Is it racist?

Yep I think its racist. I agree with Minxy I don't think it was motvated through racism but it definately has evolved into something sinister.

The white trash label isn't so racially motivated. It was invented by white rich people to describe white poor people. It is more of a socio economic derogatory term as opposed to a racial insult.

Found this in wilkopedia

White trash is an American ethnic slur with a social class component. The term is usually considered interchangeable with trailer trash. It is comparable to "honky" in that it is targeted toward white people, but it also connotes low social status and poor prospects (i.e., downward mobility). To call someone "white trash" is to accuse that person of being culturally bankrupt. "White trash" is not a demographic group recognized by sociology.

This group is "America's poorest and most disparaged and despised category of whiteness" (Berger 2000, p. 284). By the Fussell categorization of social class, most of these people would rank in the low and middle "prole" class. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, "white trash" first came into common use in the 1830s as a pejorative used by the slaves of upper-class Southerners, often plantation aristocrats, against poor whites, below even the status of yeomen, who worked in the fields; at the time, it was synonymous with the slurs "sand hiller" and "clay eater"; "white trash" were (hyperbolically) assumed to farm ineptly on poor land and therefore resort to eating clay in order to survive. The term involves both behavioral characteristics (such as mannerisms, lifestyle) and overt racial characteristics (whiteness). The term is widely used across the United States, not only in the South, Appalachia, and Midwest, but also in East and West Coast cities like New York and Los Angeles, as a shorthand to deride others, especially those from surrounding rural regions. On the West Coast, however, the term is often used colloquially in its abbreviated form: PWT (Poor White Trash).

As for the pisstake out of her accent - i do think that if you take the piss out of someones accent and mock them for it then I do think that could be classed as racist???maybe regionalist would be better??? When I hear Jo mimic her accent it reminds me of the racist jokes I used to hear, where they would put on a heavy Asian accent. Thats the thing with this...its not a case of saying "well she called so and so English and that isn't racist" as English has never been used to put someone down or be derogative whereas Indian has, and the manner in which it has been used is racist.

i honestly cant comment because 1 i dont watch BB anymore thought it was really boring, 2 i dont watch the news as we have nick jr on from 7am till 10pm normally :lol: and 3 i dont buy any news papers as its always full of bad news

so i havent heard about any racist stuff or seen it so im happy to say for once i cant comment :ninja: :ninja: :angelnot:

1.) THIS IS A GAME - C4 have decided on a person of Colour to win this year as they haven't before. This almost makes the BB winner group to a completion.

Channel 4 show what they want to portray not the reality!

2.) The 1st person to be Racist was Wacko Jacko's Bro' Jermaine. White Trash!!! He also questioned Jade's Parentage without knowing anything about her.

3.) They are being BITCHY and nothing more. Danielle said something Racist yesterday about go home etc but it wasn't intended to be like that.

4.) In CBB last year there was clear buyllying of Jodie Marsh, Chantelle, Preston on occasion by George Galloway, Pete burns, and Derrick Rodman.

5.) We are a country of PC MAD IDIOTS. Just because she is Indian doesn't mean she should be treated any different to anyone else.

6.) Shilpa is a control freak who is playing a brilliant game. I will be shocked if she doesn't win.

IT'S ALL BOLLOX

YTF Did an MP ask Tony Blair about it?

Does he not have a Country to run, and thousands of Armed Forces people in a war zone.

'Kin MP's need to get on and do some bloody work not talk about a TV programme.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ImTheDaddy said:
1.) THIS IS A GAME - C4 have decided on a person of Colour to win this year as they haven't before. This almost makes the BB winner group to a completion.

2.) The 1st person to be Racist was Wacko Jacko's Bro' Jermaine. White Trash!!! He also questioned Jade's Parentage without knowing anything about her.

3.) They are being BITCHY and nothing more. Danielle said something Racist yesterday about go home etc but it wasn't intended to be like that.

4.) In CBB last year there was clear buyllying of Jodie Marsh, Chantelle, Preston on occasion by George Galloway, Pete burns, and Derrick Rodman.

5.) We are a country of PC MAD IDIOTS. Just because she is Indian doesn't mean she should be treated any different to anyone else.

6.) Shilpa is a control freak who is playing a brilliant game. I will be shocked if she doesn't win.

IT'S ALL BOLLOX

What?????

