Is she feeding enough?

0stara

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this part of the forum, but could use some advice.

I am mummy to 9 day old Elena, who spent the first 5 days of her life in special care due to tummy problems (fluid from the womb went a bit bad).

She is home now, we are having a ball, but she sleeps for very long periods (up to 5 and a half hours at a time), then is awake for long periods (up to 4 hours, with catnaps in the middle). During her awake periods she feeds lots, usually a couple of big ones, and some intermittent. Plus the changing and fussy bits.

I know every baby is different, but I was led to believe that demand breastfeeding would be a whole lot more frequent! She latches on well to both boobs, providing she is on her right side for both. I have doubts about the production on my right boob :shrug: as she always seems to be hungry again sooner after that side. Also it doesn't seem as heavy after a long gap.

Any tips? Advice would be welcome, thank you xxx

Personally I wouldnt let my baby go more than 3 hrs during the day without nursing at that young age..Is she nursing at least 8 times in 24 hrs? You may find that soon she will want to nurse very often. Some babies are very sleepy early on and can hardly be woken to nurse. So be prepared for some crazy nursing to come your way. And a word of advice if this happens. It may be a growth spurt. Your breasts will probably feel empty and baby will act like she isnt getting enough. Dont give bottles. Nurse her, even if you feel empty. Even if its been only 15 minutes since she last ate. After a few days all of the crazy cluster feeding will result in an increase in milk supply and her feeding habits should settle a bit. My dd is almost 3 months and she nurses every 2 hrs and I am expecting it to stay this way another 6 months at least.
My right side has always made more. I nurse her just a tiny bit more on my left side to stimulate it more so it evens it out a little. I usually will pump the right side when I skip a nursing on that side just to keep it from getting too full

It's totally normal to have a "better" producing side or one that baby prefers (mine is righty...we both hate lefty :wacko: but I put him on it otherwise it would never produce milk). If righty is a problem after she is done with that you can offer lefty as dessert if you think there is no more milk left in that one. Just check by squeezing your boob lightly and if milk droplets come out then you can still stick with that same boob - and that will be the nice rich fatty milk as well.

As far as the long nap at 5 hours...I think I would wake your babe up gently at about 3 hours and do a sort of dreamy feed if possible and then back to bed right away. All babes are different and perhaps she is getting her fair share of milk during her awake/cluster feeding periods.

Sounds like you're doing great and enjoying your baby!

My little girl always slept long stretches and has been caking weight on - I never woke her up and she slept 3-4 hours between feeds until this week when she's awake more now she's a bit older. x

Thank you all for your responses - they have been really helpful :) Last night she definitely started a cluster feed! She was on pretty much constantly from 9pm to 11pm. Two lots of 25 minutes, then continued feeding sporadically until about 3am. Was bloomin' tired I can tell you! She has now been asleep for 3 and a half hours this evening, but dinner is nearly ready, lol, so will wake her for a feed straight after. Then bath, story, more feed and bed. Hopefully that will be enough to get me a few hours early sleep tonight!

Also I started expressing on my 'difficult' boob yesterday, to stimulate production. Only getting half an oz for 30 mins full on pumping (electric) but it's a start. I've also discovered she latches and stays on better if she lays on her right side, for for right booby I put her in the rugby ball position. I think it helps!

Uh oh... I can hear fussing... might be a cold dinner tonight!

Thanks again, will be hanging around this part of the forum for a while I reckon. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->