Is it true?

KatelynsMummy

Mummy to Katelyn!
Reaction score
Spoke to my doctor the other day about teething and the best thing to give, and he said that Anbesol liquid is something every mother should avoid, and so are most gels, we should stick to powders.
I obviously asked him why, and his reply was "when a baby is teething, there is more drool, if you apply a gel/liquid it wont actually get onto the gums from all the excess saliva, and they end up swallowing it and it can really numb their throat" :wacko:
Is this true? Or is he being a bit of a d**k... wouldn't be the first time that he made something up off the top of his head :flower:

I don't know - but I have heard that the gels rub off their gums very easily. I've started to put a little bit on my LO's dummy - the flat bit that goes on her gum - and find that seems to help her more than rubbing it in with a finger.

ive used it since Kay started teething, it was reccommended by my health visitor (Who is NOT a community one, and is constatnly retrained) AND again by the pharmacist!!
=) xxx

Maybe he was just talking out of his arse to make him sound good.. :haha:

I guess that could be true. It's the same when I put bonjela in my mouth for an ulcer, it's difficult to get it to stay where it should because of the saliva! It does kind of work though. I've never heard of teething powders, what do they do? xx

The same as gels, just in a powder form, apparently there better because of the texture of them, I use ashton and parsons for my LO and it seems to work :flower:

I don't like gels because they would never stay on her gums, as he said. However Anbesol is applied directly to the gum, and the effect is instantaneous, so I think he's talking out of his arse on that one. I've used anbesol myself when I've had a mouth ulcer, and it's much better than any gel I've tried. Also, how much does he think that you put on that there is a risk of it being swallowed? You wet the tip of a finger, that's it... :dohh:

Powders are all very well and good, but they don't work for every baby, and they aren't local anaesthetics! Also, not everyone believes in homeopathy.

Ho hum, I do wonder sometimes what these doctors are paid to do, if they can't even keep their own practice up-to-date...

It would be possible if the baby was drooling a lot and the gel wasnt applied properly.
I find it best to apply the gel on a teething dummy and let her bite on it so it goes directly to the gums, its hard trying to apply gels at the best of times, i know how it feels when I try and put bonjela on my own mouth ulcers, nightmare!
TBH, the teething powders are homepathic and its questionable if these actually work anyway, gels at least are very effective and do have that instant numbing effect, you just need to keep baby very still and make sure that the gels rubbed in to the gums well :)

I add it too the dummy. It could be true but i have tried it on my own gums and it DOES help:shrug:

Can i just ask where you get this Anbesol liquid? I can only find adult stuff.

tbh i dont really see how that could work with Anbesol.....i pop a small layer of liquid on my finger pressed down on his gums and spread it on his gums...it really is a small amount....i've used quite a large amount on me before and it still didnt make me throat numb....

most dr's do speak out of my bum...do you know mine told me hayfever doesnt exist in babies?? hahna! xxx

I'm using the natural powders at the moment but will start Anbesol when he gets more pain. I can believe that the gels might be a bit pointless as it's hard enough to keep them in your own mouth without swallowing it when you've got an ulcer- but like a PP said Anbesol is a liquid and instantly numbs wherever you dab it :shrug:

I add it too the dummy. It could be true but i have tried it on my own gums and it DOES help:shrug:

Chemist round me have it :) :flower:

anbesol liquid is white box with green stripe...it wont say for babnies or whatever on the tub...when you read instructions it gives you guidance for 'teething babies''''i got mine over nthe counter xx

I use Bonjela when teething is really bad it does seem to help, but i can see his point but tbh the drool just pours out her mouth more than anything.

We use ashton and parsons and it must do something as she actually opens her mouth for it when she sees the paper wrap!!

i use at if lo will let me:haha: safe to say she's not a fan of the taste:haha: x

Not sure it would actually numb the throat but i guess hes got a point that it doesnt always end up going on the gum, same as when you try putting it on an ulcer half of it slides off.
i use nelsons teetha granules and i swear they help my little man, he chills right out afterwards. i also use bonjela gel but rub it into my finger first then onto his gum and most of it goes on then, rather than trying to put a blob of it on, thats when it slides off.
i need to try that anbesol liquid , sounds good

Chemist round me have it :) :flower:

I got it over the counter in Boots. It is great, LO has most of his teeth now so don't need it much, but it instantly soothes, much better than anything else I've tried. I've never been warned off it by a doc or HV :shrug:

If you use shed loads of Gel, it can numb the throat. But your average Mum who reads the instructions wont have a problem!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->