Is it possible to lose weight whilst pregnant?

StarAngel

Reaction score
Ok so I am confused at this point. My scales are showing me that I have gained around 8lbs/9lbs at 34 weeks pregnant. Doctors scales are weighing me less again, I am going by my scales. Baby is measuring perfect from my growth scan. I had a bmi of 26 before pregnancy and was loosing weight with exercise and eating healthy. I kept this up for during pregancy although I had to stop few weeks ago as I was getting injuries from hormone relaxin. I am wondering where the weight has gone onto? When my growth scan few weeks ago showed my daughter coming in at 4lbs... should I not weigh more based on fluid retention, breast tissue etc?

Do you weight yourself very often? The reason I ask, and you probably already know this, is that your weigh can vary a lot from day to day based on my factors (water retention, dehydration, fiber in your diet, etc). So if your first or most recent weights were off, then your stated weight gain by be a bit more than you think.

That beings said, 8/9 lbs is a fairly small weight gain for 34 weeks. 4 lbs baby + ~ 4 lbs fluid + ~3 lbs blood + ~ 3 lbs placenta and uterus + ~2 lbs breast = ~ 16 lbs of baby-related weight gain at this point. Of course it's possible to loose weight while pregnant--it happened to my friend (who had GD and had gone of sugar). And it sound like "you" have lost weight at this poin. If you, say, gain a pound a week for the next 6 week, and end with a gain of 15 lbs, you will probably loose all that and more after giving birth.

Are you trying not to gain weight? It's generally not advised to gain less than 15 lbs during pregnancy. But really, if your dr. wasn't concerned, and if your growth scan look good and baby looked healthy, then I wouldn't worry. But please do try to eat well.

In my last pregnancy I lost 3 stone wasn't doing anything in particular but that's just what my body does and this time I have lost about 2 .. I'm certainly not complaining lol

Yes it is possible and for some ladies completely normal :) I gain around 8-9lb for the whole pregnancy, babies have been upto 10lb, and am over a stone lighter after delivering than on conception day :) Don't worry, little one is getting all they need!

Do you weight yourself very often? The reason I ask, and you probably already know this, is that your weigh can vary a lot from day to day based on my factors (water retention, dehydration, fiber in your diet, etc). So if your first or most recent weights were off, then your stated weight gain by be a bit more than you think.

That beings said, 8/9 lbs is a fairly small weight gain for 34 weeks. 4 lbs baby + ~ 4 lbs fluid + ~3 lbs blood + ~ 3 lbs placenta and uterus + ~2 lbs breast = ~ 16 lbs of baby-related weight gain at this point. Of course it's possible to loose weight while pregnant--it happened to my friend (who had GD and had gone of sugar). And it sound like "you" have lost weight at this poin. If you, say, gain a pound a week for the next 6 week, and end with a gain of 15 lbs, you will probably loose all that and more after giving birth.

Are you trying not to gain weight? It's generally not advised to gain less than 15 lbs during pregnancy. But really, if your dr. wasn't concerned, and if your growth scan look good and baby looked healthy, then I wouldn't worry. But please do try to eat well.

Thats the thing, I haven't tried to lose weight, I continued to eat well and exercise throughout my pregnancy. I lost weight in first trimester due to ms and food aversions but apetite improved immensely in 2nd trimester. Doctors don't seem concerned and seem very pleased with her developement she has a fine strong heart beat and is veru active. I dont weight myself often doctors weigh me everytime I am in there.

Yes it is possible and for some ladies completely normal :) I gain around 8-9lb for the whole pregnancy, babies have been upto 10lb, and am over a stone lighter after delivering than on conception day :) Don't worry, little one is getting all they need!

Thanks a million, I wouldn't mind but the last few weeks my cravings are all over the place! I was getting worried but even at my app earlier in the week the doctor was very pleased. I always get comments on how active she is!

At the end I lost about 3 pounds idk how

Though you shouldn't be actively trying to lose weight, please understand some women's bodies react differently to pregnancy...I'm 30 weeks and have lost 21 pounds now, my body has a high metabolism during pregnancy, so combined with morning sickness in the first 15 weeks along with a higher metabolism, I haven't gained weight in my pregnancies other than 5 lbs with my second...I was actually pretty offended when the nurse asked me if I was starving myself when I was pregnant with my 1st.

I'm still down 7 at 32 weeks. I gained 25lb with ds, and weighed the same after I had him as when I got pregnant. No idea why I can't gain this time. I'm doing less exercise due to back and pelvic pain and eating normally. I'm a bit concerned as I'm high risk of placenta failure. They're monitoring her to make sure she's still growing ok. They're not happy I've not gained weight but aren't concerned as I was overweight to start with and the weight loss hasn't been sudden.

At this point, I've only gained 8lbs in total. I have GD & eat a high protein, high fat & low carb diet to combat the GD. I was overweight to begin with & my dr isn't concerned about my weight gain so far as baby is looking ok :) If baby is ok & your mw/Dr isn't concerned then I wouldn't be either. Some people do lose weight. A friend of mine lost weight while pregnant, she didn't have GD. x

Don't worry, it's okay :) as a pp has said, if your doctor isn't concerned, then it's fine. Believe me, if a dr is concerned, they let you know!

I was on some medication that made me gain a lot of weight prior to pregnancy, and stopped taking it when pregnant. I ended up losing over 40lbs while I was pregnant, and because I was overweight to begin with my doctor wasn't concerned at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->