Is it safe?

Fadetoblack

Reaction score
Is it safe to do normal house hold activities and what not while pregnant. I am 5 weeks 1 day and am just to nervous to vacuum or do anything that may cause harm.

Thank you

Yes, its safe to vacuum, sweep, mop, do dishes, do laundry, etc.

Only things I would avoid are anything that involve heavy lifting (i.e. if you usually move the couches to clean under them, maybe do that on a day your OH can help) and do anything that involves smelly chemical cleaners in a well ventilated area -- or switch to dish soap + vinegar + water :winkwink:

How heavy is too heavy to carry? I was carrying a crate if chrome books (google mini laptop things) to my classroom at work the other day and was wondering if I shouldn't be doing that...

How heavy is too heavy to carry? I was carrying a crate if chrome books (google mini laptop things) to my classroom at work the other day and was wondering if I shouldn't be doing that...

I would imagine that varies from person to person, to be honest. I'd base it on your fitness level and strength pre-pregnancy, as well as how pregnancy is treating you. If the increase in blood volume makes you lose your breath easily, say, then you can lighten it up a bit so as not to strain yourself quite so much.

Do all your lifting safely, though - you know, squat and lift the loads with your legs and not your back, etc. If something makes you uncomfortable to lift, make it lighter or ask for help. You aren't delicate or fragile or anything, but there's no sense in overdoing it, either.

When in doubt, ask your doctor what they recommend. :thumbup:

Re: lifting, your body is pumping itself with hormones which relax muscles at the moment. That's why you're more prone to a muscle strain of you overdo it. I'm the worst with shopping (ie trying to bring 20 bags in from the car in one go rather than do several trips!). I know it's too much as I get a slight pulling sensation - I ease off, be sensible and it's fine. If in doubt, ask someone else to carry boxes - they won't mind! Of course those pg with a toddler will be lifting all the time.

As for cleaning products, I wear rubber gloves (don't bother normally). I avoid things like cleaning the oven - who am I kidding? That's something I avoid pg or not 😀

I've been lugging about crates of chrome books too. I also did the same with vintage laptops last time around and I now have a heavy 3YO I lift all the time. I've not had a problem but do lift properly. Bend you knees etc as the last OP suggested. wishing you a H&H pregnancy x

I been lifting and carying my son around ans he is 14kg, i try to be careful and this is probably as much as i can manage.
If you been doing that before you got pregnant and your body used to that then should be ok within reason, the same applies to sport, but its better to be more careful now

I have been continuing housework as normal; just make sure areas are well ventilated when using cleaning products. I have been having to carry my 3 year old which she doesn't really give me a choice about lol.

I think with heavy lifting with early pregnancy it is nore about causing damage to yourself rather than baby.. so you need to be careful to lift correctly.. i think in later pegnancy they tell you to avoid very heavy lifting in case of a tear to the placenta.. as others have said.. I spend half my days lifting my 2 year old so I wouldn't worry too much. Just don't overdo it :)

I have to carry my 2.5 yr old times! I used to worry more first pregnancy, I was still working in retail and was concerned about moving stock boxes and going up ladders etc, I have easier being a stay at home mum I think!
It's fine to carry on, healthy, sitting down your whole pregnancy would not do you any good (not suggesting you would) it's keeping it to normal levels and being safe.
Saying that my friend owns a farm and had to continue doing farm work the whole time and had a very healthy pregnancy!

In my first pregnancy I wouldn't even lift a box of paper in the office but now I am having to lug my toddler around (he is a big boy too) but it is what my body is used too you just have to be careful not to strain yourself :thumbup: as the ladies have said above!

Unfortunately yes you can still do housework unless you can get away with it with your OH :haha: :winkwink:

Nothing stops when im pregnant i do everything that needs to be done.

its ok to do what you normally do as thats what your body is use to. i was working full time in a warehouse up till i was 38 weeks. i was lifting and pulling things till the end

Pregnancy is not that delicate :). Lifting as you would beforehand is fine. I continued to lift heavy weights with Sophie (as in bar and plates).

think do what you are used too..saying that I have been lifting around my 2.5 year old daughter and ended up with a Sac bleed of 2cm so I have been told strictly no heavy lifting no sex no baths no swimming…YAY

i also am afraid to have sex, afraid it will cause complications

is it normal to be this nervous during first pregnancy?

Having sex is fine unless you've been told not to by a doctor or midwife.

It's normal to be this nervous with a first pregnancy, I know I certainly was! I remember googling whether coughing could harm the baby! :hugs::hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->