Is my mum a bit OTT??

brownlieB

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
I was telling mu mum about the nursery we chose for LO and she asked where they sleep and I said they have a room they put them in to nap and they set a timer and check on them every 10 mins.

She said do they have a monitor? I said no as they check on them every 10 mins!! She said well what if the baby chokes when they leave the room and they don't check them for 10 minutes that could be life or death 10 minutes!

I said mum don't be so ridiculous i've never heard of a baby choking to death in nursery when put down to nap, she's not in a padded room it's a room between the 2 main rooms and they can hear the babies if they're awake (they did when I was there they could hear one crying and went and settled her)

Is she being OTT or should they have a monitor in the room as well?

personally i feel shes got a good point, i would want a monitor but im not sure how nurserys run! x

In Archie's nursery there is an area sectioned off in the baby room with cots for napping - but its fully visible to staff at all times.

The only seperate room is where nappies are changed and that has windows so is clearly visible to anyone in the main baby room.

I would want a monitor too if the room isnt constantly in view.

To be honest, I'd agree with your mum.

My LO goes to nursery and they have a room for babies to nap in which they can keep an eye out on all times. I didn't ask if each cot has a monitor as it hasn't crossed my mind seen as they check on them regularly, so yes I do think your mum is being a bit OTT

hmm... well i worked in nurseries for years, and to be honest,someone always had to be present in the room...is there glass so they can see in?

As long as they can be seen and they're checked in on, I think it's fine.

I work in a nursery and i've never heard of them being alone in another room to sleep, at my nursery there is always at least one person in the room depending on how qualified they are and the babies sleep in cots in the baby room so they are fully visible but all children in the nursery are checked every 10 mins and written down on a chart

I think that's very ott, at my LOs nursery they nap in a separate room that has had the door taken off so the staff can see through, but they don't have people in there unless they are settling or getting a baby up. Plenty of people don't use a monitor at home, if they can see into the room I really don't think there's a problem. To be honest it never crossed my mind when Issy started there.

I don't think she's being OTT. I have to put LO in daycare soon and everyone we've visited has the sleeping area in the same room but away from the play area. I like that because at least the caregivers can see if there's a problem or whatever. I agree with your mom though, that ten minutes could be life or death, I think it's important that they have a monitor.

i dont think shes being OTT. my cousin and my aunty both work in (two seperate) nurserys, and ive been to see them at work. the nap room always has someone in there. they normally sit and read a book and drink a cup of coffee and check the LO's every 5-10 minutes or if any of them stir etc

at home i chedk my LO every 10 minutes but he is in a different room, but he is only 1 child and i have a baby monitor with me whenever he isnt.

with so many other children to look after id want someone around them constantly.

I would want a monitor tbh, our nursery the sleep room although sectioned off is in the same room where the staff are always present

I would agree with her too, I would want either a monitor or someone in the room - I wouldn't leave sophie to sleep at home without a monitor or without one of us in the room with her so I wouldn't be happy leaving her in a nursery where she was going to be left alone.

i think shes being ott. at my lo's nursery the cot room has 2 glass windows and no door so can be looked in on anytime, they also check on them and are constantly in and out putting one down or getting one up. it is clearly visible and you can hear everything. the nappy chenge area is directly outide the wall with no door, and there is almost ALWAYS someone in there! :haha: i dont think there is any need for a monitor and dont think it would be very practical. i dont use a monitor at home. and at nursery sperated by a piece of glass i feel sure she is well looked after.

I agree with your mum

What did they do before monitors were invented :dohh:

My LO only has the monitor on at night. During the day time if my LO falls asleep on me, then i will either lie him on his blanket on the floor, or on my bed or even sometimes he falls asleep in his pushchair when we have been out, so i leave him in there until he wakes up. I check on him regularly, but i wouldn't be fallowing him around with a monitor.

If you want to be extreme then why not use a heart rate monitor :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->