Is metformin safe to take when pregnant?

Angels4

Reaction score
Hi all,

Will be trying for pregnancy number 5 soon (ive had 4 previous miscarriages), but my doc wants me to take metformin as soon as I get a positive test.

Has anyone taken metformin during pregnancy to reduce miscarriage risk?

He thinks its common to take but im just concerned if it has any side effects...google hasnt helped so thought I would ask you ladies!

Thanks

Hi sweetie, for what I read it is safe to take it during pregnancy. In fact they give this medication to women with diabetes who are pregnant.
I was diagnosed with "mild pcos" and currently being tested for my hormones in my next period to confirm this. After reading about the potential benefit of metformin during pregnancy (for women with pcos and who have miscarried before), I am thinking of taking it in my next pregnancy (had already 2 missed miscarriages no apparent cause, been tested on many things already, and nothing found).
My only question is: I read that its best to take it some periods before trying to conceive? anyone can answer this? Because apparently, PCOS reduces the quality of eggs ( due to hormonal imbalance), and metformin would work in benefit of this.

Any answer about this is highly appreciated!

Angels, it would be nice keeping in touch with you thru email to make updates about your situation and mine.

Best!

Flor

Yes but u should be on it before...most things in pregnancy are Determined way before u get 2 pink lines!
I started met 14 days ago and ovulated for the first time ever except for clomid induced ovulation with my son.

I have been on metformin for almost 2 years even after getting off diabetic meds my dr kept me on a low dose. I had an ectopic after less than a month on it and although it took awhile am expecting my first now. Still on metformin and will be through out my pregnancy and possibly beyond

I'm so sorry for your losses and hope you all get a sticky bean soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->