1. Well fair enough its a game - then that makes the bullying ok :roll: . They can say what they want etc etc. As for the claim that BB have done it as they want a "person of colour" - I take it that they put in Danielle and Jo's contracts that they had to use racist language. No matter how much editing there is - even if they just showed that statement that Danielle said it was an unnaceptable statement to make. No-one deserves the treatment that she is getting - no one.

And when another minority won - i.e. Brian who is gay I didn't hear any homophobic comments nor did I see any bullying towards him. Same with Nadia - where was the bullying there and the discriminatory remarks about her being a transexual???

2. I already posted about the white trash comment.

3. It wasn't intended to be like that? So what was it intended like - her explanation was frankly shite - she is an intelligent girl and she knew what that statement would have come across like, you could tell that from her reaction in the diary room and the way she uinsuccessfully tried to cover her ass. Same as the Shilpa Poppadomm comment - whatever Jade. And as for Jo's comment about they are all skinny etc - was that misinterpreted??

4. I don't agree about the bullying towards Chantelle and Preston - they had an arguement but there was no sustained attack on them. However Jodie was bullied and as far as I can recall there was a hoo ha over it all.

5. The thing is she is being treated differently, I have seen no-one else get treated like she has unless I have missed Ian get the piss taken out of him all the time (maybe that was cut out of the edited section.

6. This statement is like you are saying she has brought it on herself. No-one, absolutley NO-ONE deserves to be bullied and to place all the blame on Shilpa is taking away the fact that Jade and co are choosing to behave in an absolutley disgusting manner. When I saw the show last night I had to turn off as what I was seeing brought back memories of what I went through. I was bullied for looking different, having a different accent and for having a dad who looked funny as he was having cancer treatment. I also got bullied as I was shy and therefore stuck up. Bullies and racists choose their behaviour - and they should take full responsibility for it.

ImTheDaddy said:

Does he not have a Country to run, and thousands of Armed Forces people in a war zone.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the issue has raised a very important debate in regards to racism whether overt or covert. I personally think thats a very important thing to discuss especially in our current climate, which incidently has been behind the war that you believe he should be discussing - how people are intolerant of others.

ImTheDaddy said:

Tony Blair is trying to build relations with countries where this type of behaviour is looked down upon and can cause those relations to become tested. He has the power to stop this programme and personally should do as it is causing other countries to question the way this country is ran and the attitudes this country has.

Also may I say that everyone thinks it was Jermaine who said the white trash comment, when in actual fact it was Leo Sayer who first said it, Jermaine was just repeating it.

Natalie&Karl said:
And why did they get so wound up when Shilpa did say that BB was her claim to fame...?

It was...!?!

Was funny when BB questioned Dopey Danielle about her "go back home" comment - BB should question housemates about their stupid remarks more often...might make them think before they speak.

Wonder if Teddy will ditch danielle when she gets out? Or maybe he's just as stupid as she is...?!

ha ha i was thinking that too, Danielle is a silly little girl, shes shown that she is not mature in there, I can imagine all the older WAGS turning there noses up at her. she really bugs me.

xx
xx

ImTheDaddy said:

IT'S ALL BOLLOX

ha ha well said!! i totally agree with you, this is a game, they knew what they were getting themself in to, they know what big brother is about.

There was lots of bulling and bitching last year, i can remember it well, just coz there is colour involed this year people think its racist, its not!

Also, they are all free to walk at anytime, so if they are that upset about it, why stay? i wouldnt put myself through that for no one, they are staying coz its a game and they want to win, Shilpa is clever, shes playing the biggest game of all. i really dont like her much.

xx

Unless she has a tv in there with the highlights on she won't have seen the vast majority of it as they save the really nasty stuff till she is out of earshot.

Whether its a game or not bullying is wrong - I can't think of any situation where it is acceptable.

layla said:
just coz there is colour involed this year people think its racist, its not!
I disagree. There have been times when there have been massive arguements between housemates from different ethnic backgrounds, am thinking of Ahmed, that girl in the 3rd series - the pole dancer (can't remember her name), Nadia,etc. I think the racial allegations may have come more from the comments that were said, if it was just because there are arguements between a white person and an indian person I doubt it would have attracted 20,000+ complaints and gotten so far without any evidence.

then shilpa has a crap agent, coz they are meant to inform her of EVERY part of takeing part in a program/game like big brother.
And no where did i say bulling was ok, i said it happens.

