Is it safe to be around my horse/ride her

EmilyandBump

Expecting a Little Nugget
Reaction score
She's very gentle by nature, I just want to know if there are any dangers associated, apart from falling.
:shrug:
That is if anyone rides horses on here >.<
thanks in advance

I haven't ridden for years but if I still did I would stop. But maybe I worry too much, I don't know. I was a keen cyclist and runner until falling pregnant but cycling for me is absolutely out of the question. I feel it is an unnecessary risk. Even running has stopped which OH is happy about!
I think certainly when you have a bump you should avoid riding as your centre of gravity is off.
Have you Googled for what the 'medical professionals' advice?

I haven't ridden for years but if I still did I would stop. But maybe I worry too much, I don't know. I was a keen cyclist and runner until falling pregnant but cycling for me is absolutely out of the question. I feel it is an unnecessary risk. Even running has stopped which OH is happy about!
I think certainly when you have a bump you should avoid riding as your centre of gravity is off.
Have you Googled for what the 'medical professionals' advice?

I kinda agree I'm not overly bothered about not riding her tbh
I'm just wondering if It's a bad idea to be still cleaning her out or ask my sister to start helping :/

hi well my auntie has had horses all her life and she carried on riding untill she was due lol mad woman lol but she was fine...i spose if your used to that exercise then it shoulld be fine the only thing i would worry about was lifting the water buckets ext :) try and get some help doing them or only half filing them xxxxx forgot to add if ure really not to sure i would ask the doc just for reasurance ;) xxx

My advice would be to just be careful. On One Born Every Minute there was a mum who was still tending to all her animals including horses (not riding) right up until birth.

Just be very aware of health and safety, I read a memorial page yesterday linked from a lady on here who tragically lost her baby due to slipping on an icy ramp while tending to horses. She landed on her tummy causing a ruptured placenta and the devastating passing of her unborn baby (If she sees this I really hope it ok I mentioned it).

As long as you are aware and careful it should be fine to tend to your beautiful horse (mega jealous btw :haha:) you should be fine. Riding I was advise against but I'm sure some may say the opposite. If you can get help, then why not :)

hi well my auntie has had horses all her life and she carried on riding untill she was due lol mad woman lol but she was fine...i spose if your used to that exercise then it shoulld be fine the only thing i would worry about was lifting the water buckets ext :) try and get some help doing them or only half filing them xxxxx forgot to add if ure really not to sure i would ask the doc just for reasurance ;) xxx

Thank you hun, I'm sure my sister will help me, the horse lives on her farm anyway, and I'll double check with the doc about riding. xx

Thank you hun, I'm sure my sister will help me, the horse lives on her farm anyway, and I'll double check with the doc about riding. xx

yeah i rekon best thing to do :) just for peace of mind :winkwink: xxx

:D as long as I don't have to get rid of her I'm happy <3

hey! I have horses, have ridden and competed my whole life! I just graduated from an Equine Science degree, and going on to study a Veterinary Physiotherapy Masters so that I can be an equine Physio - so you could say Im pretty horse obsessed!

I am still riding, just hacking though in walk and a little trot. I have owned my mare for ten years, since she was 4 and I was 13. So I know her inside out and back to front. She is not an easy type and is very quirky but I trust her 100% and know how she will react to everything, I would not feel happy riding anything else though whilst pregnant.

I am also still doing all chores - mucking out, hay, rugs etc etc. If you are used to doing it then there isnt a problem. I am just sensible - I dont pick up heavy water buckets or hay bales any more. I am extra careful around their back ends even those that would never kick and I avoid going into a field full of horses I dont know.

I am not jumping, competing or hunting any more, just going on hacks and always with someone else - usually my Mum on her big old sensible gelding. I will stop as soon as it becomes uncomfortable or if Im advised to be a doctor. I have however talked it through at length with my OH as its his baby too. He thinks the happier I am, the happier the baby and I agree. You need to do whatever you feel happy with!

Thanks for the information :) I guess I will just evaluate the situation as I progress through my pregnancy.

Hey chick i stopped riding any of mine as son as I found out.

I have too competd all my life and a qualified instructor.

I have stopped riding as all of mine are bonkers. Not safe to ride normally lol. I have two very highly strung competition horses and 1 youngster and two rescues.

My friends rode all through pregnancy depends on your horse your ability and how you feel about it!

hi there,

most doctors say its fine to ride up untill arount the 18-20week mark and them recommend you dont ride againg untill 12weeks after giving birth:cry: but it does depend on you and your own doctors feelings as for mucking out aslong as you dont overdo it and NO heavy lifting at all you will be fine.

I would ride till my due date given half a chance but dh and gp dont want me taking any risks, however im still doing all the animal care of all our animals at the farm:thumbup:

xx

I ride horses and I would not risk it. Just the movement of being on a horse scares me while being pregnant and the risk of falling off. I have fallen off be4 and it was a bad fall I could not risk that while pregnant. Ask your doctor tho if he or she says yes then they know better than us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"