• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Is Sperm morphology really an issue?

kat08

Reaction score
Got our sperm test results back and have been told results are ok apart from morphology which is 8% when it should be over 15%

Had a look at some articles on the internet and it seems to suggest morphology is not really an issue.

Anyone in a similar position have any advice?

We were told morphology is an issue as it can mean that they are deformed and there can be chromosomal abnormalities - we have been sent for karotype test to ensure that there are no chromosome or dna issues for us.

We were also told that if the morphology is low then you have less chance of successful fertilisation.

According to WHO (the World Health Organization), semen of quality viable for fertilization contains 60% normal sperm morphology, meaning even a sample containing 40% abnormal sperm is still considered to be within normal parameters.

BUT.... as pants as it all sounds above, the clinic were quite clear that one SA does not give a good overall picture - results can vary quite widely and plenty of men can have abnormal results re quantity and quality then when they re-test they can improve dramatically and go up so much they are in the 'normal' realms?

Changing your lifestyle and taking the right supplements and vitamins can make a huge difference though - my DH has been doing it for 6 months and we are due a re-test end of the month - at his last one in Jan he had shown an 800% improvement xx

Ooh that sounds really helpful. Sperm issues and PCOS would not be a good mix!

I promise that if he does another sperm test there is every chance there will be an improvement. Did they give you advice on what he can do?

My DH has taken 1000mg of vit c, wellman tablets (if you are in the UK) and he takes MACA xx

No they didn't give us any advice as she said it was "ok" - main issue is with my PCOS

I recommend zinc and vit c combo vitamins. Got them from aldi for my OH
good luck
Mrs H
xxx
:hug:

The FS recommended for us the usual, no hot baths, loose underwear, eat healthy, lose an excess pounds and take more exercise. Then they said about the vits - the wellman batch cover just about everything that they say you need for male fertility - not exactly cheap (about £7 for a month's supply) but they must work if my DH had an improvement.

Bit poor show them not giving you any advice hun - who knows, if your DH's swimmers start wriggling super fast it could really help speed up the whole pregnancy process! Good luck! xx

My DH has poor morphology 7%, but a good amount and good motility. The FS that reffered me for IVF (blocked tubes) reckoned the sperm was ok and would get someone pregnant but it may just take longer than an average couple. Until my lap and dye we thought that was the problem.

My IVF consultant however has recommended ICSI because of the morphology, so it must be a bit of a problem if they don't reckon it will fertalise the egg when it is placed right next to it. it doesn't have to swim anywhere just burrow on in. However I don't care, whatever has more chance of working. Might care though if first two goes on NHS fail and have to pay for one myself!!

Anyway, I suppose i don't know the answer, but I am guessing it coukld be the cause of why its taking so long. IVF or ICSI will increase your chances but I am guessing you will not be offered it on NHS unless you have been trying for three years. They will not see it as a sifficient barrier to conception.

MY DH tried vitamins, cutting down on alcohol and still it is the same BUT it is important to continue these things anyway as other have had a massive improvement. Good luck with it all :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"