Shilpa has even said herself that its not racial, its bitching and bulling notthing else. Danielle's commant about her going home i really dont think was meant like that, i think she meant to get out of teh game and go back to her home/house. Jade shouldnt have made fun of shilpa's last name i grant that, but i dont see that as racial either, that was being a bitch. I can understand why people would be mad and complain, but from my point of view its bitchy not racial.

I think Jamaine has been racial, but nothing has been said about him!

Layla said:
then shilpa has a crap agent, coz they are meant to inform her of EVERY part of takeing part in a program/game like big brother.

Shilpa has even said herself that its not racial, its bitching and bulling notthing else. Danielle's commant about her going home i really dont think was meant like that, i think she meant to get out of the game and go back to her home/house. Jade shouldnt have made fun of shilpa's last name i grant that, but i dont see that as racial either, that was being a bitch. I can understand why people would be mad and complain, but from my point of view its bitchy not racial.

I think Jamaine has been racial, but nothing has been said about him!

Shilpa hasn't heard the racial comments!!!!!!!! They were said out of her earshot so she won't know what was said.

When was Jermaine racist_ are you talking about the white trash comment. I think that was a class and intelligence slur.

Danielle gave the most unconvincing explanation for her comment. She shat her pants when she realised that it had been picked up and tried to backpedal. And if she meant it like that she should have said "I wish she would get out of the house" or "I wish she was evicted" but no she said I wish she would fuck off home.

maybe you didn't say it but the impression I got from your comment how it was just a game sounded like you were minimising it.

Danielle is very imerture which is prob why it came out like that, im not sticking up for her, i think she is as bas as shilpa and jade, i just think people were to quick to asume that of her.

Even if jermaine was talking about class, its still not ok for him tp use the term "white trash"

Your all about facts, so if you re read my post you will see that no where in it did i say bulling was ok, i was bullied at school so i dont agree with it, maybe if you didnt have such a low opinion of me and relised that you dont know me then you woldnt have jumped to that conculsion coz that has made me really angry

Jade is going to be soooo bugerd when she gets out, loads of perfum stores have took her "shhhhhh" perfum down of the shelves :shock:

i used to love the girl.
i watched all her shows
i loved "Jades PA " bet she is gutted now she got the job :lol:

i cant stand jade now. big fat pig springs to mind every time i watch her. her voice goes through me. and plus i could never leave my kids that long. i am ment to be going away for 2 nights and cant bring myself to do it!
ok im going of the lines a bit :lol:

I'm defintely with beanie on this one.

I think all the comments they have made are racist - maybe they're too thick to realise or have been bought up thinking its ok to say these things -but the point is - it's still racist.

If i were to be in an Indian BB as the only white British person and they told me to "go home" i would certainly see that as racist.

If they called me Natalie fish and chips :shock: (i'd probably laugh first but) then realise it was a dig at my culture...

This is pure bullying, if you're child was in Shilpa's situation i'm sure you'd want them out or helped immediately.

Layla said:
Your all about facts, so if you re read my post you will see that no where in it did i say bulling was ok, i was bullied at school so i dont agree with it, maybe if you didnt have such a low opinion of me and relised that you dont know me then you woldnt have jumped to that conculsion coz that has made me really angry

And if you read mine then you would see that I agreed that you had not said that but by agreeing with that it was a game it came across as if you were minimising it. And I have not got personal - if you want to think I have a low opinion of you then fine. I don't have a low opinion of you and I have just explained how I read your post. If I misinterpreted it then fine, say that but don't assume I am getting personal because I have a low opinion apparently.

its not nice when people make assumptions about you when they dont even know you isnt it?

I do not think bulling is ok, nor do i think nothing should be done, you just asumed that i was minimising it. the fact that i said i dont think its racial is my opnion which im entiled to have, i didnt say it was fact.

Everyone is guilty of a form of bulling at one point in there lifes, its just these people chose to put themselfs in the public eye so its on show to the world more and there for made a bigger deal off.

I am not taking part in this thread anymore coz i dont like the things i feel i have been accused off, the people in the house can do the same and leave at anytime, but they dont so there for i feel they have to deal with what they are faced with.

And to be honest, im not sitting here argueing about a bunch of people i have never met.

x

Fair enough - I thought this was a debate where people could discuss the issue. just because I diagree with you doesn't mean I am attacking you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->