Is my baby too short?

bump#1

Reaction score
DS had a doctors app today so they did the usual weight/length check.

He's weighing 16lb 9 and is on the 50th Centile, but is only 24.5inches and on the 9th centile - he's just turned 5 months old.

The doctor noted that he'd dropped a centile in height so measured his head (which too has dropped) He said he is growing but just not very quickly and so long as he's developing well and proportional then not too worry.

It may be me being a bit superficial but i'm just thinking way ahead to the teen years and I don't want him to be picked on for being small.

Is anyone elses baby short for their age?

My baby was much smaller at that age. Only time will tell us how big or small they will be when they're older. My husband and I are average size, so our baby probably will be too.

Its their height at 4-5 years old that they can predict their adult height from; many babies gain in height well above or well below average in the first year-its only a worry if they really drastically falter in height and HC and weight at the same time. Aside from my youngest all mine started off quite long but didn't grow all that much in height in the first year, but as toddlers and young children they have shot up and all are in 1-2 years older in clothing xx

There is nothing wrong with being short, anyway! I was on the 3rd percentile up until they stopped measuring me at 5. Yes I turned out very short at 4' 10", but it hasn't ruined my life and I've never once been teased.

Thomas's dad is 5' 6" so short for a man, and he has also never once been teased.

Your LO is well within the range of "normal" so please don't worry. Thomas got measured at 9 months as being on the 15th percentile, but he shot up recently and grew 4cm in 2 months.

Also my son is normal and beautiful in every way, but he's dropped WAY off his birth percentiles for length and head circumference. Like, from 85th for length to around 30th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->