Is it too early for sonogram?

zumbaloverr

Reaction score
I called who will be my midwife during my pregnancy and said that I needed to make a first appointment. The nurse called me back and asked some basic questions (LMP, what symptoms I've been having etc.) and then gave me an appointment for next monday. She said first I'd have a sonogram and then I'd sit down with my midwife and have an appointment.

But after we got off the phone I started thinking about it... could it be too early for the baby to show up on a sonogram? I do not know how far along I am. I had mirena removed on April 23rd so I'm at MOST what... seven weeks? but probably more like 5 and some change. So let's say I'll be six weeks next week. Would that be too early to see or hear the baby's heartbeat? I'm a little worried they won't be able to see or hear it and so they'll think I MC'ed or something. I don't know....

I waited till eight weeks for my first ultrasound for that exact same reason. My best friend went in for her first and they said she had a blighted ovum... Two weeks later before her d and c there was a heartbeat... But then my other friend had twins and at 6w2d there were two heartbeats already. If it would make u feel better like me just push it back one more week. Plus it was so nice, at 8w3d it looked like a lil baby with little arm and leg buds instead of a blob :)

every 6 week scan I've had I've heard the baby's heart beat. But for alot of woman here that hasn't been the case and they have had to wait a couple weeks on egg shells because there had been nothing to see yet, just to be told "oh there it is!" in another week or two. I'd probably ask to wait till you think you're at 7 weeks at least to get it done if you think you'll be a nervous wreck if they can't see anything

i am just at 5 weeks myself today. I was worried myself but i actually had my first u/s last week at 4 weeks! so i was interested to see how much more they would be able to see. The nurse told me everything looked normal. That it was positioned in the right place. She was able to see the yolk so she knew it wasnt an empty sac :happydance: it was a very encouraging u/s. i posted a pic of what we were able to see today. Hope that makes you feel better! But just fyi... this was a vaginal u/s. Im not sure if thats what youll have or not. But i needed this today. ive been so scared that i had a tubal pregnancy or that the sac was empty. Both of those fears were relieved today. Its all personal preference. I will say that i can not WAIT for it to actually look like a baby and to see/hear the heartbeat! i think i might be able to relax after that. probably not though :haha:

Attachments

• 5 weeks u:s pic.jpg
    5 weeks u:s pic.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 21
Had a scan at 6 weeks and couldn't see much. Had another one at 7+4 and hb flickering away but it's not the same for everyone. Personally I would push it back another week or 2 to be sure. It depends how much of a worrier you are. I was expecting my to see much that early so I was ok but I know it freaks a lot of ladies out xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->