18 and broody to the max! I have no idea why I feel like this. I have always wanted children. I was always with the younger relatives and playing with dolls as a child and I think that's part of my problem. All my friends have children and I'm always saying how they should have waited but now, I wish I was them. My boyfriend of 3.5 years is 20 and even though he wants children, he isn't ready yet. He just says it's because we are too young. We live together and we are stable enough both in love and money wise. I feel so selfish and just want this obsession with starting a family to go :(

I felt like you when I was 18/19. It's really hard as I used to sort of wish the time away so I could have a baby which isn't so good!

I am waiting another year or so before we ttc but looking back I'm glad my husband and I chose to wait. We have travelled quite a bit, brought a house and got married since then which is all things I wanted to do before having a lo. It's weird as when I'm involved with something big like moving or looking forward to a holiday, then my broodiness subsides a bit. I still think about it often but also know I will cherish the years my husband and I have spent just the two of us.

I'm waffling a bit but what I'm trying to say is that your completely normal. It might help if you set yourself some goals that you want to achieve before ttc and when you reach each one, you can mentally tick it off as a step closer whilst still enjoying your time with your partner.

All the best for the new year x

Thank you for the advice. I'm trying to keep myself occupied as much as possible, I even accomplished my desire for a puppy. It's gotten to the point where we don't speak about it. I have to deal with it alone because he doesn't understand. I'm just feeling very confused and to be honest, a bit lonely. I know he isn't ready, but I dudnt expect him to be like this :wacko:

:hugs:. I felt like you, broodiness set in when I was about 14, it was easier to handle then when ttc obviously wasn't an option. As I got older and met my DH and got into a position where we could've handled a baby the broodiness just consumed me. Looking back of course I'm glad we waited, while we could have handled a baby at 19/20 we would have been stressed (DH wasn't ready although I know he would have stuck by us, we'd have got by financially but money would have been a worry and I know DH would have resented not being able to live his life without the commitment of a child for a few more years) and I'd rather have waited and been able to enjoy it more (although it sure didn't feel like that at the time!). I found it really helped to get proactive and do things which could speed the WTT process along- saving money, working hard to complete my training for my career out of the way, going on holidays and stuff with DH while we were commitment free (something which was important to him). Maybe something like that would help you?

I was bitten by the broody bug for the first time with I was 19. I wasn't ready for a child at that point by any means, it was just the first time that I realized that I wanted one. I think it has a lot to do with hormones and the realization that you are officially an adult and therefore old enough to consider having a baby. I didn't actually get pregnant with my DS until I was 21 though and gave birth to him 1 month prior to my 22 birthday. He was a "happy accident" though, my DF and I did not try for him and were actually planning to wait until we were married to try for a baby.

It's normal to feel this way, but there's no need to rush. Are you going to college/university? Having other goals besides a baby can really help with broodiness, especially while in a relationship. My broodiness was completely manageable when I was single but when I found the right guy it hit me like a freight train and became almost unbearable. Hang in there, you'll be able to have a baby someday when the time is right, you're still very young. :hugs:

I feel so emotional all the time. I have finished education and I feel like I am ready to "start my life" I just feel like I'm in a constant battle with everything going on and I'm struggling to deal with it xx

I understand, I felt the same way but probably not until age 19/ 20. I wanted to be pregnant more than anything even though I was not in a good relationship. I feel that it is best to be in a stable, loving relationship and have enough income and that you both need to be ready and want a baby. I remember wishing for the years to go quicker too so that I was older and in a better position to have a baby haha.

I am so glad I waited as I met my husband, we have travelled, bought a house, got married and are going on another overseas trip before TTC. And we both want a baby. I really understand wanting to "start your life". Hopefully your partner will be on the same page as you in a year or two?

I never actually got broody until I was with my current partner (aged 23) I'm 27 now (no babies yet) but now I'm more so thinking I want a family with my partner not just a baby.

You're 18 I'd honestly advice you to wait. Wait until the age of 21-25. Also as your 18, go out and enjoy yourself (enjoy the nightlife) without thinking about a baby.

Oh man! I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling like this! I'll be 20 soon and for the past few months I've had the craziest baby fever! I've never wanted a baby before and now suddenly It's all I can think about! I'm engaged to my man and he already has a 2 year old, which I've grown quite fond of. But I really want my own.. We've talked about it, and then it got to the point where he was annoyed with it? The A word used to always come up and it made me incredibly depressed. Recently went to the doctors because I was having some ovary issues, took a pregnancy test and it was negative.. I've never felt so sad. I know that society rules it as too soon to be wanting a baby this early, but I can't help it! Seriously baby obsessed.:wacko:

Yes! So normal!

I feel like this now, sometimes i'll be just a little broody but suddenly babyfever overwhelms me and i want to stop everything and try!

Everyone said to me that i should go out clubbing/ go on holiday/ explore the world but it's just not my thing. My OH isn't quite ready but we both want a family in the future. So instead of doing what other people think people our age should do, my OH and I live together and spend our time doing whatever we feel like but have the main goal of setting up our lives with work/ money/ house ready for when we can TTC. It keeps me busy anyway but each time we achieve something i feel like were a little closer to having that LO! From my experience it's much better than just feeling you should be older.

for me being broody was hard, luckily for me hubby started getting broody around the same time I did, it was hard not be broody, when TTCing and being broody it makes each cycle harder and harder when you keep getting BFN. I have 2 boys, they are my world, I would love to have another, not just yet, hubby keeps changing his mind, some days I can get quite broody other days not so much, tend to be days when my boys do nothing by cry and cling to me. not really any advise there sorry, just my experience of being broody

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->