Is It Ok To Pump From Day 1?

westbrja

Reaction score
I plan to BF baby #3 and was wondering if it was ok to pump after every feed right from the beginning. Or is it okay to pump in between feeds at first. Would this increase and help establish my supply? I BF'd my other 2 kiddos and plan to with the new bub. I just wish I was one of those women who pumped massive amts.

I think it wouldn't hurt...not sure though as I only pump. But I know in the hospital they always encouraged it to increase my milk. So I say go for it!!

It probably won't hurt, but you can wait a bit, too. Everything else is so overwhelming, that the first day might be a bit ambitious! Your supply is still working itself out for the first few weeks, so if you start anytime in that frame, you are likely to keep your supply up. I started pumping the first time when LO was about a week old.

It probably won't hurt, but you can wait a bit, too. Everything else is so overwhelming, that the first day might be a bit ambitious! Your supply is still working itself out for the first few weeks, so if you start anytime in that frame, you are likely to keep your supply up. I started pumping the first time when LO was about a week old.

I think that's about when I started with my DS. I just thought it would trick my body into producing more milk for LO. I could always freeze it.

I wouldn't worry about it at the beginning, as TL said it might be a bit much on top of everything else! The first few weeks are the most important for your supply so I don't think doing it for the first couple of weeks would make too much of a difference.

Is there a reason you're worried about your supply being low? I would have thought that if you feed on demand then your supply should adjust to babies needs anyway :hugs:

No, I just know that I will have to return back to work and I know from experience with my other 2 that I don't pump much. There were nights that we calling it close on the ebm. We almost ran out several nights. I was hardly pumping enough for the next day as I work 12 hour shifts 3 days per week.

Also it seemed as if I walked around without a shirt on for the first couple of months with both DD and DS and it still seemed as if I was coming up short.

Sorry....also I would remove baby from the boob after they were on for 30-45 mins. They could't have been getting anything after that long right? How long should they feed for. With them feeding for 30-45 mins every hour was exhausting and wore on me. I know it's off the topic but I just wanted to know.

There are other ways to troubleshoot that, too. Generally, you are supposed to let them feed as often and as long as they want. However, there are exceptions. If they are just comfort sucking, you can offer a pacifier (under certain conditions), and sometimes if they have gas, they will want to feed just because their belly hurts. But they don't really need to feed, and if you can get them to burp, they will not want to feed again so fast.

However, it is totally normal to have periods, lasting up to a few days at a time, when they really do need to eat that often.

I've been pumping from day 1, I do it every 4 hours for about 20-30 mins, each breast will give me about 2.5oz which is great, I think I could get more but don't want to get engorged. x

I wouldn't. I had to pump pretty much from day 1 as my baby was in Nicu and it actually caused me problems with oversupply and a fast let down which made feeding difficult when she started to try to latch on. Not to mention the washing and cost of breastpads ;-).

Thanks ladies! I guess we'll just see how LO does. I just thought I could start early to prepare for going back to work and school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->